+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Good souls with Chloromancer?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Good souls with Chloromancer?

    Hey I haven't had a lot of time to test different class combinations so I was wondering if someone on the forums could assist me in a decision. Basically what I was wondering is what is a good combo with Chloro that would allow to deal some damage also. So like Chloro/Pyro/Dom I'm not exactly sure on this so I was hoping someone could make a recommendation.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Shadowlander Naaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Depends what your going for. Is this for solo? pvp? group pve?

    Casting anything but life spells is not going to be healing, so your best bet is to boost your life damage spells as much as you can. Warlock is the best choice for this, since it will greatly increase the damage of your life nukes, and you can throw in Dark Touch (insta DOT) for some extra dps if you wish.

    If you want to switch to high damage spells when you don't need to be healing, I guess pyro would work, but there is no real synergy between pyro and chloro other than spores maybe.

    The other choice would be Archon. The damage spells do much more damage than life nukes, and will give you buffs which can help your DPS even when you are using your life nukes, as well as debuff enemies. This works great in groups, but turns you into more of a support healer.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I'm going for group pve 2 man

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    70

    Default

    I would say Chloro/warlock if you're going as a main healer, if you're going as support/off healer then go chloro/archon.
    Whether you like me is irrelevant, you can't deny talent when it's evident.


  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    What would be the best off healer/damage dealing? Is that also chloro/archon?

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    But for 2-man group PvE there really isn't a question of being 'main' or 'support' healer. The most important question you need to answer really, is what is your partner going to be playing?

    You'll be doing mostly solo type content but as a duo... you're not going to be duoing instances. Honestly, in that situation you're unlikely to need a lot of the healing power that you could possibly get out of going deep into Chloro and you'd get a lot more out of really good DPS with a relatively small investment into Chloro for a little healing.

    Let us know what your partner will be playing and we can probably come up with a good adjunct to that. It doesn't have to be a precise description of the souls and investments of your partner... but a general guideline such as DPS Rogue, Tank Warrior etc would suffice.

    X

  7. #7
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    578

    Default

    From what I've read, Warlock if you want to be the best healer period.

    Personally, I'm not doing a pure-healing build, so I'm going for a support-heal, which basically involves Chloro-Dom. That is the major points in both, the 3rd could be ele for pet, Warlock for... something? archon for... hp buff, and thats really all i can I say about those.

    Personally I think in a group if yoru main healer, Chloro/Lock, If your off-healer, toss in Dom for CC, Silence, Disorients, Stuns, KBs, roots...

  8. #8
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Personally I think in a group if yoru main healer, Chloro/Lock, If your off-healer, toss in Dom for CC, Silence, Disorients, Stuns, KBs, roots..
    Talking generalisations and not knowing the duo partner class... the classic 5-man pure healer is Chloro/Lock, the classic Healer+Support is Chloro/Archon, Healer+DPS with better spot-heals is Chloro/Necro.

    Chloro/Dom is an unusual one. There's little in Dom that directly enhances Chloro - so you lose out on a bunch of healing by virtue of losing those enhancements. Chloro is very heavy on GCDs so you need to focus your casting on healing really. Keeping your eyes on health bars and main action, while also keeping an eye on CCed mobs and whether something broke or not, may distract your attention. Also, targeting can be an issue, as managing re-targets to CC targets and back slows you down to some extent, especially in Rift though you can do some funky stuff with cast through target and Focus Targets to help out.

    It's a challenging combo - and I'm sure a fun one to play... but more for secondary healing. Could be useful to have that mix when Duoing... but at the same time, against mostly solo-content with a duo... probably not really necessary to have all the control stuff from Dom on top of heavy healing from chloro.

    Not wrong... just not sure of the rationale for the situation.

    X

  9. #9
    Shield of Telara Cabreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    731

    Default

    hmmm for group pve I would suggest warlock because of the damage bonus charge generation hit point bonus and opportunity. Or run with an archon secondary but dont use your group buffs be selfish with your rock slide and pillaging stone

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    Talking generalisations and not knowing the duo partner class... the classic 5-man pure healer is Chloro/Lock, the classic Healer+Support is Chloro/Archon, Healer+DPS with better spot-heals is Chloro/Necro.

    Chloro/Dom is an unusual one. There's little in Dom that directly enhances Chloro - so you lose out on a bunch of healing by virtue of losing those enhancements. Chloro is very heavy on GCDs so you need to focus your casting on healing really. Keeping your eyes on health bars and main action, while also keeping an eye on CCed mobs and whether something broke or not, may distract your attention. Also, targeting can be an issue, as managing re-targets to CC targets and back slows you down to some extent, especially in Rift though you can do some funky stuff with cast through target and Focus Targets to help out.

    It's a challenging combo - and I'm sure a fun one to play... but more for secondary healing. Could be useful to have that mix when Duoing... but at the same time, against mostly solo-content with a duo... probably not really necessary to have all the control stuff from Dom on top of heavy healing from chloro.

    Not wrong... just not sure of the rationale for the situation.

    X
    Well, heres one for ya then.

    Quick Thinking, every time you CC, your next spell by 0.5 seconds.
    Controlled Opportunity Increases the dmg of hte next attack on the target by 20/40/60/80/100%.
    Swift Control after casting one of your CC, your casting speed is increased by 10/20/30/40/50%.
    Mana Wrench returns 6% of your mana every second for 6 seconds. 3 casts = full mana.
    Iron Willl While overpowering will is active, mana regeneneration is increased by 50/100/150/200/250%
    split personality - makes 3 versions of you that shoot void bolts. (unfortunateyl not life )


    Theres also abilities like
    Priests Lament, Silences the enemey if they cast a beneficial spell.
    Transference sucks out 50 energy/power or mana based on a % of yours and reduces there mana/energy/power regen.

    Memory Wipe. Reduce the AGRO you have against a mob.
    Arresting Prescence, Gives your entire raid a buff that has a 60% chance to reflect all spells back at the enemy while active. (charge spell)

    I haven't been able to test it yet, but I wonder what would happenif your enemy casts life spells. :P

    I never said it was about giving chloro MORE healing, just more supportive functions.
    It has tons of cc/debufs/ect, not meant to be a 'main healer', but a off-support healer. off healers should be focused more on dps than on 'healing' (to some capacity at least)

    But there are things in there that does give advantage to chloro. They may not be as great as chloro/lock in shere healing/dps, but its got some fun stuff.

    As for ccing, you can only squirrel 1 mob at a time, and thats 30seconds. If you can't keep that locked down you fail. :P
    Over powering will... IS tricky in that it don't always work right. But it will keep its self up while you have charge. Aka the ability you'd use if your getting hit.
    Then theres the Overwhelming exaust. (if you get it) mass aoe like confuse.
    Course necro/dom or lock/dom due to all the 'death' based dmg. Same with storm caller/dom.

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    Yes... but:
    All CC: if you're casting it on the current DPS target - then it tends to mess with tanking and aggro management... if you're casting it on another mob (assuming that there is another one), then you're attention is away from the current target... and you're not casting a healing spell during that CC GCD.

    Quick Thinking/Swift Control: if you have to stop and use a GCD to use a CC spell... that you wouldn't necessarily have needed to use otherwise... then getting 0.5s off the next spell cast isn't really a win. You could have used that GCD for casting a healing spell anyway.

    Mana Wrench: good Mana regen with damage too... but channeled so you take up casting time using it. If you're running it for 6 seconds, that's at least a Nature's Touch, Ruin and Vile Spores you've not cast in that time.

    Silences: You can get some PvE uses out of these - stopping casting mobs. But the majority of mobs that you'd need some form of damage reduction on... tend not to use mana based spell casting. Some do though... so it's not useless... it's just not a useful as in PvP for example.

    MemWipe is a nice tool for giving you a bit of space and time for a tank to grab aggro back again though.
    Like I said... it's an interesting combination to go for. There's certainly some stuff in there that could be useful.

    But the playstyle is a split one... because of targeting issues, distracted attention and so many benefits tied to the casting of CC. If you're wanting to be casting CC a lot, then having things like shorter casting times and extra damage as a result is great... but you're already losing GCDs in order to cast the CC... so the gains for the healing side aren't really great - because you could have used that GCD to cast a heal in the first place. And if you're casting CC enough to get a lot of benefit from it and the follow-on effects... then you're likely to only be delivering 'support healer' level healing... rather than main healer level.

    See how you go with it though. I'll have to admit to honestly just not liking Dom play or its tree much, so I know it wouldn't be for me... and I may be a bit too focussed on the negatives as a result.

    X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 03-20-2011 at 11:57 AM.

  12. #12
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    578

    Default

    They are definatley valid points.
    In the case of OverPowering will, its cast time is 1.5s, it supposedly 'confuses' the enemy, and if it breaks and yoru within 20m, you will auto-reaply every 2s. Sow hile thats active, your next attack, say vile spores, hits the mob, for +50% dmg due to controlled op. Therse a possibility that while every time it breaks due to dmg, and is reapplied through the charge-aspect, that the dmg buff would still apply with every-re-apply, So escentially every 'vile spore' or nearly would gain +50% dmg on that target. Mind you, Confuse isn't the kind of CC you want to use to hold a mob, its the kind of short term CC you place on a mob, that you have drawn Agro on, and is already a target, So you'd place it on him, while everyones nailing it, it stops hitting you, while others re-establish agro and you nuke it. And, while its up, you get 250% manargen, You can easilly stack it with entropic veil if you wanted to, and get even more damage.
    Its not nearly as good as lock/chloro, but I think it has its perks for its shere versitality.

    I honestly wonder if the ability Reflective Presence, if the dmg reflected by others in your party counts as 'your' damage, theres, or the 'mob' damaging its self.

    A mob using life spells against you, + reflective + lifegiving veil, could potentially be devistating in terms of healing. :P

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,056

    Default

    I can see benefits from the Overpowering Will scenario you mention.. but does the re-application of Overpowering Will count as a 'casting' to trigger Control Opportunity (or Quick Thinking etc)? If that's the case, then it might indeed be an interesting build to go for... I wonder if anybody can answer that question?

    X

  14. #14
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    578

    Default

    The biggest stepping stone with that is, even if it does trigger controlled oppurtunity, it will only re-apply every 2 seconds, for 8 seconds. (I've only had it reapply once so far, but I also barely use it, as it just hasn't worked into my solo rotation yet :P)

    But given how vile spores is a 2s cast time...
    Theres also a cool down to work with, + the fact it eats up charge.

    Way I see it though, you got Lock/Chloro for heals, And Chloro/dom or Chloro/archon as the support version. Chloro has more CC based debuffs, (snares, silence, confuse, stuns, kb's ect) while archon has more stat/dmg debuffs.

    Course, don't forget Dom's 31 point ability, Cadence.
    (pvp only unfortunately) reduces another players dmg by 10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90/100% per stack, 10 stacks, lasts 20 seconds (correct me If i'm wrong, going by memory here) 1 stack applied every action.

    I dunno, As much as you just don't like Dom, I don't care for Archon. (I'd probably make a pyro/archon though...)

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple Wilzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Quick Thinking, every time you CC, your next spell by 0.5 seconds.
    Controlled Opportunity Increases the dmg of hte next attack on the target by 20/40/60/80/100%.
    Swift Control after casting one of your CC, your casting speed is increased by 10/20/30/40/50%.
    Why are you even thinking about casting CC spells? Chloro doesn't have any CC spells, and you don't want to distract yourself from healing. Let a DPS whose job is 10x easier than yours handle CC.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Mana Wrench returns 6% of your mana every second for 6 seconds. 3 casts = full mana.
    Yeah but, you're self-healing too, why not just pickup Warlock and Sacrifice Life: Mana? It's infinitely more efficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Iron Willl While overpowering will is active, mana regeneneration is increased by 50/100/150/200/250%
    split personality - makes 3 versions of you that shoot void bolts. (unfortunateyl not life )
    This is neat, but going deep into Dominator for a neat trick simply isn't worthwhile.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Theres also abilities like
    Priests Lament, Silences the enemey if they cast a beneficial spell.
    Transference sucks out 50 energy/power or mana based on a % of yours and reduces there mana/energy/power regen.
    More stuff you shouldn't need to worry about. You're trying to be WAY too cute with your build as opposed to just doing your job. If you are doing too much silly crap, you simply aren't doing your job. Try slacking off at work in front of your boss, see how much he appreciates it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Memory Wipe. Reduce the AGRO you have against a mob.
    This is also not your job. It's the tank's job. You do yours, let them do theirs.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    Arresting Prescence, Gives your entire raid a buff that has a 60% chance to reflect all spells back at the enemy while active. (charge spell)
    Again with the shenanigans. Definitely trying to be much too cute.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    I never said it was about giving chloro MORE healing, just more supportive functions.
    It has tons of cc/debufs/ect, not meant to be a 'main healer', but a off-support healer. off healers should be focused more on dps than on 'healing' (to some capacity at least)
    The only thing you'd offer a raid with this spec is a headache, and would make the raid leader ask why they're even bringing you along. This spec has no place in any serious 5-man whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDeath View Post
    But there are things in there that does give advantage to chloro. They may not be as great as chloro/lock in shere healing/dps, but its got some fun stuff.

    As for ccing, you can only squirrel 1 mob at a time, and thats 30seconds. If you can't keep that locked down you fail. :P
    Over powering will... IS tricky in that it don't always work right. But it will keep its self up while you have charge. Aka the ability you'd use if your getting hit.
    Then theres the Overwhelming exaust. (if you get it) mass aoe like confuse.
    Course necro/dom or lock/dom due to all the 'death' based dmg. Same with storm caller/dom.
    All in all, I was pretty harsh, however, it's pretty insulting to the OP who is asking for legit advice, and you're giving him nothing but pure turds. Please stop trying to give advice such as your Dom suggestion, because it's one of the worst imaginable options available.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts