+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pyro/Dominator/Archon build. Suggestions

Shadowlander

Default Pyro/Dominator/Archon build. Suggestions

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...gs0zVzqxco.VoL

So i made this pyroo/dominator build to have low CDs, high CC and good burst damage. But I still didn't play with it in-game. I am currently level 27, should I focus more on Pyro while leveling or Dominator?

My intention is to use this spec for PvP or CC and DPS in dungeons (even though I''l probably use more Necro/Warlock build there).
    Any feedback or examples of better Pyro/Dominator builds?

Shadowlander

Just an update. I found the this build to be horrible to level up.

Low survivability, poor mana eficiency and average kill speed compared with necro/lock.
    Anyone has any suggestions? Does this work well in PvP.
    I wanted to explore a decent build with Dominator.

Telaran

Level using Necro/Lock, or Lock/Chloro.

Pyro/Dom works at higher levels in PvP, but generally sucks until you get GoS.
    Full Dom + Whatever is great too for just screwing with their healers, throw points into Lock for survivability or Archmage for -crit % and -player dmg imo.

Shadowlander

And what about WFs while leveling?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaugamela View Post
    And what about WFs while leveling?
    Some variation of Warlock, Necro main and Chloro/Dom second soul.
    Otherwise known as Morganlefae

Quote Originally Posted by Gaugamela View Post
    Just an update. I found the this build to be horrible to level up.

Low survivability, poor mana eficiency and average kill speed compared with necro/lock.
    Anyone has any suggestions? Does this work well in PvP.
    I wanted to explore a decent build with Dominator.
    Unless you're really attached to the Archon soul, I would strongly suggest swapping it out for Warlock.

From the Warlock soul, I would take the following:
    • 5/5 Magical Affinity - The increase in charge is very noticeable with Cinder Burst.
    • 5/5 Opportunity - This build focuses on using Cinder Burst as much as possible. Decreasing the cast time on it as often as possible is paramount.
    • 1/1 Draining Bolt - It's nice to have a dmg/heal you can use while mobile.

Here are some modifications I'm suggesting for your Pyromancer selections:
    • Remove the points invested in Burning Bonds.
    • Remove the points invested in Burning Bright. The decrease in HP negatively impacts Durable Control and isn't worth the increase in damage.
    • 5/5 Improved Smoldering Power - this saves a lot of mana over time, and allows you to continue casting fire based spells when other mages would be forced to drink or recover their mana through other means.

Here are the modifications I'd make to your Dominator selections:
    • Remove the points invested in Iron Will. The mana regeneration is not needed with this build and there are better abilities to use your charge on.
    • 2/2 Microburst - this adds an amazing amount of flexibility to Storm Shackles and eliminates the need for Burning Bonds.
    • 2/2 Durable Control - It never hurts to be able to Mana Wrench an opponent while they're under the effect of transmogrify.
    • 1/1 Transference - Great for shutting down rogues and buying you enough time to follow up with a stun or Cinder Burst before they click Detonate.

Here's what the build looks like:http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...gs0zVzqxco.VoL

With these changes, you keep all of the root abilities you had access to in your build, but gain some massively useful utility through improved control, mana cost reduction, and increased charge production.

Your typical rotation should look something like this:

Against Melee Opponents:
    Transmogrify
    Cinder Burst (1.6 second cast time, ~4 mana cost)
    Fireball
    Fireball
    Death's Edict
    Storm Shackle
    Flame Bolt + Thunder Blast while backing away from your enemy
    Fireball as the opponent tries to advance on you (he'll be rooted and taking damage from your shackles)
    Rinse & Repeat as many times as needed
    Use your charge as needed to heal yourself with Reconstruct and keep Smoldering Power stacks up.

Against Spellcasters:
    Transmogrify
    Cinder Burst
    Haunting Pain
    Death's Edict
    Storm Shackle
    Arresting Presence

At this point, the enemy is in a "Darned if they do, darned if they don't" situation. They can't cast spells due to Arresting Presence, if they move they'll take extreme damage from Storm Shackle, yet if they stay still, they'll receive the full brunt of Haunting Pain. Against NPCs, they'll always charge you, resulting in the full damage of Storm Shackle being incurred. Against players, you get to watch their obviously frustrated behavior.

With Arresting Presence being maintained, continue blasting away at your opponent with Fireballs. If necessary, discontinue Arresting Presence and recast Transmogrify. This will grant you the ability to fire off a round of fast casting fireballs (or Cinder Burst if it's off cool down). Use the charge acquired from this volley to bring Arresting Presence back up. Because of the need for Arresting Presence, spellcasters are normally more taxing on your mana reserves. You may find yourself needing to use Sacrifice Life: Mana throughout combat to maintain the ability to cast transmogrify.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Nevergone; 03-21-2011 at 09:24 AM.

My bad, here's the correct link to the build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0zikqMco.xx00z

+ Reply to Thread