+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing it wrong? DPS in PvE

Soulwalker

Default Am I doing it wrong? DPS in PvE

Hi all,

First off - let me say that I could be a total newb. I'm a long-time MMO vet. but tend to be PvP focused, and min-maxing for PvE is not my thing.

That being said, I've been struggling to increase my DPS for T2 dungeons. I've tried numerous specs - archon, pyro, SC, etc. Best I can manage so far has been about 450dps on a training dummy with Chloro, and 610dps using a Necrolock with the rogue pet.

What am I doing wrong? My stats are decent - I have a good mix of t1 epic pieces and t1 blue items - currently SP 725 and 395 CRIT and 131 FOCUS.

Should I be parsing higher in Necrolock? It's pretty much ez mode over a 2 minute rotation - throw up a life leech, keep necrosis and DT up, apply looming demise when needed, rotate in grave rots, spam void bolt to keep LL applied, and when you feel like it pop lich form / sac health for damage / empty the crypts.

What could I be doing to parse higher? Is there another spec I should be trying? I'm tired of elitist ***-h@ts that form t2 pugs and want to parse me before joining the group, coz warriors and rogues will do +200 dps over me.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsias View Post
    What could I be doing to parse higher?
    The easy answer is to play a Warrior.

The hard answer is that there is np great way to increase your dps as a Mage. You are doing the right things, trying many specs, parsing the dummies, etc. From what I have seen and heard, 610 is not terrible for a Mage in mostly T1 gear.

What builds and rotations are you using for the various specs?
    Last edited by Brad1959; 03-19-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

Champion

Sounds about right.

Try DPS while using a full chloro or full archon build....its the only usefull pve endgame build for a mage, and then your healing and buffing others, so your LOL DPS isnt so embarassing anymore.

Mages are like the waiters of Rift...here to serve others.
    Last edited by Crunchyblack; 03-19-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Shadowlander

That is a real shame, and I am sad to see it in rift. arsehats running damage meters and parses all the time are why i left wow, and feeling like I have to switch my class/spec just to keep up due to no fault of my own, but just how poorly designed the game is.
    Waiting on guild wars 2, would be nice to play my class and have fun, I'm tired of "rotating" every damn thing.

Telaran

600 odd dps is fine imo. Your on single target so to me thats a good baseline. I play Stormcaller and currently in T2s my damage is just insane. Each pull is 3-4 mobs, forked lightning will hit all 4 followed by lightning field which will hit like a truck as it bounces off each. I generally get 1.2-1.6k dps each pull, and on the boss fights i stay stormcaller for the lightning field spell. Many fights involve moving around out of aoe etc, IF i push it and get lucky with crits i can push out close to 700 - 750 single target dps. Not game breaking but the t2s ive been in so far it seems very on par.
    'A mind without purpose will walk in dark places' - Gideon Ravenor

You are a Keyboard Warrior....

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Coiffio View Post
    That is a real shame, and I am sad to see it in rift. arsehats running damage meters and parses all the time are why i left wow, and feeling like I have to switch my class/spec just to keep up due to no fault of my own, but just how poorly designed the game is.
    Ok fair enough mages might be lacking in some specs in producing damage, but learn to adapt until the issues are resolved. I guess you play a dps mage instead of the support line? I play mainly damage dealing mage and i take this role seriously. I dont use the meters to study other peoples damage I use it to study my own! Obviously if there is a issue with the mobs not going down quick enough then i might gander at other peoples dps and to be honest if its not up to scratch i would let them know..

Damage dealers are there to deal damage and thanks to damage meters we can tell if the tank is doing more damage than you which is just totally wrong. I generally find people who dont like Damage Meters to be the ones who fail and doing damage.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by RavenorUK View Post
    600 odd dps is fine imo. Your on single target so to me thats a good baseline. I play Stormcaller and currently in T2s my damage is just insane. Each pull is 3-4 mobs, forked lightning will hit all 4 followed by lightning field which will hit like a truck as it bounces off each. I generally get 1.2-1.6k dps each pull, and on the boss fights i stay stormcaller for the lightning field spell. Many fights involve moving around out of aoe etc, IF i push it and get lucky with crits i can push out close to 700 - 750 single target dps. Not game breaking but the t2s ive been in so far it seems very on par.
    How are you getting 750 dps with SC on a single-target?

Why don't you play the highest damage spec which is 51Aechon/11Necro/4Pyro?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Scintilla View Post
    Why don't you play the highest damage spec which is 51Aechon/11Necro/4Pyro?
    I tried that - should be easy mode to do (macro'd everything on a timer + plague bolt) and it's less DPS than Necrolock (from what I could parse). By about 100-200 dps.

Champion

Well if people do not figure out how to handle stormcaller right in about 2 weeks you will know. I am susprirsed by this since some of the mages here have to be from beta.. and remember the tally then. Still waiting to see that archon build parsed and pushing that single target damage.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
    Well if people do not figure out how to handle stormcaller right in about 2 weeks you will know. I am susprirsed by this since some of the mages here have to be from beta.. and remember the tally then. Still waiting to see that archon build parsed and pushing that single target damage.
    Meaning? Care to elaborate?

It was sad to me whenever I would ask any other calling what sort of damage they were doing to a mob, have them read back their last few attacks or whatever.. and their damage was much, much higher than mine per attack, and doing more damage more often as well. Everyone suspected it, and then the people with the parsers proved it.

We sit in vent and talk about what sort of hits we've done on a mob and it's depressing to hear, hell, just last night running expert Rifts.. the damage the others were doing vs me as a Pyro (mix blue/epic/t1 gear) was amazing.

I was obviously more useful in Chloro.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsias View Post
    How are you getting 750 dps with SC on a single-target?
    my build is 11 archon, 26 stormcaller, 29 warlock.

Start of the fight popping Sacrifice Life: Damage, Ice shear, Dark Touch, Raging Storm, lightning field spam till raging storm on half CD then hit lightning bolt, more lightning field spam till raging storm is up. Pop static flux every full charge, and every oppotunity hit artic blast if its on cd hit icicle.

11 points in archon = no mana problems what so ever so no GCD wasted for life:mana.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by RavenorUK View Post
    my build is 11 archon, 26 stormcaller, 29 warlock.

Start of the fight popping Sacrifice Life: Damage, Ice shear, Dark Touch, Raging Storm, lightning field spam till raging storm on half CD then hit lightning bolt, more lightning field spam till raging storm is up. Pop static flux every full charge, and every oppotunity hit artic blast if its on cd hit icicle.

11 points in archon = no mana problems what so ever so no GCD wasted for life:mana.
    It seems like you could really improve on this with adding very few more points into Stormcaller. 2 points into Deadly Shards gives you 14% more damage (2% from Stretch of Cold) against the 4% of Improved Warlock Armor.

Champion

People like you are why groups fail in t2

Some of those boss fightss are 20 mins long with everyone doing 600+ dps. Fail like you doing 200 cause he cannt be arsed to spend an hour on a dummy finding the optimal rotation for his spec hold everyone else back

Online friendships only go so far. At some point your buddies will want to get the shinies too and they will do it without you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast