+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mage Soul Idea - The Theurgist

Default Mage Soul Idea - The Theurgist

Been a while since I've done and suggested a class, and with the current circumstances of Rift I am here to suggest this class to the Mage calling.

The Theurgist

The Theurgist is an offensive Mage who channels the planar powers of Earth and contorts the ethereal powers of the Rifts into himself to increase his combat proficiency. Relying on not spells, but rather deadly swings augmented by the planes, the Theurgist is a fearsome if unconventional Mage.

Strengths

The Mage by default is not a melee combatant. It is very common for opponents on the field of battle to close in on a Theurgist, only to find themselves struck back with concussive blows and their attacks made more cumbersome with crushing gravitational forces. Theurgists rely just as much on the Charge that they build with their swings, if not more so, than the Mana used in creating that Charge.

Weaknesses

Despite his classification as a Mage, the Theurgist is largely unskilled in ranged warfare. Ranged attackers who can keep a Theurgist at bay will find themselves an easy target in this Mage.

Playing as a Theurgist

When you choose to be a Theurgist, it is imperative to note that you have no ranged attacks. Another thing of mention is the extensive amount of abilities that consume your Charge. When you reach your target, you have a decision to make while crushing your target to pieces. Do you hold your Charge until you can unleash a flurry of devastating blows, keep your charge low to apply a constant pressure, or instead save it for a defensive maneuver that will deflect a deadly blow? You are also not hindered by cast times, as you are swinging a weapon and not wiggling your finger.

Key Abilities

0 Points

Theurgy - Passive. Increases the Mage's Attack Power by their Spell Power, Melee Critical by their Spell Critical, and Melee Hit by their Spell Focus.

Weighted Blow -
    3% of Maximum Mana. Generates 10 Charge. A crushing attack that deals weapon plus X to Y damage.

10 Points

Crush - 25 Charge. The Mage deals a blow laden with crushing Earth energy, dealing weapon plus X to Y damage. Has a 50% bonus from Attack Power. Increases damage of next Weighted Blow by 20%.

16 Points

Lift - 7% of Maximum Mana. Melee Range. 30 second Cooldown. Generates 20 Charge. The Mage slams his weapon upwards into his enemy, dealing X to Y damage and blasting them with gravitational force. This force will send them upwards and render them helpless in the air for 5 seconds.

20 Points

Burrow - 5% Maximum Mana. 20 Meter Range. 15 second cooldown. Burrow underneath the ground and violently emerge at the target's feet, knocking up all enemies within 5 meters and dealing weapon plus X to Y damage.

26 Points

Crack - 5% of Maximum Mana. Melee Range. 20 second cooldown. The Mage swings his weapon and cracks the target over the head, dealing X to Y damage. Has a 50% bonus from Attack Power. Reduces Power and Energy regeneration by 50% for 15 seconds.

31 Points

Gravitational Field - Consumes Charge while active. Cannot gain Charge while active. 1 Minute 30 second cooldown. The Mage calls upon the gravitational forces from the Plane of Earth itself to weigh down on his enemies. Slows down all enemies within 10 meters by 30%, siphons 20 Energy and Power a second from affected targets, and increases the Mage's Mana by 5% each time it drains Energy or Power.

32 Points

Diamond Casing -
    Consumes 20 Charge when attacked by a damaging melee ability. Charge cannot be gained while this spell is active. Increases the Mage's physical mitigation by 40% and deals 50% of physical damage taken back to the caster.

44 Points

Staff of Stone -
    Consumes 50 Charge. 2 Minute Cooldown. For the next 6 seconds, all physical attacks will be parried and the Mage will return all physical damaging abilities with a Weighted Blow.

51 Points

Earthen Fury -
    Lasts 1 hour. The Theurgist permanently takes on an Earthen form, replacing his skin with raw stone. Increases Endurance by an amount equal to 50% of your Intelligence and increases the bonus from Attack Power from your attacks by an additional 25%.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Mage souls would augment this soul, depending on the preference the Theurgist wanted to take.
    If he wants more durability, he can head on over to the Chloromancer and get some instant heals and a root / snare break.
    With the Pyromancer he nets himself a ranged root, a teleport / cc break, and some nice instants or cc.
    As an alternative, the Dominator's excellent magic superiority would fill in some gaps in his defenses. He could always pick up the Charge bonus from the Warlock Tree, or have himself a low maintenance Water Elemental to snare his foes at range with the Elementalist.

Feel free to tell me my idea sucks and etc. etc.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Rift Disciple

Actually without being a troll...

It sounds way too fun to be a Mage soul. I would go 51 in a second lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by prysk View Post
    Anyway, we was so horny for this game...

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStamp View Post
    Actually without being a troll...

It sounds way too fun to be a Mage soul. I would go 51 in a second lol.
    Looks cool but given that likes of necro dont get perma Lich no way theyd go perma golem etc.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey View Post
    Looks cool but given that likes of necro dont get perma Lich no way theyd go perma golem etc.
    I agree.

Looking at the bonuses I'd say maybe 20s, if that.
    Quote Originally Posted by prysk View Post
    Anyway, we was so horny for this game...

Sure, some of the abilities suggested would need better balancing, but I think this is a fantastic idea. Most likely won't get implemented, but ranks 10/10 for me.

Thumbs up

This is something I was hoping to see when they first introduced the concept of the soul system. Iirc AoC had a similier class that turned you into some bad *** demon melee creature and i really liked the concept. I was really hoping for the day when a mage would have a chance to tank through spells and not relie on heavy armor and I think this could easily evolve into that.

Trion take notes I think you have a winner here!
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isnít a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

Soulwalker

Seems like this would be really awful for leveling. Mages are ranged for a reason: because they wear cloth. Some kind of passive armor increase or something early in the tree would make this much better.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gorelord View Post
    Seems like this would be really awful for leveling. Mages are ranged for a reason: because they wear cloth. Some kind of passive armor increase or something early in the tree would make this much better.
    Easy to fix. Like you said, a kind of armor that has it's effectiveness increased depending on how many points you are into the tree. At 51 points you would have equal to chain. Also add a few avoidance buffing/damage nerfing skills and it would be golden. This could even be a tank soul for mages

Rift Disciple

well can easy make this to a "tank" soul for mage just add an skill at 16(for dps) and 18(for tanking) like the other non warrior tanks both giveing respective bonuses and difrent efect on how u gain use and build charge.

and also yes give them a very limited range ability.

but then the 51 point skill will be a bit to efective so maybe change it to dmg reduction for a 12-15 secs
    whid added 25% dmg or spellpower/attak? but ofc keep the golem look.

low tire talents can be earth dmg, endurence, armor, spellpower,?.

lvl 0 skills earth shield(armor buff you need to survive the lower lvls) and a charge like abilty? and the other 2.

that way it can go 2 sided way.

now just figure out a mana restore trick?
    a skill gained at 16 giveing mana returned based on dmg done (minor need to use cooldowns to fill up or a pot). and in tank mode mana gained on dmg taken and healing taken(moderate).

My only problem with this would be in the balancing. I could see some crazy shenanigans with this in conjunction with Lock, with like a 0 point Chloro for spores to self heal. "Theu/Lock/Chloro looking for 4 DPS for expert dungeon, PST" very well could pop up if the tanking becomes legit. Bonus hp from lock, etc etc.

Rift Disciple

non talented spores do not heal its the life giving buff thats a bit later that do the healing

We need melee mage! Yes!

Plane Touched

Sounds like a fun class to play! With some tweaks it would be golden, but we all know Trion plans to remove mage from the game.

Eh, sorry I want to be a mage because I want to melt faces from a distance, if I wanted this, I would have rolled a warrior. Just increase our damage pretty much all around and you won't need more survivability.

Bumping to the frooont

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast