+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greater Earth Elemental - Holding Aggro

Default Greater Earth Elemental - Holding Aggro

I am having a hard time leveling as Elementalist because no matter the mob my Elemental is unable to hold aggro. I am currently level 26 and have 26 points in Elementalist and 6 in Stormcaller.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there anything I can do to increase the aggro of my pet outside of just sitting there and healing him?

A lot goes down in the 15 seconds you have to wait for Pulverize to pull the ncps off of you and by that time I am usually dead if I have more than one mob on myself.

Thanks -

No, your observations match my own. The Earth Elemental (both Greater and Lesser versions) is just very bad at what it is supposed to do.

I've submitted that feedback in game, and I hope that it is one of the things that is fixed in the upcoming "mage patch".

Only thing you can really do right now is let him beat on the mob for a bit before you try to dps.

One thing I would love to see here is an ability similar to Defer Rage (I think that's the name) from the Ranger tree. If you're not familiar, this ability transfers all threat you deal to your pet for the next 10 seconds. It easily allows you to start off a fight without any of the problems we deal with right now.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

For multiple mobs I found that if you attack just the mob that the pet is going after, he doesn't lose aggro.

If you attack a second mob or use an AOE, then they go gunning for you.

I no longer use AOE and have removed Lightning Strike completely from my rotation . I always target my pets target and do single target dps. However, even using my Ignite sometimes pulls the npc off my pet and I find myself running around like a chicken until one of iether Pulverize or Earthquake comes off of cool down.

It's really too bad since I really love this spec and did not want to make the switch to lock / chlor

Not being able to effectively AoE is what I think a lot of people are upset about as well. I experience severe issues with my greater elemental holding aggro on both single and groups of mobs. As far as I know, the greater earth elemental has AoE threat generation, does it not?

It's incredibly annoying to have to CC an add or spam heal the pet instead of just AoE'ing everything to death. When my pet occasionally has working AoE threat gen, I can rotate 2-3 AoE spells and just rack up kills.

Soulwalker

I've noticed similar issues. The Greater Earth Elemental seems to hold single target threat, for the most part. Best advice if you want to use Elementalist as your main build - Chloro offspec. Had great success with this, never running out of mana, and being able to heal both myself and my pet. If I do snap aggro, it really doesn't matter if they beat on me.

However, Necro/Lock still outperforms in both damage and sustainability. To each their own, though. I currently run both since I get tired of looking at skeletons all day. Level 44, and both work fine, just depends on what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Athen View Post
    I no longer use AOE and have removed Lightning Strike completely from my rotation . I always target my pets target and do single target dps. However, even using my Ignite sometimes pulls the npc off my pet and I find myself running around like a chicken until one of iether Pulverize or Earthquake comes off of cool down.

It's really too bad since I really love this spec and did not want to make the switch to lock / chlor
    I've had the same issue with ignite at level 25 right now. It's ridiculous because it makes little sense that it should have more aggro than my elementalist lightning bolt spell. I don't get the logic of the aggro in this game, it seems like that threat more or less is randomly rotated or something (I've noticed this in rift invasions).

Prophet of Telara

Earth Eles lost a lot of their tankability with the damage nerf. But you can do a lot to improve aggro handling by managing the Earth Ele's forced retarget abilities yourself.

Pulverise is the forced retarget ability of the Ele tank pet. The AI on the pets isn't great - it will use both its abilities right at the beginning of the fight... but there's little point in using the forced retarget straight away.... and then since it's on a 15s cooldown, it's usually completely wasted in most PvE solo play. So having it in your own control is much better.

Switch off auto-use on the Pulverise ability on the pet by right clicking on the icon in the pet bar. Drag it to your own short-cut bars (or use it via Ctrl-5). Fire it off when you need it.

You should get a good feel for when you need to use it. Couple of things to remember:
    * it's on the pet's cooldown... not on yours. So you have to keep an eye on when it's available and you can be using it at the same time as you're using one of your own abilities.

* the pet still has its other threat generating ability which is on the pet's GCD, so you may have to wait to tell it to Pulverise. If this is realluy frustrating, you can take both abilities off and use them yourself... but that's a level of micro-management too far for me personally.

* it's a melee range ability, so if you leave it too late and the mob is already on its way to you, you may find you can't actually use it until both the mob and the pet have reached you. That's not such a big deal, because when you use it the mob will turn to the pet immediately.
    Managing Pulverise yourself is also much better for dealing with multiple mobs. You can have the pet attacking the main mob, and use Pulverise on the add just before it strips off to come for you and if necessary use the next Pulverise on the other mob etc... you just have a lot more control over the situation if you're managing the forced retarget yourself.

If you're putting more points into the Elemental tree and intend to get the greater ele pet, then you'll find it's also very useful to manage both the single target and AoE forced retargets yourself, so getting used to it with the lesser pet is very worthwhile.

I'm not defending the tankability of the Ele pet. I think it's just a downright shame that what was such a good pet in most of Beta, ended up being at best so-so on live. I get that they wanted to make us put more points into Elementalist to get the good performance from it... but I just think they went too far in the other direction.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 03-19-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Oh and P.S. - yup I'd definitely agree that the Ele tree could do with a version of the Ranger Divert Rage ability.

X

Prophet of Telara

This needs fixing asap. It's the one reason I am stuck levelling with a necro soul in pve.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Athen View Post
    I am having a hard time leveling as Elementalist because no matter the mob my Elemental is unable to hold aggro. I am currently level 26 and have 26 points in Elementalist and 6 in Stormcaller.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there anything I can do to increase the aggro of my pet outside of just sitting there and healing him?

A lot goes down in the 15 seconds you have to wait for Pulverize to pull the ncps off of you and by that time I am usually dead if I have more than one mob on myself.

Thanks -
    I've found no way to increase pet aggro.

What I've done instead is increase my own survivability. When pulling multiple non-elite mobs, I usually just tank most of them myself using burning ground + inferno + radiant spores. Add in the other Cholormancer heals as needed.

I'm using Archon as my third soul, giving me the endurance buff from searing vitality. I'm also using a fair amount of + endurance gear.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 03-20-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    The greatest mistake wizards make is to think they can change the world
    The greatest mistake the gods make is to allow a few of them to get away with it.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detill5869 View Post
    This needs fixing asap. It's the one reason I am stuck levelling with a necro soul in pve.
    /shrug

Your choice.

Necro may be a little easier / faster, but other builds are perfectly viable.
    The greatest mistake wizards make is to think they can change the world
    The greatest mistake the gods make is to allow a few of them to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    I've found no way to increase pet aggro.

What I've done instead is increase my own survivability. When pulling multiple non-elite mobs, I usually just tank most of them myself using burning ground + inferno + radiant spores. Add in the other Cholormancer heals as needed.

I'm using Archon as my third soul, giving me the endurance buff from searing vitality. I'm also using a fair amount of + endurance gear.
    That's just it. For solo play and contrary to what you might think, the pet classes aren't always the most survivable. Necro is different not because of the pet per say but because of all the other cool utility powers that go along with necro.HOw would Necro be without Soul Purge's Heal and Damage function? If you gave Elementalists a power like that, but kept the pet the same we would be saying how great Elementalist was. Hell...give a Ranger a power like Soul Purge and It may be the only soul people play in the Rogue class ^_^

All the souls are NOT equally viable for solo leveling. Some Souls and combinations are just better than others. And there's nothing really wrong with that.
    Last edited by gel214th; 03-20-2011 at 10:59 AM.

A big plus for necro solo ability is also Feign Death.

Battle plan went to hell? So what? You have a Get-Out-Of-Jail card you can play every minute.

Elementalist survivability is nowhere close to that.
    Either your pet holds aggro... or it doesn't.
    If it doesn't, you're screwed.

That the earth pet does consistently mitigate more damage than any necro pet is not helpful.
    Tired of wading through vast rivers of tears? Use this awesome forum feature!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast