+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 51 Archon...and what else?

Default 51 Archon...and what else?

Basically that. I have read about 10lock/5ele but Im not sure about it. I was thinking about 15 dom / chloro (for RS basically, in case we have no chloro)

15 dominator gives:
    - Reflective shield (one spell reflect in the tank every 20s)
    - Deny (cleanse all poison/disease/wound of a target every 45s)
    - Accelerate decay (if Im reading it correctly, amazing debuff, and my main motivation to put the leftovers in dom)
    - More reliable CC

And some other stuff not that great.

I think the above overperforms the extar charge + oportunity + 5% crit form the lock/ele route

Ideas?

This is only for pve, right now experts, but probably raids too

You could go Stormcaller, as each stack of Electrified you apply will tick Burning Purpose.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

51 Arch / 10 Lock / 5 Necro for best single target dps.

51 Arch / 11 Necro / 4 Lock for AoE damage
    Let him who desires peace prepare for war.
    - | - | - Ellessia, Dwarven Guardian - | - | -

Soulwalker

See i was wondering this myself i ran as Archon at lvl 18? through RoTf with my guildies and wanted to bring some support we had no bard so why not. The debuffs and buffs you bring are amazing but i was struggling on the dps end of things. What basic rotation do i use when im not reapply buffs on myself or debuffing mobs ie +5% phys dmg or 7% magic usually both we run decently balanced parties

Thanks for your answers, I was thinking on something more oriented tu pure support (buffs/debuffs), but will keep that options in mind
    Last edited by Erhnam; 03-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.

If your party doesn't have a Chloro, go up to 3/3 Phytogenesis. Burning Purpose turns it into an AoE nuke as well (be careful of breaking CC with that in mind). Fair support heals, an extra cleanse to help the party along on certain boss encounters.

If you're going to purely augment your own supportive role, go Pyromancer. The cast time reduction applies to Surging Flare and Volcanic Bomb, as will the damage benefits.
    Last edited by Furienify; 03-19-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Rift Disciple

Keep in mind that 5 points into Deadly Plague (Necro) means that Burning Purpose will hit twice per Plague Bolt, making it the hardest-hitting nuke of its type available to 51 Archons.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
    Keep in mind that 5 points into Deadly Plague (Necro) means that Burning Purpose will hit twice per Plague Bolt, making it the hardest-hitting nuke of its type available to 51 Archons.
    Yes, this is why at least 5 points into Necro (for improved plague bolt) is the best single target dps spec. I'm currently running a 51 Archon / 11 Necro / 4 Warlock build for experts but I'm going to swap it to a single target build of 51 Archon / 10 Lock (extra charge + potential instant casts) / 5 Necro because the AoE is powerful but I have to waste 5 points in the tree to get it.

As for a support buff / debuff build from a few posts higher, I'm not sure which would result in the best build, but I wouldn't give too much weight to having a dispel (since there will be plenty of other classes who can and should have that covered). Also, reflective shield doesn't work on AoE damage, so therefore it's utility is very low as well. Would your build have instant Transmogrify? If so I could see that being very convenient, but thus far in my expert runs we've CC'd maybe...twice? Might be good for raiding, but when it comes down to it I just don't think Dominator is a very good secondary build. I'll toy around with the soul-builder and see what I can come up with for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Erhnam View Post
    15 dominator gives:
    - Reflective shield (one spell reflect in the tank every 20s)

I think the above overperforms the extar charge + oportunity + 5% crit form the lock/ele route

This is only for pve, right now experts, but probably raids too
    I cut out some things in the post that I've already touched on. I keep forgetting that you can cast Reflective shield on another target, so that can be a pretty solid addition to your bag of tricks (depending on how many fights have single-target spell damage going out on the tank and how much damage it actually does).

Also, the extra utility will simply not out perform the extra charge / opportunity. I just can't fathom it comparing at all, to be honest. And also, I'd suggest not putting the last 5 points into the crit talent in the lock tree, put it into improved plague bolt for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercow View Post
    See i was wondering this myself i ran as Archon at lvl 18? through RoTf with my guildies and wanted to bring some support we had no bard so why not. The debuffs and buffs you bring are amazing but i was struggling on the dps end of things. What basic rotation do i use when im not reapply buffs on myself or debuffing mobs ie +5% phys dmg or 7% magic usually both we run decently balanced parties
    I wouldn't bother touching the archon tree until you've hit around 35+ maybe 40+
    Your DPS isn't going to be good, because an Archon isn't a DPS class, it's a support class.
    But basically you'll want to keep three key abilities on cooldown.

Volcanic Bomb
    Surging Flare

and

Earthen Barrage.

You'll also want to keep your aura's up as close to 100% uptime as possible.
    I haven't played Archon since I was level 44 so I'm sure there's more to it at 50 than when I was playing it.
    Also when I was playing it Earth Barrage increased the crit chance of your party by 30% instead of the 5% it does now, so there's been some changes since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Furienify View Post
    If you're going to purely augment your own supportive role, go Pyromancer. The cast time reduction applies to Surging Flare and Volcanic Bomb, as will the damage benefits.
    1) Are you sure that Volcanic Bomb counts as a fire spell? The only reason I ask is because it's initial damage is earth damage, as opposed to fire damage.

1a) Would the 5 points it takes to make the cast slightly faster really be worth it? I mean...that's 5 points for a spell you use every 15 seconds that already has a short enough cast time imo.

The only real bonus you get from Pyromancer is infinite mana by standing in a ground (and some passive fire damage increases that won't help your main nuke. In experts I personally have no problem with mana, and that's without even using Leeching Flames frequently and using my Mental Flare on the healer (who doesn't really need mana all that much either, so I could use it on myself if I had to). Pyromancer isn't a very strong build to go with Archon.

I just looked over all of the potential secondary souls in a soul-builder and I just couldn't find any spec that'd be worth working with in regards to a support role specifically. Your secondary soul should be a dps booster, plain and simple (chloro excluded of course, if you're doing chloro as your secondary that pretty much changes everything up).

Touching again on Dominator now that I've had some time to look it over, I have to say it's pretty worthless. I'm not sure if you've had the chance to run any experts (or raids yet), or if you're 50...but currently CC isn't really used ever. That being said, there is no reason to talent in to it or to augment it at all.

15 points into Dominator is terrible for raiding...Your trade-offs are severe. The only useful talents you gain from dominator are 10% intelligence, which would work well with Pillaging Stone buff + Rock Slide (and thus benefit your Mental Flare). Your roots would give you 80% threat drop...which you shouldn't need as an Archon / A dispel that should be covered by 3-5 other players in your raid to begin with / Accelerated Decay which has good potential, but it'd need to be cast very often and would probably hinder your rotation and lower your dps.

+ Reply to Thread