+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage macros?

Plane Touched

Default Mage macros?

I confess I don't really have the energy to learn the language of macros, but would be interested to find out what various mage souls are using.

Is there an interesting resource somewhere on this?

I use an n52 keypad, and have around 24 keys set. It is still not enough for one of my specs. I would love to see ideas on how to increase efficiency - perhaps bringing the number of keys required down to 20?

Cheers

Prophet of Telara

I only have a small knowledge when it comes to macro's in Rift but the trick I've found is finding similar abilities that have cooldowns close to the same or an instant and a cooldown.

So example for my mage when I pvp with chloromancer and warlock.

#show Living Shell
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Living Shell
    cast Shadow Life

- With this macro after the first key click it will cast Living shell giving me an absorb shield for 600 damage and mana return. On the second key click Shadow Life will increase my max health x 50% and heal me for the amount. The first spell is on a 2 minute cooldown and the second spell is on a 3 min cool-down. The #show [spellname] is simply there to show the spell icon for Living Shell and it's cool-down on the UI/spellbar.

For instant spells or reactive's, it's a simple case of grouping an instant with a spell with a cool-down or spells that will only fire on reactive's. Currently there are no limits to the amount of spells that can be added to each line starting with cast. The main principle is that on each key press the first occurrence of cast is fired if that meets with the requirements of the spell. If the spell is on cool-down or doesn't meet the requirements of reactive's then the macro goes to the next occurrence of cast and down the list.

So back to mage's. My chloro/lock has vile spores tied to ruin.

#show Ruin
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Ruin
    cast Vile Spores

When I play my cleric as Inquisitor/Warden I use a single button for two knockbacks.

#show Crushing Wave
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Crushing Wave
    cast Excommunicate

the suppressmacrofailures just asks Rift not to show the error messages on the screen when firing abilities that are on cooldown or can't be used reactively.

Did my post help?

Well it helped me!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    I only have a small knowledge when it comes to macro's in Rift but the trick I've found is finding similar abilities that have cooldowns close to the same or an instant and a cooldown.

So example for my mage when I pvp with chloromancer and warlock.

#show Living Shell
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Living Shell
    cast Shadow Life

- With this macro after the first key click it will cast Living shell giving me an absorb shield for 600 damage and mana return. On the second key click Shadow Life will increase my max health x 50% and heal me for the amount. The first spell is on a 2 minute cooldown and the second spell is on a 3 min cool-down. The #show [spellname] is simply there to show the spell icon for Living Shell and it's cool-down on the UI/spellbar.
    At the end of that macro you should put "Oh crap I'm dead" in the chat box because once the two are on cooldown your "oh sh*t" button does nothing. lol

Plane Touched

Thank you for this - it was very helpful.

Any more advice gratefully received.

What does suppressmacrofailures do?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMT View Post
    Thank you for this - it was very helpful.

Any more advice gratefully received.

What does suppressmacrofailures do?

suppressmacorfailures, afaik, removes the red text on a macro that pops up on your screen saying your ability is on cooldown and etc (it happens when you have multiple abilities on different cooldowns).

Other info
    If you want a macro to show a specific ability for its icon, then you type #show (insert ability here).
    If you want to cast an ability, type cast (insert ability here).
    If you want to use an item, type use (insert item here).

The order in which you place abilities and items in a macro matters. For example,

Putting Inferno here gives it priority over everything else in the macro
    Putting Flame Bolt here will cast it if the above is not usable (on CD or above 20% health, in this case).
    Putting Neural Prod here will make it so if all of the above is on CD, it will cast Neural Prod (which doesn't have a cooldown, so you can spam this macro over and over even if the above are on CD.)
    Last edited by Hanlo; 03-20-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

+ Reply to Thread