+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why do spells crit with only 50% more dmg?

Soulwalker

Default why do spells crit with only 50% more dmg?

First of all, i dont want to complain about anything

i'am just curious why spell crits deal 50% more damage and physical crits deal 100%.
    Is there a need to?
    Dont see any reason why this should be. Can anyone give me a reason?

Rift Disciple

Not an explanation, but this crit scaling setup has been in existence for quite some time in many games. I'm not sure why, but it is fairly standard now.

I assume because the potential of Fulminate critting for even more would make baby warriors cry even more?
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by maxvla View Post
    Not an explanation, but this crit scaling setup has been in existence for quite some time in many games. I'm not sure why, but it is fairly standard now.
    but there has to be a reason why every game copied this.

Telaran

What's acceptable?? 70% 90% 100%???.... 50% seems perfectly reasonable to me, any higher and everyone would just stack crit and not even worry about power.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by S0nnyboy View Post

i'am just curious why spell crits deal 50% more damage and physical crits deal 100%.
    Is there a need to?
    Physical crit was changed to 50% more damage as well back in beta if I remember correctly to be in line with magic crit. So it should be the same now. Is it not?

Well remember Tempest used to give us "attack power" style crits, and see how quickly that was nerfed :P So...yeah
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

100% crit damage would be ridiculous.

<PREGAME ALLSTARS> Gatoraide - 3x Mage Regulos US PvP
    Nadril -3x Rogue | Guardian | www.zackcerny.net | MAGES ARE THE WORST CLASS

Quote Originally Posted by S0nnyboy View Post

Is there a need to?
    Well first they both do 50% more...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    Physical crit was changed to 50% more damage as well back in beta if I remember correctly to be in line with magic crit. So it should be the same now. Is it not?

ty for correcting me, change passed me unnoticed since i stopped playing physical till beta

Prophet of Telara

These things are usually balanced in relation to the base damage of abilities and their relationship to Mob/Player HP, mitigation and healing. In general, flattening damage makes the game easier to balance and control... but also tends to make the game less interesting/exciting and tends to reduce the effects of player choices and skill.

Broadly, there are two balancing areas with relation to damage: Extended Damage over Time and Burst Damage.
    Damage over Time tends to be balanced in relation to the ability to mitigate damage + heal/regen HP.

Burst Damage tends to be balanced in relation to Max HP values + mitigation (to prevent killing in seconds). Healing/Regen tends not to be included so much here, because there's little time to actually heal in response.
    Burst Damage is the hardest to balance in these games - particularly in relation to player expectations. You'll have seen the complaints about rogues killing people in seconds and lots of complaints like "It happened so fast that there was nothing I could do". There's a feeling that no matter the build choices or skill of the player... they can still be killed quickly. But also generally, there are issues to do with mud-flation of HP values.

In order to balance big bursts of damage - you either push up mitigation so high, that normal damage values become tiny... which tends to lead to dull play - and players tend to modify their builds almost entirely toward burst damage - which just exacerbates the issue.

Or you push up HP values, so that the big bursts can be contained. Massive HP values tend to make play less interesting... but lower HP values tend to trivialise content Vs high burst values. It also becomes increasingly difficult over time to balance PvE and PvP play... because while Mob HP inflates and inflates to deal with multiple incoming bursts - doing the same with Player HP causes further serious balance issues. In some games, you see damage being handled differently in PvE and PvP but this then often leads to other weird results, like low HP build being more effective than high HP builds etc etc...

Damage over Time damage is easier to balance... the necessary mitigation values don't have to be pushed so hard, the addition of regen over time and healing both have time to counteract damage over time etc. You have more control over the effects of this type of damage.

End result tends to be, that there is fairly strong pressure on designers to reduce damage bursts. They really want everything to push back toward a more Damage over Time oriented play, because that's easier to balance. So what you tend to see is Critical Hit values dropping, but crit chance increasing - or burst damage being tied to a series of normal damage hits (as with rogue/warrior combos) in order to force a spreading out of the available burst damage.

At the same time though... one of the things that many players like to see is occasional big numbers. They like to see exceptional hits... and indeed to be forced to react to exceptional hits too. It's just one of those human things. If, as a designer, you allow everything to drift back to being consistent damage over time, then players often begin to describe this as being boring and too predictable.

Game systems like these are built out of very complex inter-dependencies. These complex systems always have tendencies like this built into their design... there's always tension between conflicting elements. You change something at one point in a small way... and find that it gets magnified affecting some other element far, far more than you'd expected.

It's a veritable minefield for designers.

X

Soulwalker

ty for taking your time and writing an interesting post

+ Reply to Thread