+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lack of heroic survivability ~ (Minor rift heroics.) in all soul trees

Soulwalker

Default Lack of heroic survivability ~ (Minor rift heroics.) in all soul trees

Alright. I can understand that heroics aren't designed for soloing.

However, I was doing a minor rift last night (Lev 50), and the heroic boss spawned @ round 5.
    it had 22k HP, hit for about 900-1000dmg.

I tried it in 3 different soul specs.
    1) Necro/Warlock, using CCs, stuns, snares, but no. It still killed me in the end.
    2) Chloromancer/Archon, trying to heal through the damage, but I couldn't.
    3) Stormcaller/Arch/Lock, trying to just dps the **** out of it before it could kill me.

All 3 failed.

There was no opportunity for me to be able to do this solo, whilst warriors, rogues and even clerics are able to solo minor rifts without difficulty.

Either give mages more capability (Blah blah we're underpowered, yes, we are. But everybody rants about that and well that isn't my focus here), or make it so that minor rifts give the option to give a heroic in the 5th/6th stage, or a solo mob. I don't know how that would work, but as it stands, it's frustrating getting to that stage and having to abandon the work you've done.

I have full purple gear, possibly the best gear on the guardian side of Blightweald as a mage, and I still take FAR more damage than I should, imo. My gear doesn't seem to give me any additional benefits against solo mobs, it doesn't give me more survivability. I don't get more damage mitigation regardless of the armor increase provided... I thought I would notice a difference stepping up from full greens/blues -> purple gear (I think I only have two items which aren't purple now.), yet... I noticed no difference in terms of survivability, only dps from spellcrit/int increases.

I think the mage class overall needs work.

However, last night I made quite possibly the best infinite-mana stormcaller build (without even using mana skills). So I'm more than satisfied with group content. Soloing is lame, though.

I don't see how attempting to solo a heroic raid gives you the indication that a class needs work.

I think Mages do need work, yes, but attempting to do something that was built for the purpose of being completed by a large group of people does not serve as sufficient evidence to claim this.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Real View Post
    I don't see how attempting to solo a heroic raid gives you the indication that a class needs work.

I think Mages do need work, yes, but attempting to do something that was built for the purpose of being completed by a large group of people does not serve as sufficient evidence to claim this.
    Minor rifts are designed to be solo content. Well, soloable.
    Major rifts are supposed to be the group content.
    Expert rifts are supposed to be the harder group content.
    Raid rifts are supposed to be raid content.

The least they could do is lower the damage of heroics within minor rifts to make them killable by all classes, as opposed to leaving us in the dark.

"Minor rifts are designed to be completed by a solo player, but you'll need a group of people to reach and complete the bonus stages!" - HINT screen

I don't know how you're having any trouble, tbh. Trying to burst something down as Stormcaller is counterintuitive since you have to build up, and I don't know how you had trouble with Necro/Lock. It's pretty easy:

1. Summon tank pet (NOT EXHUME)
    2. Send in, drop grave rot, put up Necrosis, Essence Link, Looming Demise
    3. Void bolt spam
    4. When pet reaches 66%, put up Blood Binding and start using Life Shift. Essence Link will keep you topped off.
    5. When he's at a suitable health level, continue DPS, reapply DoTs, Soul Purge, etc.
    6. If for some reason your pet dies, if you specced Necromancer decently he'll explode and stun the enemy for 2s (varies, some elites aren't immune to it); just Exhume and bring out a new one, Wither and kite until aggro is restored.

Even easier as a Pyro.

1. Ground of Strength
    2. Flame Bolt
    3. Heat Wave
    4. Pew pew

Might need to mix in a potion, but things generally won't last through that.

p.s: that's an 'elite' not a heroic. And your gear isn't going to give you an damage reduction, you're a clothie. You just blow things up faster.
    Last edited by Furienify; 03-19-2011 at 07:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Telaran

Minor rifts are fine at the moment, I find it a challenge t oget to stage 5 but can do so reasonably well. Like someone else said concerning killing the 5th stage boss, send the pet in and ensure its health is topped up. I apply dots straight away as these boost the damage of the pet as well as damaging the boss down. It may take some time but it will be downed eventually.

We're talking minutes here not hours ;~)
    'A mind without purpose will walk in dark places' - Gideon Ravenor

You are a Keyboard Warrior....

Rift Disciple

I have done this - though very difficult - with a necro/war/chloro build, using the skeletal knight to tank. First, dont burn your charge on stage 4, you'll need most of it very early vs. last mob. Radiant Spores, Necrosis (so pet grabs aggro), Essence Link, Dark Touch, then you'll be channeling Revivify to keep pet alive as long as possible. Repeat if your pet gets a break between hits and gets his HP back up, you want to keep firing insta-DoTs to maximize your charge.

When your pet is about to die - it won't take long - get some distance, then make sure you've got spores up then Shadow Life if boss is below 50% - you want to time this so it doesn't expire before boss does. If Opportunity procs cast Withering Vines, if not just go with Life Leech, Exhume, Skelly again, Neddra's Torture, and this time channel Soul Purge (you'll have aggro, pet won't get it back). If you're spec'd far enough Neddra's Essence should last long enough to kill him, if not you may want an HP pot handy or one of the planar consumables, eg. Soul Remnant.

Again, not a guaranteed win but it is doable. Of course others may have different builds/strategies/rotations, but this has had some success for me.
    Last edited by Cblaze; 03-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cblaze View Post
    I have done this - though very difficult - with a necro/war/chloro build, using the skeletal knight to tank. First, dont burn your charge on stage 4, you'll need most of it very early vs. last mob. Radiant Spores, Necrosis (so pet grabs aggro), Essence Link, Dark Touch, then you'll be channeling Revivify to keep pet alive as long as possible. Repeat if your pet gets a break between hits and gets his HP back up, you want to keep firing insta-DoTs to maximize your charge.

When your pet is about to die - it won't take long - get some distance, then make sure you've got spores up then Shadow Life if boss is below 50% - you want to time this so it doesn't expire before boss does. If Opportunity procs cast Withering Vines, if not just go with Life Leech, Exhume, Skelly again, Neddra's Torture, and this time channel Soul Purge (you'll have aggro, pet won't get it back). If you're spec'd far enough Neddra's Essence should last long enough to kill him, if not you may want an HP pot handy or one of the planar consumables, eg. Soul Remnant.

Again, not a guaranteed win but it is doable. Of course others may have different builds/strategies/rotations, but this has had some success for me.
    I find with just dotting the boss, ensuring the dots stay up and just sit back healing the pet until full charge the soul purging to give myself life back, healing the pet using a mixture of bloom and the necro healing spells it works.
    'A mind without purpose will walk in dark places' - Gideon Ravenor

You are a Keyboard Warrior....

Soulwalker

I'm only level 36 but i can solo minor Rifts easily.

I'm Necro/Lock/Chloro. Specced heavily into pets and the Necro tank pet takes a bit of damage but i can keep up the dots and keep the pet alive easily. The final bosses have around 10k health and you just grind them down.

+ Reply to Thread