+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My hands can't take playing a stormcaller

Default My hands can't take playing a stormcaller

Hey there, I've been gaming since forever and know all too well about the wear and tear on my hands. That's why I like to play DPS classes as they tend to get the job done the quickest (both giving and recieving) which saves my hands a lot of pain.

Rift is the first game in my personal history that has physically been painful to play to the point I have to put it down. Hell I even play titan quest and magicka on a regular basis and they are not so bad.

Anyways I tested it last night, and it takes 12-13 casts of lightning or icicle to drop a mob. Doesn't matter... as ice does more base damage but lightning crits more often. That's per mob folks, then take into account all the grinding in this game. 12 clicks a mob adds up fast and I'm going to have to retire my Stomcaller for my warrior because he only takes 4 clicks to kill an equal mob.

Any suggestions how I can play a caster requiring fewer mouse clicks/keyboard presses?

Shadowlander

I run chloro while running with a melee dps, saves me alot of trouble ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Rmpz View Post
    I run chloro while running with a melee dps, saves me alot of trouble ^^
    While I agree bringing someone along helps with fewer clicks, it's worse overall because every other class makes a mage feel useless.

Soulwalker

Dude.. Your doing it wrong.

Arctic Blast/Icicle > Raging Storm/Thunderboltx3 > Ice Shear > Static Flux > Lightning Strike > Lightning Field/Neural Prod

This is with a SC/Elementalist build
    Last edited by InffecteD; 03-21-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Shadowlander

Not sure what level you are at but I leveled up to about level 32 as a boring necro, pet tank dot and rot spec which was pretty effective if i recall correctly.

At 32 I switched to a pyro build something like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zI__.xfu0zusuzs (pvp server) which although requiring more button presses was infinitely more fun as you actually got to kite and snare mobs instead of having your pet tank them.

It was still far fewer than 12 button presses though, probably about 6 in total for an average mob.

Soulwalker

Have you tried using the in-game macro system? I haven't used it myself, but my guild mates were talking about it. If it's like any other game, you can assign a group of actions/abilities to a single key stroke. Also, as said before, necro only takes maybe 5 key strokes at MOST and seems to be the easiest class to level with for a caster (though it is a little boring). Good luck!

Shadowlander

I am level 22 right now and for my stormcaller I use Elementalist as second soul up to three points in charged and Dominator as the third for Neural Prod (great sinergy with SC air enchancement talents).

Usually my rotation goes something like this:

Thunderbolt x3 or Raging storm (to build three electric charges), Ice shear (gives me +30% damage on air/water spells on electrified mobs for 15 secs), hit Static Flux (+20% damage on air/water spells), Lightning strike (+15% crit chance and +15% damage from Charged), Cloudburst (has a +75% damage at this point), cancel Static Flux to save/build more charge.

If Lightning Strike Crits (+25% crit chance with talents) the mob is dead or almost dead, if not I cast Thunderbold, Neural Prod or Cloudburst until he does.

Sure, not four clicks, but not that slow. Hope this helps.

Shadowlander

Can't Edit so will post it here because got some numbers wrong.

Cloudburst would be +95% damage, not +75%. (+45% three Electric charges, +30% Ice Shear, +20% Static Flux).

Lighting Strike would be +65% damage (+30% IS, +20% SF, +15% Charged talent).

Edited to delete my own Quote.
    Last edited by Calamar; 03-21-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InffecteD View Post
    Dude.. Your doing it wrong.

Arctic Blast/Icicle > Raging Storm/Thunderboltx3 > Ice Shear > Static Flux > Lightning Strike > Lightning Field/Neural Prod

This is with a SC/Elementalist build
    17/SC 5/ELE atm. Icicle does the same as Thunderbolt because the crits/casting times even out.

It takes an average of 12 artics to kill a yellow mob with just the earth pet on it. My hands freaking kill after just 20 minutes, then I usually have to take a long break.
    Last edited by Trisian; 03-21-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    17 SC 5 elemental atm. Icicle does the same as Thunderbolt because the crits/casting times even out.

It takes an average of 12 artics to kill a yellow mob with just the earth pet on it. My hands freaking kill after just 20 minutes.
    Arctic blast isnt even spammable anymore. And if you think using the mage with only 1 skill is gonna work your playing the wrong class. I have every single SC/Ele skill hotkeyed(20+) and use almost all of them. Stormcaller and pyro have the same goal and that is to apply as much damage-increasing skills to fire off high damage nukes etc.

The mage class should have the most keybinds compared to any other class. If you want easy-mode reroll a warrior and set your skills into 1 macro. Also, it seems your pretty low leveled still dont worry it will get better as you level up. Otherwise just find a leveling build around these forums and try that out.
    Last edited by InffecteD; 03-21-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgog View Post
    Have you tried using the in-game macro system? I haven't used it myself, but my guild mates were talking about it. If it's like any other game, you can assign a group of actions/abilities to a single key stroke. Also, as said before, necro only takes maybe 5 key strokes at MOST and seems to be the easiest class to level with for a caster (though it is a little boring). Good luck!
    Macros won't really help a stormcaller because you have to prep your buffs properly instead of praying the stars align with many of the more lazy classes. (rogues cough) Also the way macros work in rift they don't really cut back on the clicking. You just click 1 a billion times instead of 5.

Arctic blast isnt even spammable anymore. And if you think using the mage with only 1 skill is gonna work your playing the wrong class. I have every single SC/Ele skill hotkeyed(20+) and use almost all of them.

The mage class should have the most keybinds compared to any other class. If you want easy-mode reroll a warrior and set your skills into 1 macro. Also, it seems your pretty low leveled still dont worry it will get better as you level up. Otherwise just find a leveling build around these forums and try that out.
    I spammed 1 spell for testing you moron. Can we get some posters who don't breathe through their mouths please? InffecteD needs to go back to the ward.
    Last edited by Trisian; 03-21-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Soulwalker

Macros won't really help a stormcaller because you have to prep your buffs properly instead of praying the stars align with many of the more lazy classes. (rogues cough) Also the way macros work in rift they don't really cut back on the clicking. You just click 1 a billion times instead of 5.

I spammed 1 spell for testing you moron. Can we get some posters who don't breathe through their mouths please? InffecteD needs to go back to the ward.
    Seriously? i came here trying to help out not to get some childish reply. Why the hell would anyone spam 1 spell for a single monster? You came here complaining that your hands hurt from pressing buttons on a keyboard. Mages cant live off only a few spells. Period.

Seriously? i came here trying to help out not to get some childish reply. Why the hell would anyone spam 1 spell for a single monster? You came here complaining that your hands hurt from pressing buttons on a keyboard. Mages cant live off only a few spells. Period.
    you're post was full of snide and insults. What you consider "helping" most other consider "stealing their oxygen". I don't need help from WoW players thanks.

I have to agree with the OP, it feels like that some souls have complex layering of their abilities. Granted, that's what I love about them, but sometimes it can be a tad bit confusing and feels like you're playing a piano when playing a mage at times.

Soulwalker

you're post was full of snide and insults. What you consider "helping" most other consider "stealing their oxygen". I don't need help from WoW players thanks.
    What's the point of this thread then? Howbout you form a constructive question before even asking it because all i hear from you is that your fingers hurt from casting one spell and your clearly misunderstanding the point im trying to make.

Take it however you want, im sure others agree with me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast