+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Made a mage.. So many buttons.. freakin' out.

Soulwalker

Default Made a mage.. So many buttons.. freakin' out.

I'm still new to the game, so bear with me here.

I made a mage, and so far I'm on my third soul, but there's so many frigging abilities I can use! Not to mention the massive talent trees that there are for each soul. Right now I'm using Warlock, Archon, and Necromancer, since the combo seemed good.

What should I put the majority of my points in to? Which spells should I use? There's so many for each spec that it feels like I should be using all of them, but it does'nt quite feel right. Suggestions?

Rift Master

Ahhh ya, if you take multiple souls you do get a lot of skills.

Here's how you can start organizing.
    Anything you might use out of combat, put those in one clump.
    That means you won't look at them unless that moment arises.

Any of your instant skills like dots - put those all in a line, those are your on the move panic but still need dmg outlets.

All the skills that could save you - put those together, things that might heal or reduce dmg or cc an enemy etc.

Then you have your line of casting/spamming skills, these are the enemy debuffs, any in combat buffs you have. Then you can go thru them only when you feel comfortable to increase your dmg because you have the fight under control. These are the skills you would test as you go, does it feel right using here or there. These are the ones you can end up adjusting their placement and get yourself a rotation that you like.

This way you will only have a clump of skills at once to view until you memorize what you like and can move them around later.

Don't forget to put water on the bar, that makes it easy to drink in a pinch.
    Others will have more advice I'd imagine but that will get you started.
    I'm not using the soul calculator to suggest a build to you specifically.
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-20-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernt View Post
    Ahhh ya, if you take multiple souls you do get a lot of skills.

Here's how you can start organizing.
    Anything you might use out of combat, put those in one clump.
    That means you won't look at them unless that moment arises.

Any of your instant skills like dots - put those all in a line, those are your on the move panic but still need dmg outlets.

All the skills that could save you - put those together, things that might heal or reduce dmg or cc an enemy etc.

Then you have your line of casting/spamming skills, these are the enemy debuffs, any in combat buffs you have. Then you can go thru them only when you feel comfortable to increase your dmg because you have the fight under control. These are the skills you would test as you go, does it feel right using here or there. These are the ones you can end up adjusting their placement and get yourself a rotation that you like.

Don't forget to put water on the bar, that makes it easy to drink in a pinch.
    Others will have more advice I'd imagine but that will get you started.
    I'm not using the soul calculator to suggest a build to you specifically.

This is excellent advice. Kudos to you Fernt.

Plane Touched

if you end up playing something like a stormcaller/dominator, even 4 horizontal bars aint gonna be enough.

macros are your friend at this point - say you have 2 different roots, with different CD's. make 1 macro for them. Say you have some reactives, some insta casts and some cast time damage spells. Make a macro for them, put the reactives on top, then the insta casts with cd, and at the bottom put your generic cast time dd spell - ala void bolt. say you have 2 spells with pushback - put them into 1 macro, etc etc.

this way you can save a lot of space on your hotbars.

I'd post a screenshot of my UI that I've optimized as best I can, but I recently reformatted my HDD, so here's a brief summary:

Don't fill up your first action bar. Anything past the number 6 on the number line will gradually degrade your reaction time. 1-3 are your most used abilities. You want all your necessary spells to be near your WASD keys for ease of use. Rebind these to abilities on your second bottom action bar:

1. Q and E
    These are by default bound to the strafe buttons. When you PvP, you don't use the strafe buttons. You don't turn with the arrow keys. It takes too long. You hold the right mouse button and move the mouse to adjust your view; pivoting yourself along your view with the WASD keys. You can do both of these while having a finger or two free for button pressing. It might take some practice, but it's doable, and for the best.

I typically bind Q to some type of low-CD CC/Support spell - Transmogrify, Nature's Cleansing come to mind.

E I reserve for a DoT or debuff I have to maintain. For example, in my Necro/Lock build:

1. Void Bolt
    2. Necrosis
    3. Plague Bolt
    Q. Consumption
    E. Dark Touch

2. Z/X/C/V
    It's harder for me to reach down than it is to reach up, so I reserve these buttons for things I won't need to use as often or quickly. Lightning Strike nuke comes to mind here, as does Raging Storm, or anything with a 10s+ CD.

3. F
    Typically used as my chosen AoE spot - Pyromancer Fire Storm comes to mind. It can also be used for easy access to an escape ability ('Flicker' is put there too when I PvP since it's easy to remember)

4. R
    R. Root. I always put a root skill here; easy to remember and reach.

With that done, you have other spots on your third bottom bar to bind.

* Shift 1-5
    I put skills here that are usually part of a specialized rotation (say, Stormcaller AoE chains). Likewise, I put abilities here that are crucial enough to be in the normal 1-5 bindings, but won't always be actively used. The logic behind this is that it's faster for me to shift + reach up than it is for me to ctrl/alt + reach up or reach down; the cooldowns are typically shorter or more important than the ones I have bound to ZXCV. Among other things I put up here: Fear/Choke/Dark Fury/Wither on my Warlock, my casted Dominator stuns, Wild Abandon on my Chloromancer.

* Shift + Space
    At the far right end of the third bar, I stick my mount slot here. Very easy top get up and go; remember that you can start mounting even in the middle of GCD.

All of these tend to provide more than enough space for all of my spells, honestly. Everything else I cluster according to importance/class: buffs are all next to one another, my pet spells are all next to eachother + Fast Summon/Exhume/Synergize.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Furienify; 03-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Or buy a razor naga, I dont know how id manage my mage without one.

Mages are awesome

Pretty much what Furienify said. Except I use Z, X, C, V with my left thumb, and because I have my hand resting on my 1-3 keys, I have A and D hotkeyed to spells as well, though if you play the standard way, it might not be applicable.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedClaim View Post
    I'm still new to the game, so bear with me here.

I made a mage, and so far I'm on my third soul, but there's so many frigging abilities I can use! Not to mention the massive talent trees that there are for each soul. Right now I'm using Warlock, Archon, and Necromancer, since the combo seemed good.

What should I put the majority of my points in to? Which spells should I use? There's so many for each spec that it feels like I should be using all of them, but it does'nt quite feel right. Suggestions?
    Many of your abilities will be redundant or non-combat.

Prune your spell selection to remove redundancies.
    Set up a vertical hotkey bar to one side of your screen. Move your out-of-combat abilities to it.
    Focus your points on one soul, concentrate on making one set of abilities really efficient instead of spreading yourself too thin.

I you post what you are looking for, I will try to help.
    Just ingnore all the min-max people screaming you must be necro/lock to level.
    The real key is simply focusing on one play style and being good at it.
    The greatest mistake wizards make is to think they can change the world
    The greatest mistake the gods make is to allow a few of them to get away with it.

Champion

I acutally bound the -= to my mouse, with shift -= ctrl -= ect.
    For the simple fact, when your running around, moving your left hand off of WSDA to hit anything past 8 thru = , means death. If you move your hand off yoru mouse.. Death. Clicking.. optional if you mainly use left hand for clicking. (whatever works right.)

So escentially, I have all my most used abilities on the left hand side of my keyboard, keys 1-7 or so that are within easy reach. LEss used abilities from 8 thru = keys.
    I then organize it, so the first row arethe ones I always use. 2nd row are the ones I use, but not very often. (like my charge-consuming abilities) Above that, which I haven't actualy bound yet, would be yet more abilities.
    On the far right, I put my clicky abilities, like my mount, things you don't typically use in combat, let alone very often. (like say, drinks, food, those abilities you use in rifts that consume planar charges.)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Anyx View Post
    Or buy a razor naga, I dont know how id manage my mage without one.
    I 2nd that one! I got mine last week and I can already notice a huge difference in my reaction times. I like to roll Lock/Necro and I also Chloro a lot in instances.

There has been great info on here but also don't forget that you can also use Alt, Ctrl, and even Shift on your most common buttons to expand their capabilities.

Don't fret too much about it, as you level you will more or less learn which spells you would like to use in any situation and why. Soon you will find yourself thinking about where you want that button placed and in no time you'll be hammering out hot keys like all the other mages.

+ Reply to Thread