+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling a mage -- what am I doing wrong?

Soulwalker

Default Leveling a mage -- what am I doing wrong?

So after recently quitting WoW due to lack of interest with the new expansion, I picked this game up the other day to check it out.

Rolled mage, after some research I initially went necro/lock/chloro. Got chloro up to bloom/improved spores and the rest into warlock, using necro for the pet. This worked...alright for the first 20 levels or so. Some multi dot abilities, most of my healing was from spores and blooming on cooldown.

Just today I switched to 21 necro/up to 20 lock/0 archon. I'm only 28 now so I can't quite get mortality yet which is what I was going to cap warlock at, and put the rest into necromancer.

My current spec: http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...2003530:archon.

The problem I'm having is that leveling sucks. Even a single mob just does obscene damage to me, I have 1700 HP and I'm taking consistent 150-270 melee attacks from mobs while not killing all that quickly. I use the skeletal rogue and can generally kill 1-2 mobs without too much issue, but anything past 2 mobs is almost a guaranteed death now that I've started questing in Scarlet Gorge. Soul purge heals a decent amount but melee mobs are actually outdpsing the healing that's done to me.

I've tried using the Skeletal knight, it works decently but it can't really keep aggro on more than 1 mob without some seriously annoying pet micro.

Is there something I can tweak in my spec to improve survivability? Maybe an entirely different spec that's more designed towards solo PvE questing/farming? Fear tends to aggro MORE stuff than it actually gets off me, and anything spawning near me or adds coming in generally result in a corpse run.

Ascendant

You should not have ANY trouble in PVE as a necromancer...
    You can take 3-4 mobs of your level easy with a pet and soulpurge.

send pet, dot dot dot dot grave rot soul purge to heal you and your pet, rince & repeat until they're all dead.

Also worth mentionning that, if anything else fails, put 1 point in feing death and every 30 seconds you reset any fight you started.

Pull 4 mobs, kill 1, feign death.
    Pull the other 3, kill 1-2, feign death.

Necromancer PVE is super easy.
    Last edited by somerandomnamee; 03-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Forumpost View Post
    So after recently quitting WoW due to lack of interest with the new expansion, I picked this game up the other day to check it out.

Rolled mage, after some research I initially went necro/lock/chloro. Got chloro up to bloom/improved spores and the rest into warlock, using necro for the pet. This worked...alright for the first 20 levels or so. Some multi dot abilities, most of my healing was from spores and blooming on cooldown.

Just today I switched to 21 necro/up to 20 lock/0 archon. I'm only 28 now so I can't quite get mortality yet which is what I was going to cap warlock at, and put the rest into necromancer.

My current spec: http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...2003530:archon.

The problem I'm having is that leveling sucks. Even a single mob just does obscene damage to me, I have 1700 HP and I'm taking consistent 150-270 melee attacks from mobs while not killing all that quickly. I use the skeletal rogue and can generally kill 1-2 mobs without too much issue, but anything past 2 mobs is almost a guaranteed death now that I've started questing in Scarlet Gorge. Soul purge heals a decent amount but melee mobs are actually outdpsing the healing that's done to me.

I've tried using the Skeletal knight, it works decently but it can't really keep aggro on more than 1 mob without some seriously annoying pet micro.

Is there something I can tweak in my spec to improve survivability? Maybe an entirely different spec that's more designed towards solo PvE questing/farming? Fear tends to aggro MORE stuff than it actually gets off me, and anything spawning near me or adds coming in generally result in a corpse run.
    1. That Website sucks
    2. Use this Spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvw_.xL.xxckVdk0c
    3. Work toward this spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...VVxo.xxckVtk0s

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeth View Post
    Ignore this guy, though he has the right idea, he is doing it too soon.

Start off with this build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvwR.xe0hkko.xxck0z

Always use the tank pet, his job isn't to do damage, its to keep 1 mob off of you because he can taunt and tank it. This gives you time to make that mob the hp battery by using essence link and radiant spores.

After that is setup, pull another 1-2 mobs with necrosis or dark touch, then put grave rot on the ground and soul purge away, when you need some more charge, do draining bolt and dark fury for more soul purge. Reapply dots as neccessary then reclaim power when the fight is over, you should be near full health and full mana every fight and can chain pull.

Once you get into the mid-deep 30s, go for this build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...hkkq0z.xxckmzo

Its important to also use the tank pet, even though the rogue pet does more damage, he will help tank one mob while you now can pull 3 or so more with mortality and shadow life. As you get more points you will get imp. warlock armor and neddras essence, by that point you should be able to tank 5-6 mobs with neddras+shadow life + mob hp battery (radiant spores + essence link). You can radiate death on them all and grave rot followed by mortality.

These specs really are unbeatable as far as pve leveling, although, you must be able to have the mental fortitude to be able to constantly keep all this stuff up.

My usual order for 4-5 pulls are as follows:
    The hp battery mob radiant spores, life leech, send pet in, essence link.

Tab dot pull 4 more mobs with necrosis until I get to the last mob, then do dark touch, neddras grasp and radiate death.

At this point they are all on you, grave rot then mortality. Pick the weak ones and draining bolt/dark fury to regain some charge, then soul purge to kill the weak ones and refresh your hp. There should only be 2 or so left which you can redot them up and soul purge to finish them.

If the mobs in the area are too strong you can use neddras essence or shadow life. If they are on cooldown, only pull 3 mobs at a time instead or 4-5.

Start this by just pulling 2 at a time until you get the hang of it.

I use the DPS Skele, Symiote helps a bit.

I have Dom as my 3rd and use Transmogrify to take out one of the mobs on the pull.

+ Reply to Thread