+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Mage Instant Spells should be castable backwards

Prophet of Telara

Default All Mage Instant Spells should be castable backwards

Hey All,

It strikes me that the simple change of making all Mage Instant spells castable backwards, would make a sizeable contribution to improving both PvP and solo play.

What do you think?

X

Rift Master

make running through you not cancel your cast is better.

make it so you have auto target if you start your cast facing your opponent is even better.

or improve mage kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdysattva View Post
    make running through you not cancel your cast is better.

make it so you have auto target if you start your cast facing your opponent is even better.

or improve mage kiting.
    I disagree, no need to make the class easier to play.

I have not had an issue with getting casts canceled (unless by interupts). Perhaps its time to stop keyboard turning?

Improved mage kiting for certain specs is needed, I agree.

<PREGAME ALLSTARS> Gatoraide - 3x Mage Regulos US PvP
    Nadril -3x Rogue | Guardian | www.zackcerny.net | MAGES ARE THE WORST CLASS

Rift Master

cyrant

i can interrupt your casts all day long unless i am not in melee with you

i will do it by running through you

stop keyboard turning? LOL. i now assume you are a scrub who plays vs baddies.

I PLAY A WARRIOR. I interrupt casts from GOOD mages all the time.

I also play a mage and i get my casts off in melee vs people who try to throw me off with movement.

But clearly you don't get the basics.

It has nothing to do with skill bro. Not on the mages part anyway.

There is nothing you can do to prevent me from canceling your cast if i am in melee and i run through you at the right time. There is nothing you can do.

i don't keyboard turn. my movement is very gud... this is why i can cancel your casts all day long.

so stop playing vs scrub warriors and try to find one that can actually move well.

some don't know how to cancel by running through you.

some don't know its even possible.

if a warrior knows how to do it then they can do it pretty easy. all you can do is to keep them out of melee range. that is not the issue though.

the issue is that you should not be able to cancel casts by running through a toon.

oh and in case you where wondering? yeah... i am more right than you are if by "right" you mean aligned with the design intent of the game.

go and look up the latest comment on mages. the devs say that at very high skill level and high level mages do okay, and still have issues. they then go on to say that at lower levels and at lower skill levels there are bigger problems for mages and that is something they want to correct for.

so yeah... they do want to make the class easier for people less skilled.

and yeah... it is ignorant and sloppy to assume that canceling casts isn't a problem vs good moving melee.

I may not have noticed it than because who is dumb enough to try and sit there and cast a long cast time spell with someone right next to you. I still don't like auto facing.

Rift Master

i am not a huge fan of auto facing myself.

but the lesser of several evils is that i don't think melee should be able to cancel the cast by running through a toon.

or if they can then that needs to be admitted and taken into account when you consider the benefits of the spec/calling whatever.

i also apologize to you for my somewhat flame comments... mostly a reflection and upset-ness with your somewhat flame comments to me.

if you don't cast any cast time spells in melee then yeah... i will not be able to interrupt you. and if your spec calling has enough instants to be viable with melee on you and enough escape tools to get range for your casts then that is also great.

but if you stay pyro then things change cause you get GOS and you actually do want to use even cast time spells in that... and good moving melee then sort of really want to be able to cancel your casts. so things change then.

but there are many mages that when i get on them... they don't have a bunch of options to get away from me. i mean they have some... and they use them... but then i get back on them and their instants are not enough... so they go for a cast.

do you have dom?

i wonder if you are using that instant when melee are on you.

of course with flicker and disarm and bonds it is probably enough for you with a good team... not to mention your stun.

I'm pyro for the most part. Between flicker, my root and my stun and a few of my instant casts I don't have much of an issue.

I've noticed my casts will only cancel if I'm not facing them by the time the cast finishes. Maybe I need to test it more. I generally find I have enough time to spin around in the rare chance that I'm doing this.

I don't know of any real valid way they can deal with it though honestly. I have a hard time really being able to give any suggestions when I've never had it happen to myself.

Prophet of Telara

Some Mage instants can be cast with a backwards facing. Not sure that all should be backward. Some instants require you stationary, this is kinda lame. Some charge abilities that are channelled suffer from push-back and interrupts, I think some of these need beefing up or have the charge requirement removed.

I have never had trouble with people running through me and interrupting my casts because I don't stand still and cast if someone gets that close.

I play Warlock over Pyromancer for the mobility. I make sure to be on the move when ever necessary and keep an eye out for approaching melee. As soon as I see someone making their way to our back lines I switch to them, snare and nuke them down.

The only situation I can see where it would better (in theory) to stay still and cast is if you're standing in a Ground of Stength. This is the exact reason I play Warlock. I will never play a class that encourages you to stay stil in PVPl.

Another situation where it might be difficult to avoid people doing this is in a duel. But as many people will tell you, things aren't balanced around dueling.
    Last edited by Xiomaro; 03-20-2011 at 03:16 AM.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Prophet of Telara

I have found standing inside of the players model can help with not having your casts cancelled, this has worked for channels. I start the cast inside of their player model. I also use right mouse down to point the cast (something I've adjusted to after playing Aion)
    Many times as a chloro/lock 30-39 bracket WF's I run to a Dominators back when they start their mana wrench this cancels their channel.
    Last edited by Detill5869; 03-20-2011 at 03:31 AM.

cyrant

i can interrupt your casts all day long unless i am not in melee with you

i will do it by running through you

stop keyboard turning? LOL. i now assume you are a scrub who plays vs baddies.

I PLAY A WARRIOR. I interrupt casts from GOOD mages all the time.

I also play a mage and i get my casts off in melee vs people who try to throw me off with movement.

But clearly you don't get the basics.

It has nothing to do with skill bro. Not on the mages part anyway.

There is nothing you can do to prevent me from canceling your cast if i am in melee and i run through you at the right time. There is nothing you can do.

i don't keyboard turn. my movement is very gud... this is why i can cancel your casts all day long.

so stop playing vs scrub warriors and try to find one that can actually move well.

some don't know how to cancel by running through you.

some don't know its even possible.

if a warrior knows how to do it then they can do it pretty easy. all you can do is to keep them out of melee range. that is not the issue though.

the issue is that you should not be able to cancel casts by running through a toon.

oh and in case you where wondering? yeah... i am more right than you are if by "right" you mean aligned with the design intent of the game.

go and look up the latest comment on mages. the devs say that at very high skill level and high level mages do okay, and still have issues. they then go on to say that at lower levels and at lower skill levels there are bigger problems for mages and that is something they want to correct for.

and yeah... it is ignorant and sloppy to assume that canceling casts isn't a problem vs good moving melee.
    The only response I can even give to this is...

lolumadbro?

Prophet of Telara

SNIP

You fail at reading and comprehension. Mages lower level haven't the tools to deal with as many situations. This isn't about player skill, go stroke your epeen elsewhere.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    Hey All,

It strikes me that the simple change of making all Mage Instant spells castable backwards, would make a sizeable contribution to improving both PvP and solo play.

What do you think?

X
    EQ2 allow mage targeting regardless of what the melee do. Not allowing mages to target 360 give melee an unlimited and free interupt. This is unfair. But mostly i want it because it stops melee from hopping around like deranged rabbits.
    Last edited by Potestas; 03-20-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrant View Post
    I disagree, no need to make the class easier to play.

I have not had an issue with getting casts canceled (unless by interupts). Perhaps its time to stop keyboard turning?

Improved mage kiting for certain specs is needed, I agree.
    Better yet.

How about collision detection. Remove the exploit from the game.
    The greatest mistake wizards make is to think they can change the world
    The greatest mistake the gods make is to allow a few of them to get away with it.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    You fail at reading and comprehension. Mages lower level haven't the tools to deal with as many situations. This isn't about player skill, go stroke your epeen elsewhere.
    maybe you are upset that i can cancel your casts? maybe you are upset cause no one, not even yourself, cares about you even to stroke your epeen ugly and shriveled as it is?

you fail at reading comprehension. i doubt you even know what i am talking about.

A SPOKESPERSON for the game has said that they believe that mages at lower levels (both character level and skill) struggle more than they want them to. this has nothing to do with me or my epeen. try to understand as much as you might have to struggle to do so. this is an official statement from the people running the game. it is me responding to comments that people don't want the mage made easier. fine, but the people running the game do.

secondly people said that casts can't be canceled by running through... and they can. it does require you to time things correctly and so does require real time responsive appropriate interaction and so does require skill. maybe a lot, maybe a little. if it is upsetting to you, LOL.

i said that if you only cast when your target is not in melee then it doesn't happen. it has nothing to do with tools. you have no tools to stop this if your target is in melee. try not to fail at reading comprehension. you might have tools to get out of melee. again, try not to fail at reading comprehension... the point is that you don't have tools so that your cast isn't canceled by someone running through you in melee (if they are your target). i believe this is crap. i don't think they should cancel your cast by running through you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast