+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is chloromancer a main healer?

Telaran

Default Is chloromancer a main healer?

So i rolled a mage as my main having been a healer as a main the past 8-10 years in any mmo ive played.
    Since i hit lvl 50 in rift ive being doing some T1s with guildies and they asked me to assist the main healer which is a cleric so i specced chloro.
    Initially i hadnt a clue but after a few hours studying things i understood how things worked and found the healing addiction coming back to me yet again
    I really enjoy playing my chloro now and dare i say it even more than my dps specs, despite vowing the stick to dps for rift

Anyways this got me thinking about healing endgame as a main healer.
    Some guys in my guild say chloro can be a main healer others say not a hope.
    The cleric i run with uses the combat parser and links the healing and to my surprise im healing a lot more than him despite my gear not being as good as his.
    Am i correct in thinking the chloro seems to be more of a group or raid healer as opposed to sentinel clerics with their big single target heals?

My cleric is lvl 15 now and im trying to decide if i should level him up for endgame main healer or just stick to the chloro which i must say is very enjoyable.
    I guess us healers never shake that addiction :P

Rift Disciple

Depending on your other souls and your play-style, a Chloromancer can be either a main healer or DPS/support-healing for most content. At lower levels, before more burst healing is available to them, it might be a bit challenging to main heal with a Chloromancer. But as you fill out the whole tree and pick up some support talents from other trees, it's definitely feasable.

I run with a Bard on my Cleric. Although having him around is amazing for buffs and healing, he can't support the tank or heavy damage (for long anyway) by himself. My GM is Chloro but he says it's similar to Bard in that it can't support a tank for long.

That's not to say that Bards and Chloros aren't needed though. Clerics (at least in Sent MS) go OOM very fast if you spam too many AoE heals. This is where Bard/Chloro shines. ^^
    Ashe of Silkweb

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    I run with a Bard on my Cleric. Although having him around is amazing for buffs and healing, he can't support the tank or heavy damage (for long anyway) by himself. My GM is Chloro but he says it's similar to Bard in that it can't support a tank for long.

That's not to say that Bards and Chloros aren't needed though. Clerics (at least in Sent MS) go OOM very fast if you spam too many AoE heals. This is where Bard/Chloro shines. ^^
    Since you mention bard ive heard the bard is not anywhere near the chloro healing, how true this is i really dont know.

Telaran

Bards are supporters, buffers and debuffers. Some minor heal is a byproduct.
    Chloros are healers, so far I didn't have a problem keeping the tank healed.

Once you get Synthesis, Nature's Touch and Natural Fusion that is, before that it's harder.

If your friend has problems with chloro healing, the mage is doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaince View Post

Once you get Synthesis, Nature's Touch and Natural Fusion that is, before that it's harder.

If your friend has problems with chloro healing, the mage is doing something wrong.
    Actually Bard healing is quite impressive, for example in the 10-19 bracket in Black Garden I am able to keep up the fang carrier with ease.

But yes you are probably right, as I have no experience with Chloro. I was just providing what I assumed to be correct. Thanks for clearing that up! :3
    Ashe of Silkweb

I have been main healing the tier 1's so far with a bard backup if things get rough, it seems main healing Chloro is less forgiving in if you miss one spell or time a spell wrong its hard to make up for it. We just got a cleric in our guild to 50 so going to see how that goes. But as for T1s go yes chloros can main heal.
    Last edited by Kamun; 03-19-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jaince View Post

You misunderstand , im the mage and healing as chloro, i never said anyone has a problem i just asked can chloro be a main healer.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Your GM has a serious L2P issue if he thinks Chloro is in any way similar to a Bard and he can't support a tank for long. You should tell him about Synthesis sometime. Chloro has a VERY strong single target heal through Synthesis if there's something to damage. The only time a Chloro should have problem healing the tank is the rare situation when the boss become immune to damage but continues to hit the tank.

Chloro IS a main healer. A main healer with virtually endless mana.

Plane Touched

Yes, they are a main Healer.

Much like Riftstalkers can Tank or Justicar can tank.

It's to provide a way to flesh out teams better too.

I have healed better as a Chloro than some healers I grouped with.

It helps to get the DoT Talent early on (the one that gives your DD a dot) and I wouldn't main heal a Dungeon as Chloro untill after 16 and Nature's Touch.

I did/do Chloro/Archon so full support and I rarely run low on MP.

Rift Disciple

yes.

Specced properly, a chloro can main heal. I just finished an expert charmer's caldera run where I healed with a bard as a backup. I would argue that 30 points in warlock are almost a necessity for main healing as a chloro, the extra damage buffs just add so much power to the heals.

my build is 30 lock/36 chloro, with the extra soul empty archon for the endurance and int buffs/debuffs, though there are really 4 variable points, since you really need the 32 points in chloro and that's it.

I also have a Backup heal spec, which is 28 archon, 6 warlock, 32 chloro so i off heal and buff/debuff. this works best when there's no bard available.

Telaran

Ive being using theis build so far guys.
    Anything i should change?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vxo.EdIuoVczoo

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Efioanaes View Post
    Ive being using theis build so far guys.
    Anything i should change?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Vxo.EdIuoVczoo
    Call of Spring in its current form is not really worth it because it doesn't affect heals from Lifegiving Veil. I would drop it and get 3/3 Raised in Nature and Shadow Life from Warlock. Extra HP is always good. Neddra's Influence is also broken and it doesn't increase the damage of the DoTs from Nature's Corrosion so going for 5/5 Vitality for the extra HP again seems to be better.

Let me makes this loud and clear:

CHLOROMANCERS ARE MAIN HEALERS.

Bards were designed to be a support class. They have lots of buffs, debuffs, and heals all built into one class. Chloromancers are pure healing. On their own they give the group no buffs, the only debuff they have is their 38 point hot removal and heal reduction cast on a 30 second timer. However, they are able to vastly outshine cleric healers and bards as both healers and buffers.

Initially healing as a chloro is very difficult. When you first make your way into t1s you will most definitely want a support healer with you. Bard/Chloro is one of the best combinations for healing in the game. The bard can buff your spell power and debuff the mob to your magic damage, all while healing for a little bit themselves. As a chloromancer your strong point is tank healing. I do not believe there is a better main tank healer in the game. The chloromancer's weak point is that they lack the ability to recover from large GROUP damage. They have access to two big AOE heals, and they are both on timers, one 20 seconds and one 2 minutes. However, they are constantly hotting the group, and with a support bard you are usually very capable for keeping the group alive.

This being said, you can very easily solo heal once you get the knack and gear for it. At 50 I've solo healed all the t1s and several of the t2s. However, I am most often a support healer for my group, because instead of having a neato bard to run with, I have a cleric. For this reason I've spec'd chlorochon (32 Archon/28 Chloromancer/6 necro). This spec is a pain. Once all your group and personal buffs are up this spec is a healing power house. What many people do not realize is that Archon provides more healing bonus than warlock does for the chloromancer. It is also much more mana efficient, so you will never find yourself wasting a CD on a lifetap (especially since you won't have the skill). The downsides to this spec are the ramping up of buffs, which is difficult to do while healing, and its complete lack of OMG WTF GAHHHH buttons. You only put enough points in chloro to maximize your healing from direct damage spells and your instant cast heals.

For solo healing there are several great options. 32/28/6 (chloro/warlock/necro) is fantastic for solo healing. You get 16% bonus damage, instant cast spells, all the best stuff from chloro (except my favorite, natural splendor), and no ramp up time. You always heal at your best, and you have no other distractions. Another great spec is 44/16/6 (chloro/warlock/necro). This gives you access to natural splendor, probably the best oh fuu button at your disposal. It works best with a melee group as natural splendor heals everyone within 5 meters of your target for an astronomical amount of healing. A complaint about this build, however, is that you miss out on 16-20% bonus damage (and thus healing). My response to this is, though the deeper points in warlock make you a consistently better healer, the 44 points in chloro provides you with the versatility to heal your group in a greater range of situations. You never know when a huge set of aoes are going to hit, and having access to a massive group heal could be what saves you. This spec also provides you with the warlock aoe, which situationally, can be very nice to have during light healing aoe encounters.

That all being said, when someone tells you a chloromancer is a support, you tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. This is not WoW, EQ, or any other MMO, and preconceived notions of classes that most people have little to know experience playing is rather silly. Not every chloromancer can main heal, but neither can every cleric - a lot of people straight up suck at video games. You just need to learn how a chloro heals and do your best to compensate for its weak points. Once you have them figured out you'll be a beastly main healer.
    For luck you carried a horse chestnut and a rabbit's foot in your right pocket. The fur had been worn off the rabbit's foot long ago and the bones and the sinews were polished by the wear. The claws scratched in the lining of your pocket and you knew your luck was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredBKnott View Post
    Let me makes this loud and clear:

What many people do not realize is that Archon provides more healing bonus than warlock does for the chloromancer. It is also much more mana efficient, so you will never find yourself wasting a CD on a lifetap
    I never lifetap with a 36/30 chloro/lock build. I'm rarely below 50% mana before the cooldown on living shell is up. Mana isn't the reason to go with lock as a chloro, a chloro actually should never run into mana issues at all regardless of his secondary tree.

I get that Archon gives massive mana efficiency to just about any spec you pair exhiliration with, but chloro doesn't need it.

As for Archon providing more raw healing power than lock, I'm just not seeing this -- how is it getting more than the 20% that lock provides? Furthermore, spending lots of gcds on archon buffs and debuffs just gets in the way of healing. 36/30 chloro/lock builds are focused like a laser beam on one thing and one thing only: healing. And that's as it should be. Main healing is a full time job, support side functions are best left for support builds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast