+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stormcaller + PVP = Bad idea?

Soulwalker

Default Stormcaller + PVP = Bad idea?

I'm currently at level 38 , and I'm really scratching my head over what to do with the stormcaller soul.

With pyromancer its more or less straightforward, pick a target and try and knock it down (key word: try).

Stormcaller not so much. It requires a bit of setup, usually with some form of snare for hypothermia and to prevent people from moving out of aoe and stacks of electrified before you really start dealing what is supposed to be your optimal dps.

Except that your optimal dps is more or less negated by bard. Or a chloromancer. Or a cleric.

And its not preventing them from really doing anything else. It's not like they have to be desperately spamming heals or anything. (from what I can tell, and I have to admit warfronts are a big cluster****). And in larger groups, where you would think you would shine, there usually runs the possibility of more than one bard, and that just completely negates any impact you have on the fight.

To make things worse the calling as a whole lacks any form of CC and is very deficient on survival abilities - snares all take 2.5 secs to cast, you get 1 root on a 30 sec cooldown, 1 KB/snare on a 1 minute cooldown (that requires you to be in the targets face), and 1 KB, that also requires you to be in your targets face and lastly, you get the opportunity to get a talent that allows you to root a target... using skills that require channeling, effectively rooting you in place as well.

Not exactly optimal.

I understand I can combine it with the Dom soul, but tbh i can do that with Pyro, which has superior burst. Or go Necro/Warlock like half of the other Mages. and deal almost as much AoE DPS anyway without having to worry about people having 3 stacks of electrified. Or hell, go heavy dom which is starting to be pretty decent at this point.

Anyone with positive experiences with the Stormcaller? Or advice?
    Last edited by DaathM; 03-19-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Are you using Static Discharge, Hypthermia, then Lightning Storm (In that order)? I generally find that to be very good aoe.

P.S. Follow it up with some Charged Fielded Lightning Fields.
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Soulwalker

Usually something along the lines of that, I usually lead off with hailstorm into lightning storm, then spam lightning field.

Even with charged field, two bards usually means that all of my targets will have their health sitting at 100 regardless.
    Last edited by DaathM; 03-19-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Knockbacks are fun for the first few moments, then you meet a warrior selfbuffed with way of the mountain and understand how terrible stormcaller is for pvp.

Soulwalker

Tried SC with elemental today. Not as good as my dominator pyro spec, but fun in it's own ways. Only thing to realy complain about are wars and rogues going imune to KB's and snares, sometimes I lucked out and survived with sprint and pet sacrifice.
    Build up for the lightning strike and that skill hurts (not as much as other callings, but for a mage^^)

Bottom line I find it viable, and fun. Just needs some getting used to.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rickie82 View Post
    Tried SC with elemental today. Not as good as my dominator pyro spec, but fun in it's own ways. Only thing to realy complain about are wars and rogues going imune to KB's and snares, sometimes I lucked out and survived with sprint and pet sacrifice.
    Build up for the lightning strike and that skill hurts (not as much as other callings, but for a mage^^)

Bottom line I find it viable, and fun. Just needs some getting used to.
    I don't find SC TERRIBLE, just... sub optimal?

It' requires the mage to be sitting still and throwing around spells for a good bit before it hits its peak DPS.
    Which makes it quite fragile in more ways than one.

And even if you do hit that peak. It's not all that impressive. And requires you to set it up once more afterwards.

Plane Touched

i used to play Stormcaller only in pve and pvp builds because i loved it and didn't want to play a fcking pyro like everyone else, it is great but a few hots negate alll your aoe damage, but for the wf's when the enemy team has no healers, they die pretty fast in a hailstorm/lightning storm/ charged field spam

but yes it is subpar compared to the boring turret mode pyro
    http://tbh.org.uit.no/RFT/?c=forum_sections
    TBHO Recruiting all callings/roles, Whitefall - EUPVP
    Xathian - 55Templar - Perento/Spatalos Aion EU - Xathian - LoL
    MisterTea-Frank Jaegar - Darkfall
    Xathian Fury PvP 80 Assassin-Gank n Spank, AoC

Default quik test post

test post
    My lord who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, i walk again among the living to carry out thy will, to be the sword in thy hand, save me from the temptations of evil and guide my hand when it takes hold in judgment.

I play SC/Ele...because it's fun.
    That's the only reason.

I was able to kite a warrior completely. Idk what souls he had except paladin, cuz he popped back up to full health right as I was about to kill him. Seriously, he was 5 yards away from me the entire time, he ranged me down. Never once managed to melee me. To make things worse, he killed the other person that was helping me too (I think it was a rogue). Got it on video, decided to delete it cuz I'm pissed about the massive imbalance between warriors and every other class.

I was really excited when I saw that I crit for 800 in the Codex today.
    then my excitement plummeted when a warrior hits me for 1k..and it wasn't even a crit.
    Next attack was a crit, he hit me for 2k.

so needless to say, stormcallers are pretty bad in terms of damage output.

I refuse to play Necro/Warlock build, my dom build is garbage. Seen as my first poly is trinketed or broken by something else, my second poly is either broken as well or simply doesn't last as long due to DR, and my third poly is basically resisted. And after that, I can't do any damage anyways so I'm just polying people to annoy them. Cuz they're going to demolish me anyways. =/

I've tried SC pvp today. It was okay but not really good compared to pyro or necro. I think part of it is I felt sort of confused on the talents I wanted, I didn't know if I wanted to focus more on air damage or water damage. I ended up trying 2 builds (one heavy water one heavy air) to mess around.

I think that maybe it would be better at 50 with some support from another soul. It does feel kind of weak on its own though, even if you can kite someone well. Most people seem to have some sort of ranged attack (even melee) so it doesn't matter as much.

<PREGAME ALLSTARS> Gatoraide - 3x Mage Regulos US PvP
    Nadril -3x Rogue | Guardian | www.zackcerny.net | MAGES ARE THE WORST CLASS

Prophet of Telara

I think stormcaller could be ok for a back up soul to something else but sadly as it lacks any real synergies "passives also" with other souls (elementalist maybe) it's not a soul used for it's defensive capabilities.

Ride the Wind, requires charge and you can be stunned/snared during the duration. So that's a rubbish ability kind of. Static barrier looks nice and personally I would like to try a SC 21 points with another soul combo. Just for Static barrier and the slows/roots of SC.

More than likely this has been tried and deemed sub-par though.

+ Reply to Thread