+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternate Leveling Build

Default Alternate Leveling Build

I've been leveling as Necro/Lock (32 at the moment) and have found it to be a good, solid spec.
    However I'm getting thoroughly bored out of my mind with it. Dot, dot, soul purge. Dot, dot, soul purge. For kicks, go solo an invasion.

I've been trying to think of something as an alternative leveling build to help keep things fresh and keep hitting a brick wall. So I thought I'd ask the community and hear what you have to say. My desires for a leveling build are:

1) Reasonably mana efficient. I don't want infinite mana, I just don't want to have to fill up my backpack with drink.
    2) Decent survivability. By "decent" I mean two mobs instead of one is not an automatic death.
    3) Reasonable kill speed. I don't expect to one shot anything of course, but I would also like to not fall asleep while killing the mobs.

Any suggestions? Bear in mind I'm only 32, so I don't have a huge number of points to play with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soulwalker

Adding Chloro to any build really ramps up the survivability.

A popular build is Chloro/Lock

You could also try a Stormcaller/Ele or Pyro/Ele build.

I personally only have experience with Chloro, Necro, and Lock combinations.

I've been playing around with a soul calculator and am thinking about giving Warlock/Chloro/Archon a try. Just playing around with the soul calculator it looks like it would work pretty well. I think I just need to gain more levels so I can get a few more points to play with.
    Last edited by Starless Knight; 03-20-2011 at 08:28 AM.

So I just spent a little time testing it out, running around killing mobs with my Warlock/Chloro build. All I have to say is.......daaaaayum. Mana efficiency? In spades. Decent kill speed? You betcha, with some sweet AoE thrown in to boot. Survivability? Heh, normal mobs have difficulty making my life bar move at all.

For those mages tired of feeling dependent on a pet, I highly recommend this soul pairing. It not only works, it works damn well.

Soulwalker

Sounds great, Starless. Mind linking a build? What level are you at?

My Chloro/Lock build is my main-healing spec for instances, I think I'd change some things around as a solo leveling build though.

Quote Originally Posted by transcend11 View Post
    Sounds great, Starless. Mind linking a build? What level are you at?

My Chloro/Lock build is my main-healing spec for instances, I think I'd change some things around as a solo leveling build though.
    Here's the build I'm using at the moment. I'm level 32, and haven't really planned it beyond that.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvRz.exohoVM.VdIh
    It's going quite well. I just ran around doing a few quests and I'm quite pleased with it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Starless Knight View Post
    Here's the build I'm using at the moment. I'm level 32, and haven't really planned it beyond that.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvRz.exohoVM.VdIh
    It's going quite well. I just ran around doing a few quests and I'm quite pleased with it.
    Sounds interesting! What is your typical rotation like?

Quote Originally Posted by DemigodHakai View Post
    Sounds interesting! What is your typical rotation like?
    Apply Radiant Spores, then pull the mob to me with Vile Spores. Then I apply Neddra's Grasp, Dark Touch, and Ruin as the mob is running to me. Every so often I use Searing Vitality to keep the endurance buff going. If I get multiple mobs I usually hit Devouring Shadows (I discovered that Entropic Veil + Devouring Shadows is very, very nasty). A single mob and I spam Void Bolt while dots tick until its dead (this usually doesn't take very long). I've only had about an hour of playtime with the spec so I'm still feeling it out. I haven't done any number-crunching to compare to my Necro/Lock spec, but the kill speed "feels" about the same. With Sacrific Life: Mana and the ability to heal myself, there is no downtime at all.

When I get another level or two I'll pick up Radiate Death, which will make AoE much easier. And of course Warlock Armor, for the constant damage boost.
    Last edited by Starless Knight; 03-20-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Shadowlander

So I am having a BLAST with this build. Super fun! I'm blowing through enemies and not really having any down time. Good times!

Here is my build for anyone who is interested.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zvRz.exohoVVL.VdIh

Rift Disciple

A build I came up with tonight isn't so much of a leveling build but a grinding/daily quest build. I would imagine it can be adapted for leveling, though.

48 Warlock 8 Necro 10 Elementalist

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...RAkqqxk.x0c.Vx

This gives you multiple dots, spreadable dots, excellent aoe, moderate self healing, almost no downtime, fairly fast killing, high hp and incoming damage reduction. The ironic thing about this spec is that it uses 2 pet souls, but no pets are actually involved.

Some points in Warlock were just thrown in to make my dots hit harder via Neddra's Influence as I couldn't find a good place elsewhere. (Neddra's Torture and Dark Fury, for example)

+ Reply to Thread