+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: State of the PvP mage?

Soulwalker

Default State of the PvP mage?

First I'm only level 44. So please feel free to just onload the usual crap to increase your post count.

When I got this game the two souls that apeled to me were dominator and SC. Both have recived some nerfs since launch, the ugly thing is that domi werent even in patch notes wich makes it an ugly Stealth nerf.

In pvp curently the one mage build to rule them all seem to be Pyromanser with GoS. I have tried the build, it works and is so boring to play that I cant stand it.

I have tried a SC/elemental build with some succses, but warriors and rogues goin imune to snares and knockbacks makes it at most times a bad build.

My Dominator/archmage build is the one I enyoj most. Lots of buttons and answears to most situations. The nerf to DR and cc times however have made the build a lot less powerful. Not getting anything in return for the loss of controll also kinda sucks.
    The build dosent do wery much damage, some of the cast times and CD's just feel ridicules. But I will prolly stick with it for awhile more, because there arent really any viable alternatives (exept GoS).

No idea why I even made this post, just feeling frustrated at the moment. Trion when are you going to balance the PvPgame? or stealth nerf champs for that matter.

Rift Master

51 point Archon, 44 point Necro, Warlock, are all specs you can try.

Not sure how you can think Pyro is boring, but to each his own.

Rift Disciple

I hope you like your guardians extra extra crispy. Cuz thats how I make em'.

http://i54.tinypic.com/dlm4jd.jpg
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-21-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonlove View Post
    Not sure how you can think Pyro is boring, but to each his own.
    How is it NOT boring? The spec doesn't rely on any spell rotations besides throwing a flamebolt in at the start for the +10% dmg. The spec also revolves around GoS meaning you have 0 mobility in the spec, I feel like a monkey could play it.

Sitting still spamming fireballs hoping for procs or fulminate to come off cd is probably the most bored I have ever been with my mage. Sadly it's also the most viable magespec in WF's, trion seems to have a thing with ******specs (champ/pyro/vk/sabo hello).
    Last edited by Flaming; 03-21-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    WAR: FLAMING RR79 BW | Stop Hammertime RR63 IB
    Aion: Flaming 50 Sorc | Yowza 50 Assassin/50 Gladiator

Flamu <Happy Hour> - Prestige Rank 6 - Whitefall PvP

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming View Post
    How is it NOT boring? The spec doesn't rely on any spell rotations besides throwing a flamebolt in at the start for the +10% dmg. The spec also revolves around GoS meaning you have 0 mobility in the spec, I feel like a monkey could play it.

Sitting still spamming fireballs hoping for procs or fulminate to come off cd is probably the most bored I have ever been with my mage. Sadly it's also the most viable magespec in WF's, trion seems to have a thing with ******specs (champ/pyro/vk/sabo hello).
    I think my 8.7k-10k nukes are pretty awesome and fun imo.

Rift Disciple

While Pyro seems to be the flavor-of-the-week, I'm pretty happy with my War/Necro/Archmage build. Good survivability in WFs, can solo many classes, and fun to play.

- Nedra's Essence + Shadow Life keeps you alive (albeit for a brief time) when being focused
    - Essence Link is a nice little debuff you can spam in WFs
    - Lethargy/Wither slows down shard runners
    - Dark Fury stops players from grabbing fangs, capping flags, etc.
    - Detaunt, silence, fear - each nice when you're facing 2 players at once
    - Have a pet to grab emergency mana from

DPS isn't going to top the charts in most cases, unless you're spamming Devouring Shadows - not a good idea most of the time. After trying many different souls this seems the most effective and enjoyable to play.

I have another heavy-Dominator spec that is a nightmare for other teams and just as fun in it's own right, but almost no damage output so not advised unless in group pvp with a reliable healer.

I've always liked the idea of healing as a result of damage done. Played an Archmage in Warhammer which was supposed to work that way but never really did.

So the Chloromancer was a natural fit for me. Before 50 I tried several defensive versions of the chloro for PvP...usually Chloro/Dom but I found them lacking. Now I play variations of the Chloro/Warlock and I'm having tons of fun.

The key to me is in the mindset: I don't go into PUG WFs to BE a healer... I go in there to survive and kill and, oh yeah, by the way, all you guys around me? you're welcome for all those extra heals you get from me. Trying to BE a healer in a PUG WF is a really frustrating experience with all these people running around like chickens with their heads cut-off, constantly out of my range, moving independently with little thought to objectives... I pity anyone who goes into those with the idea that they're going to keep the raid up by healing them...

Premades are a whole different thing, especially if you have voice coordination. I actually use my PvE Chloro build for those with the 3 points in Natural Fusion for the enhanced Synthesis, etc.

Anyway... some version of Chloro/Lock is my preferred PvP build, I like it's mobility and survivability.

I too have tried Pyro PvP and I wouldn't say "boring" but it's different: it's more about either being a stationary turret or running to a new place to be one there. When it works it's a lot of fun with its great DPS but it's not just more cannon, it's also more glass...shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think my 8.7k-10k nukes are pretty awesome and fun imo.
    You must be high when you pvp if you think you're seeing a nuke for 10k.

Playing a pyro requires more than just drop GOS and spam attacks. You have to manage a detaunt to keep warriors and rogues from ripping you apart, manage charge effectively because you have 2 vital powers that us it (fulminate and the arch mage shield), and in a proracted fight one that's all but manditory to keep you from running out of mana. You still have to try and sync targets with your allies, and if you're using a macro you can't use the "target my target" function as your target literally switches from your ally to his target. (maybe I'm doing this wrong with the macros? I dunno...) You also need to be aware of your possition in relation to your allies, and know when to bugger out and fall back when they abandon you.

If all you people do is throw down GOS and nuke till you die, you're a pretty poor pvper.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

Playing a pyro requires more than just drop GOS and spam attacks. You have to manage a detaunt to keep warriors and rogues from ripping you apart, manage charge effectively because you have 2 vital powers that us it (fulminate and the arch mage shield), and in a proracted fight one that's all but manditory to keep you from running out of mana. You still have to try and sync targets with your allies, and if you're using a macro you can't use the "target my target" function as your target literally switches from your ally to his target. (maybe I'm doing this wrong with the macros? I dunno...) You also need to be aware of your possition in relation to your allies, and know when to bugger out and fall back when they abandon you.

If all you people do is throw down GOS and nuke till you die, you're a pretty poor pvper.
    Not using your utility or cc makes you bad anything not just Pyro, why do pepole on forums always treat all other pepole like morons?

Think I'll stick with my flicker/domi build for awhile more, and keep praying for a buff or something.
    Last edited by Rickie82; 03-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Uh, you can check my SS's. Let me show you a few.

Note that also, a critical hit is 1.5x your nuke, here is a regular non-crit for 6300, which would be around 9.45k if it crit which I have seen it do so but I don't have SS's of the critical hit. I figured everyone else that was a mage got the same stuff, until recently I was told that its uncommon so I've started to SS them.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2q99qte.jpg

I have a ton of these, so you can think what you like, but I'm obviously not high lol.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-21-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Uh, you can check my SS's. Let me show you a few.

Note that also, a critical hit is 1.5x your nuke, here is a regular non-crit for 6300, which would be around 9.45k if it crit which I have seen it do so but I don't have SS's of the critical hit. I figured everyone else that was a mage got the same stuff, until recently I was told that its uncommon so I've started to SS them.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2q99qte.jpg

I have a ton of these, so you can think what you like, but I'm obviously not high lol.
    How old are those? The reason I ask is that I also used to spec enough into Dom to get the +50% from Controlled Opportunity after a Transmorgigy and I would use it in combo with other temporary + damage abilities to get it into nearly +100%... but it seemed to me that it was stealth nerfed last patch and it doesn't seem to combine with the other + damage skills... at least the ones I've tried from chloro and necro.

Rift Disciple

They are from yesterday.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.

They are from yesterday.
    Cool. So it seems that at least it's still working for you... 51/15/0 Pyro/Dom Arch right?

Rift Disciple

Yeppers and you can set up 10k nukes all day. Except for perhaps, the dumber people who think I'm just..."high".
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast