+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: did I waste a point in empty the crypts?

Default did I waste a point in empty the crypts?

Sounded like it could be a fun situational spell, but quite frankly its usefulness seems non existant because of its short duration and the fact that it uses charge. What is the appropriate conditions that i would use ETC instead of soulpurge?
    My Rig- 486DX2 66mhz, 8 megs ram, 3DFX voodoo graphics accelerater. 15 inch monitor from CompUSA. Microsoft 4 button joystick.

Well, it's fun when you can launch a half dozen of your best fiends...er friends at the end boss in a Rift cycle. By then, you should have a full charge going anyway (anything less is a waste). I really don't know how much damage these fire-and-forget pets do, but I have noticed that you can't seem to charge at all during their up-time.

A waste? Can't say, but they're great in a pinch provided you have the charge. Of course, doing Soul Purge seems a far more tempting use for all that charge to, so for me it's more getting some lulz with the sudden arrival of the "troops".

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sylivis View Post
    What is the appropriate conditions that i would use ETC instead of soulpurge?
    There isn't one.

Yes, you wasted a point.

It's fun, but from a min-max standpoint it's not really a good use of your charge. The duration is too short and the mobs spawned are too stupid to really make full use of it.

Thematically it's kinda fun to pop that and the 51 point ability at the same time though.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Its a waste of a point. Sucks because its a cool idea but it draining charge is way too much. Soul purge is always better to use plus their AI is dumb, by the time they get to hit the person you're almost out of charge.

If anything just make it cost ~50 charge or something and then last for 30 seconds.

<PREGAME ALLSTARS> Gatoraide - 3x Mage Regulos US PvP
    Nadril -3x Rogue | Guardian | www.zackcerny.net | MAGES ARE THE WORST CLASS

Rift Disciple

yea both ETC and the 51 point talent in necro is about useless well the 51 skill might do some dmg and also dont use charge but both of them spend most 2-5 secs standing there and offen not getign many hits on target unless u stand on it its offen better to just use SP in the long run the 3 secs u are casting the spell u could have spamed around 2 bolts and refreshed dots.

if it got changed to longer duaration instant and not consume charge when active now then we are talking of usefullness

51 point skill make instant aswell time and efect is fine

Telaran

Step 1 Cast Exume before either extra pet summons or dare i say watch for opportunity procs
    step 2 ???
    step 3 Profit

Also cast insta dot immediately after pets spawn to get them on target. Suggestions Necrosis or Looming Demise. Dont forget to lich form too.
    Last edited by Rikam; 03-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.

They actually are better than most people would think, but I dislike how there is an inbuilt timer despite not stating it has one. If you use any skills that can void the "no charge can be gained" they still disappear in about 10~15 seconds. Although personally they deal around 300~400DPS, which ontop of your casting can top soul purge in DPS. It isn't great and I would personally wish they made it a skill that can be kept up for longer periods of time :/ But this is what the "what do you like" and "what do you not like" button is for ingame. The forums can only do so much. In dungeons I quite like it...but they always called me crazy!

Also fun is to be had with the stupidest build ever: NecroDom. Exume, cast Crypts, cast split personality. PETS EVERYWHERE~!!1!!! I did a premade group for WF about a week ago that we all did this...so many zombies...so many shades and we all died pretty much instantly right after doing it.
    Last edited by wallweasels; 03-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Telaran

I here its a good 51 point necro when use with lock opourtunity. Other that that most say it sucks I am in the it sucks camp but I've neaverd used it with 51 points in necro.

Telaran

If you're fighting a singular boss with little movement and no AOE (i.e. a target dummy...), you can run up and pop ETC for more dps than that bar of charge would give with soul purge.

That being said, the situations where the AI works right *and* they don't get blown to bits by an off target aoe *and* it's safe to run in (so they don't have to run and act stupid)... are few enough that I think it's a wasted point.

They ought to remake this talent so they are on a timer and remove them from charge entirely.

I tried using it for a while, but the complete draining of all my charge for such a poorly coded "pet" that is so situational just frustrated me.

I'd rather save my charge for purging, which in addition to doing good damage also ensures that neither you nor your pet are dying. So many bosses have a chance to randomly attack you that having no charge can be an easy way to "opt out" early from a fight. Saving charge for soul purge can lighten the load on your healers, which can easily be the difference between a kill and a wipe.
    The gates of Auschwitz were not opened with peace talks. Holland was not liberated by peacekeepers and fascism was not defeated with a deft pen - Rick Mercer

Shadowlander

it's a fun ability and pretty cool with the 51 point ability, but with that being said I usually never waste the casting time and only use it when opportunity procs and if the boss is a really easy boss that doesn't aoe or require a lot of movement which are fewer and fewer as you lvl up and do experts/t1/t2/raids so it's really up to you if you want to get it or not I suppose.

Shadowlander

I think I may retry this if you can now gain charge whilst using it. The potential for the minions to be around long enough to do damage is somewhat improved with the 20sec max duration.

Quote Originally Posted by renton View Post
    I think I may retry this if you can now gain charge whilst using it. The potential for the minions to be around long enough to do damage is somewhat improved with the 20sec max duration.
    The duration was always 20 seconds, providing your charge lasted that long. The pets will still have bad AI, still waste time standing still when they spawn....the only thing this change does is it lets you soul purge while they're out. Still sub optimal, but a nice step in the right direction.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast