+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Math on Spell Damage?

Default Math on Spell Damage?

I'm just curious if anyone knows the exact mathematical equation for base spell damage output as I'm attempting to figure out how powerful some talents are for bonus damage. Any additional math to calculate resistances isn't necessary for my own personal use at this point, though if someone wanted to post that as well it wouldn't be frowned upon.

Here's a simple rough guess...

Spell Damage = Spell Power * (1 + X)

X = Sum of bonus damage talents (In the form of decimals, 10% bonus damage being 0.1 obviously)

Won't it depend on the spell coefficient. That means that every spell will be different from each other, or I misunderstood what you are doing.

I'm only looking for base spell damage in conjunction with talents. The addition of the coefficient into the math problem is easy:

Spell Damage = [Spell Power * (1 + X)] * Spell Coefficient

Unless I'm incorrect on where the coefficient multiplier is placed, which is why I'm asking about the math breakdown to begin with.

If you take the base damage of rank 10 Fireball for me is 195-202.

Then take the spell power DPS. Which 903 spell power = 180.6 damage per second increase.

Fireball is a 2.5 second cast time spell.

180.6 x 2.5 = 451.5

451.5 + ~200 = ~651.5

before buffs.

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/rift2011031821011766.jpg/

Not sure if this works for other spells but this quick test proved reliable.
    Last edited by TheRealCheesy; 03-18-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCheesy View Post
    If you take the base damage of rank 10 Fireball for me is 195-202.

Then take the spell power DPS. Which 903 spell power = 180.6 damage per second increase.

Fireball is a 2.5 second cast time spell.

180.6 x 2.5 = 451.5

451.5 + ~200 = ~651.5

before buffs.

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/rift2011031821011766.jpg/

Not sure if this works for other spells but this quick test proved reliable.
    Can you provide a link to the spec used to make this test? I'd like to find out if the math I suggested works in conjunction with coefficients as well for fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilzon View Post
    Can you provide a link to the spec used to make this test? I'd like to find out if the math I suggested works in conjunction with coefficients as well for fireball.
    Was my Pyro PvP spec Archmage/Pyro/Lock. 5/51/10. The more points you have into Pyro does increase the base damage of fire spells because Burning Bright.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCheesy View Post
    Was my Pyro PvP spec Archmage/Pyro/Lock. 5/51/10. The more points you have into Pyro does increase the base damage of fire spells because Burning Bright.
    *nods* What I was hoping for was a link to your specific build so that I could plug the numbers of your build into some math problems to see if I can figure out the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilzon View Post
    *nods* What I was hoping for was a link to your specific build so that I could plug the numbers of your build into some math problems to see if I can figure out the math.
    Here.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z0Iv.x.eftIuusuts.xx

Really the only math you would need to do would be .6% fire damage x amount of points into the tree.
    Last edited by TheRealCheesy; 03-18-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: less ******

*Bump*

My equation isn't right and am still wondering if anyone knows the equation used to calculate spell damage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Wilzon; 03-19-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Champion

Therealcheezy gave you the right equation. It is the same one we used in beta and it worked. Spell power is added to the tooltip base damage based on the spell's cast time, and it can be used to find the hidden internal cast time on instant spells as well.

You apply the modifiers, such as damage % etc, after.

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post
    Therealcheezy gave you the right equation. It is the same one we used in beta and it worked. Spell power is added to the tooltip base damage based on the spell's cast time, and it can be used to find the hidden internal cast time on instant spells as well.

I heard that the + damage % was only added to the base damage, before spell power is added.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonson View Post
    I heard that the + damage % was only added to the base damage, before spell power is added.
    Takes a very short amount of time to do 10 casts to find the medium <remove crits> and do your equation to find that this is incorrect. The dps increase from spellpower is added to the base of the tooltip damage based on cast time, which gives the adjusted base damage. From there you do the modifiers.

How about the +damage modifiers such as the +10% from Ground of Power? Are they added just to the base ((base x mod) + (dps x cast time)) or at the end to the ((base + (dps x cast time)) x mod)?

Quote Originally Posted by kuggy View Post

Just wanted to say thank you very much to Kuggy for the confirmation on the math.

Rift Master

its not that simple. if it does work for fire spells then great. I havent tested them.

But stormcaller.
    82-86 tbolt. 602sp (120.4dps) 1.5s c with 5% talent hits for max 246. 148 from spell power.
    its getting 98.1dps. of that 120 listed for its 1.5s cast time.
    24.4% of spell power coeff.

68-72 forked lit 602sp. 1.5s cast (4 targets).
    also has that 5% talent.
    hits max 252. 166 damage/hit from spell power. 110 dps.
    27.6% sp coeff.

Neither is getting 120dps as listed by spell power. the aoe forked lit, is clearly getting more dps from spell power as an aoe. as its hitting for more damage then tbolt with the same cast time, but less base damage.

unexplained. randomly HIT for 323 with forked lit. non crit. just randomly hit for way more damage. no debuffs on target, no buffs on me.

Icicle
    81-86 damage 2.5s cast. hits for 212 max. 611sp 122.2 dps listed. 126damage/cast. 50.4dps.
    20.6% spell coeff
    (icicle is complete **** as you can see.)

There are modifiers in many spells.
    cooldown? bonus damage.
    aoe? bonus damage.
    debuff? damage penalty.

You really need to test every spell individually. as those penalties and buffs do not seem to be entirely even. and this creates alot of weirdness.
    Esp in Stormcaller.
    all sc spells take heavy penalties due to applying hypo or electrified. you're kindof screwed before you even start unfairly.
    Then, since aoe bonus is greater then debuff penalty. aoe sc abilities quickly become your main source of dps, even single target.
    forked lit>tbolt and litfield> both of them.

+ Reply to Thread