+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Stormcaller @ 50 - Single Target Lacking?

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default Stormcaller @ 50 - Single Target Lacking?

    So having spent countless hours in many T2 instances and beating on the target dummies while running parsers, i've pretty much tried almost all possible mage builds.

    While i was previously using either Ele/Pyro (34/32) or Necrolock for AoE-DPS for trash clearing, i was reading a lot about Stormcallers being our #1 AoE DPS spec.

    I have so far tried both SC / Ele (32/34) and SC / Lock (32/34) -

    For AoE, it seems both are about equal TBH - While Ele does slightly less overall AoE dps, the little airbugger throws out a good 80-90 extra DPS to make up for it. I also get the 50% elemental damage CD every 3 minutes. Lock seems nice for the Oh-**** cooldowns and extra damage, but in the end, total AoE DPS seems to be about the same.

    Compares to Ele/Pyro, my overall AoE DPS is definitely higher - upwards of 1800+ on 4 targets rather than ~1200.

    I'm not sure if im doing it right, but i basically Arctic Blast -> Forked Lightning -> Forked Lightning -> Forked Lightning -> Lightning Field x3. For pulls of 6-8+ mobs i drop a Hailstorm / Lightning Storm then Lightning Field x3.

    Am i doing it right?

    While my AoE DPS looks fine, my single-target DPS seems miserable. Is this normal? I heard SC's can put out some decent (In MAGE standards lolz) single-target DPS, but the best i can seem to do is 400-450DPS. This is horrendous, when i was pulling 600-650 as Ele/Pyro, Necrolock, or even Archon.

    Maybe my rotation is wrong, but for single target its basically been:
    1. Arctic Blast (or Icicle if on CD) to get up Hypothermia
    2. Electrocute (or Thunderbolt x3 if on CD) to get up Electrified
    3. Ice Shear x1 for the debuff
    4. Spam Thunder Bolt continuously, until Hypothermia or Ice Shear requires reapplication.

    I tried Cloudburst instead of TBolt, but it seems to do less damage, as well as crit less.

    Am i doing it right, or is my rotation incorrect?

    Even when i was SC / Ele, throwing in the Lightning Bolts that crit for 2200+ on cooldown, my DPS remained around 400.

    PS: My gear is incredible, im in full epics, 9/13 epics are T2 quality - and as mentioned, i pull 700+ DPS as Necrolock, Pyro/Ele and Archon... so gear shouldn't be my limiting factor on DPS.

    Thanks for the long read

  2. #2
    Sword of Telara Furienify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Faeblight
    Posts
    805

    Default

    SC is for trash clears. And there is a lot of trash.

    Raging Storm -> Ice Shear -> Icicle -> Lightning Strike -> Thunderbolt -> repeat etc

    You can mix in the various Elementalist things (Exposure, Ignite, Missiles/Carapace detonation) at your leisure. But single target you will always be beaten by a Necro/Lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Do single target with Lightning Fied its mana consuming but much better dps.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KooperT View Post
    So having spent countless hours in many T2 instances and beating on the target dummies while running parsers, i've pretty much tried almost all possible mage builds.

    While i was previously using either Ele/Pyro (34/32) or Necrolock for AoE-DPS for trash clearing, i was reading a lot about Stormcallers being our #1 AoE DPS spec.

    I have so far tried both SC / Ele (32/34) and SC / Lock (32/34) -

    For AoE, it seems both are about equal TBH - While Ele does slightly less overall AoE dps, the little airbugger throws out a good 80-90 extra DPS to make up for it. I also get the 50% elemental damage CD every 3 minutes. Lock seems nice for the Oh-**** cooldowns and extra damage, but in the end, total AoE DPS seems to be about the same.

    Compares to Ele/Pyro, my overall AoE DPS is definitely higher - upwards of 1800+ on 4 targets rather than ~1200.

    I'm not sure if im doing it right, but i basically Arctic Blast -> Forked Lightning -> Forked Lightning -> Forked Lightning -> Lightning Field x3. For pulls of 6-8+ mobs i drop a Hailstorm / Lightning Storm then Lightning Field x3.

    Am i doing it right?

    While my AoE DPS looks fine, my single-target DPS seems miserable. Is this normal? I heard SC's can put out some decent (In MAGE standards lolz) single-target DPS, but the best i can seem to do is 400-450DPS. This is horrendous, when i was pulling 600-650 as Ele/Pyro, Necrolock, or even Archon.

    Maybe my rotation is wrong, but for single target its basically been:
    1. Arctic Blast (or Icicle if on CD) to get up Hypothermia
    2. Electrocute (or Thunderbolt x3 if on CD) to get up Electrified
    3. Ice Shear x1 for the debuff
    4. Spam Thunder Bolt continuously, until Hypothermia or Ice Shear requires reapplication.

    I tried Cloudburst instead of TBolt, but it seems to do less damage, as well as crit less.

    Am i doing it right, or is my rotation incorrect?

    Even when i was SC / Ele, throwing in the Lightning Bolts that crit for 2200+ on cooldown, my DPS remained around 400.

    PS: My gear is incredible, im in full epics, 9/13 epics are T2 quality - and as mentioned, i pull 700+ DPS as Necrolock, Pyro/Ele and Archon... so gear shouldn't be my limiting factor on DPS.

    Thanks for the long read
    Get 10 point in Archon for Exhilarate, spam lightning field instead of Thunder Bolt for single target. Use Raging Storm on Cooldown and occasional thunder bolt to refresh electrocute.

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara Furienify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Faeblight
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilding View Post
    Do single target with Lightning Fied its mana consuming but much better dps.
    Hm, are you totally certain on that?

    I've gotten the same impression, but I look at the tooltips and the base damages are smaller. I'm guessing the SP contribution is different between them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

  6. #6
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    687

    Default

    your aoe sounds good. Dont forget you can pop your charge/timers to do even more aoe. if you want.

    single target.

    you said electrocute. did you mean raging storm? and you didn't mention lit strike with sc/elem.

    The single target dps rotation is very complex. so many cooldowns, and situational moves.
    Tbolt is mana effecient, but does less damage then forked or lit field, even single target.


    Never use icicle. Use hailstorm or artic blast for hypo. If the target doesnt move, hailstorm will put hypo up for a 16s. And doe more damage over time then arcticblast would have anyway.

    Stactic discharge, flux and intensify elements. Discharge will be a LARGE part of your dps when timed properly. Make sure all of your debuffs are up. Pop flux and intensify elements. (Ideally, ask to be in a party with many pets.)
    In general manage your cd's. you have 15s of intensity elements. be sure ragingstorm, lit strike, static discharge, and hailstorm are ready to go.
    Try to use flux for those moves as well. dont waste flux on tbolt, ice shear, or forked lit. avoid using it for lit field too, unless you are full up on charge.

    So basic. (Assuming someone else is applying exposures 7% debuff)
    Start.
    hailstorm. forkedx3. ice shear. int elements. flux. static discharge. raging storm, (storm first, as hypo will be wearing off soon),lit strike(doesnt get effected by hypo, so if it drops, doesnt matter). artic blast, ice sheer, lforked, lit field, forked, lit field.

    Alternate forked, ,and lit field when not using your cooldowns or applying hypo/shear.
    This will keep electrifed at 20/30%, instead of dropping down to 10% or 0 if you x3.
    30/20/30/20/30/20/30 is more then 30/20/10/0/10/20/30.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts