+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Earth Elemental

Default Earth Elemental

So I started a mage recently. I mostly want to go stormcaller and cholro right now. Though my 3rd is elementalist for the pet, thinking it would be easier on me while I level up since I solo majority of the time.

I'm only level 8 now, but if the Earth Elemental is suppose to be a tank, why does he go down like hes made of paper? I'm wondering if this will change as I level up or what?

After some searching I hear the greater ones are better but it's such a pain with the one I have now and I'm not planning to go deep into the elementalist tree. I pretty much find him to be useless and wonder if I shouldn't just try to solo without the pet.

So, do they get a bit better later without going too deep into the tree? I figure by level 30 I might be able to really do without the pet and solo without one. But being level 8, having a durable pet would help and this little guy doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Any advice?
    サポート日本を助けてください。寄付する。(Please help support Japan. Donate.)

Soulwalker

Are you training? Make sure you go train and level up your pets. I am a level 44 elementalist and I use my pet to tank often. You will like it if going solo is your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier71 View Post
    Are you training? Make sure you go train and level up your pets. I am a level 44 elementalist and I use my pet to tank often. You will like it if going solo is your thing.
    Yeah I'm training. He's still going down pretty fast at the moment =/ It's really been since I started that hes been weak. I thought it might get better
    Last edited by Izuni; 03-20-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Prophet of Telara

0 point Ele pet, without any healing support, will usually hold up pretty well against a single mob when doing solo quests. It'll get hurt a lot by two mobs though. Three will kill it bad.

It's all damage that would be coming your way otherwise though... so for no investment, that's a pretty good deal on the whole. You still need to pick your fights. You still need to keep an eye out for adds etc.

Since you've gone for some Chloro though, make sure you have Radiant spores up on the mob and make sure you're casting Withering Vines at low level. They'll help a lot with the pet's survivability.

The Ele pets do also get better as you train points in the Ele tree too of course.. but it doesn't sound like that's what you're planning.

If you go deeper into the Chloro tree though - then the Chloro + Ele pet does become a very good tank combo. I have a friend who started off as Pyro/ele/dom and had similar feedback. Around level 15 or so, I set him up with a Chloro/Lock/Ele solo build and it was like night and day for him, in terms of soloing. He actually really loves it.

But yeah... the 0 point pets aren't built to take as much in the way of a beating as many people seem to expect.

X

hmmm, that's what I thought.

He can do ok on 1 mob yeah but 2 he goes down so fast and it seems hard not to get adds sometimes. Honestly I'd rather be able to solo without the pet but I wouldn't think that was too possible at such a low level. I think my main goal is to have aoe and some heals for survivability.

I guess I should hurry and get myself to 13 and dabble in some of the other roles too. or jsut suck it up and put points into ele for the time being.

Soulwalker

as a low level mage youl get demolished vs multiple mobs unless youre a warlock/necro...

for leveling up id go necro warlock, if youre smart you can pull 3-4 mobs and kill them easily without blowing any cooldowns.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanadin View Post
    as a low level mage youl get demolished vs multiple mobs unless youre a warlock/necro...

for leveling up id go necro warlock, if youre smart you can pull 3-4 mobs and kill them easily without blowing any cooldowns.
    Not true.

There are other mage builds that can AoE 5+ mobs without dying.
    Necro / lock is just the easiest.

The key would be 30% proc on Radiant spores + a strong set of AoE abilities. Pyro, Stormcaller, and Elementalist can all manage it.

My personal preference is Chloro / Elem. Open with radiant spores. Ice shield, Burning Ground. Spam Chloro heals in between refreshing radiant spores and Burning ground.
    At higher level you can add Fiery Assault into the mix.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 03-20-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    The greatest mistake wizards make is to think they can change the world
    The greatest mistake the gods make is to allow a few of them to get away with it.

Prophet of Telara

At those very low levels being discussed here - up to level 13 - any multiples can get a bit sketchy. But if you're clever you can actually do a lot. So you can actually mix up the damage distribution across yourself and your pet on purpose.

Switch off auto-use on your Ele pet's Pulverise (Forced Retarget ability) and either pull it to your bar or use it on Ctrl-5. Start off with your pet tanking and if you get an add, do damage to the add yourself to consciously pull aggro to yourself. If you have Chloro then use Withering Vines on the add to maintain some healing, but you'll probably still focus your damage on the first mob - though you may DoT the adds too, especially if you have time to RS them.

So now your pet is taking damage from the first mob - while you're taking damage from the second mob... you're getting some healing from Withering Vines and possibly RS heals from DoTs running on all mobs involved. Before you've lost too much HP (which is something you'll have to get a feel for and depends on how daring you are, how far away the pet is and how well you can judge incoming damage) tell the pet to attack the mob that's hitting you (Ctrl-1) - and then use the forced retarget (Ctrl-5) to pull aggro over to him.

You can do modified versions of this, bouncing aggro around from your pet to yourself - and with WV/RS/DoTs running - on more than two mobs and it's a useful skill to have if you want to push soloing. You don't always have to use a pulverise if it's not up - sometimes switching the pet to the mob in question will be enough to pull aggro with his threat generating attacks, more slowly than Pulverise obviously so you need to take that into account in your timing.

For add situations, you'll still survive it - and at low levels drink will regain your HP very fast (and when you drink it affects your pets too) so you'll be up and running quick enough. It's getting your head around actually inviting the damage onto yourself. Between aggro bouncing, WV heals, RS + DoTs healing there's a lot you can do to manage multi-mob situations... and it's great fun too by the way.

X

Thanks for all the replies ^^

I leveled up a bit and I think its getting a bit better already. and yeah ive been using withering vines and radiant spores regularly. I never forget to add them.

Can't wait till I get some aoe abilities. xD

I decided to go Chloromancer myself, and have Elemental 0 point pet for tanking, with deep Chloromancer it's a breeze to take on even higher level Invasions solo, pet tanks pretty well with the Synthesis healing coming in, and since Chloromancer is kind of sub-pair damage wise, it even holds agro

I currently do 32 Chloromanser, 6 Warlock (for Health->Mana), and the rest will all go into Elemental, so I will end up with Greater Water at level 50...

I love the spec myself, works really well for solo question/rifting and surprisingly well for PvP as well.

I love my little earthie, he's been a good friend all the way and he continue to surprise me every day with his ability to keep me safe from harm

For intresting parties, THIS is the spec I go after., I started with 6 points Warlock, then started working on elemental spec as side track until Chloromancer hit 32 points then it's all Elementalist from there
    ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Intel Core i7 980x, 12Gb Corsair Dominator GT, Radeon 5870 Vapor-X, 2x Intel X25-m SSD in Raid-0

+ Reply to Thread