+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Necro/Lock -- Plague bolt or void bolt?

Soulwalker

Default Necro/Lock -- Plague bolt or void bolt?

Which one should I be using? I was using plague bolt for deathly calling, but everyone seems to be talking more about void bolt.

I read on another forum, that it's supposed to be Void Bolt. Something about the bonus of Deathly Calling isn't worth the loss of the higher damage output that Void Bolt offers, and that you get enough stacks of DC anyhow from other abilities that you use, making VB much stronger to cast.

Asks me the same question many times. I think DC is totally meaningless.
    The only advantage is that your pet can taunt if I got this right.
    Then DC 0.5sec longer casting time if you speccar VB + do less damage. See absolutely no advantage to DC. Perhaps more in the endgame & long boss fights where you can stack up to 5 then

Soulwalker

I think it's going to depend on which pet you use. Revenants can swallow a 5 stack of Deathly Calling in one go. The others don't take them off as fast.

Soulwalker

Pet as tank: One plague bolt, maybe two (you'll need to test this) to start off. Then other spells and void.
    Pet as xtra dps: just void bolts
    pet in pvp: havent' tried that yet.

Soulwalker

I just did a quick test, firing each spell until I went out of mana, no potions or Sacrifice Life

With the talent Deadly Plague and without Improved Void Bolt, my Plague Bolt was higher damage, even though I crit 40% more on my Void Bolt trial and got a lot more Opportunity procs.

Plague Bolt will hit harder and crit harder, especially once you have Deathly Calling stacked up to 5 (25% more damage), but Void Bolt is about 25% faster when talented. Remember that Opportunity is more useful the longer the cast time of the spell, and while Grave Rot will stack Deathly Calling, it's never fast enough to get your pets abilities to their max bonus by itself, especially with the Revenant out.

I personally use Plague Bolt, I haven't been able to see how well it stacks up in a raid.
    If Archon's 15% haste buffs reduce the GCD of casted spells then Void Bolt might hold up, but I'll need to test further.

Neither imo. Grave Rot ftw. I only use my necrolock for pve and instance trash aoe. Its pyro or chloro for bosses and pvp. My rotation is essense link (non talented but healing is healing) ,looming demise (boosts pet), necrosis, dark touch, nedaras grasp, spread dots (cant mind talent name), grave rot (much better than pb), devouring shadows, life leach,soul purge, and repeat, no time for void bolts and plague bolt is pointless.
    Last edited by Locutus; 03-19-2011 at 05:54 AM.

According to someone most likely smarter than me, VB has one of the best coefficient to cast time ratio of any spell available to any spec of mage. PB is apparently the absolute worst. The information provided was from about 4 weeks ago so it seems pretty current. There is a chance that it's outdated though so I won't try to use this as 100% proof-positive. Here's the link:

http://keenandgraev.com/forums/index.php?topic=3480.0

Rift Disciple

I don't really know which is best and to lazy to really look that deep into it, I just alternate the two, hopefully that evens it out a bit <g>

Soulwalker

I use Grave Rot to stack up Deathly Calling.

Void bolt, ignore DC (and also Life Leech, Dark Touch, waste of GCDs).

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtori View Post
    I just did a quick test, firing each spell until I went out of mana, no potions or Sacrifice Life

With the talent Deadly Plague and without Improved Void Bolt, my Plague Bolt was higher damage, even though I crit 40% more on my Void Bolt trial and got a lot more Opportunity procs.

Plague Bolt will hit harder and crit harder, especially once you have Deathly Calling stacked up to 5 (25% more damage), but Void Bolt is about 25% faster when talented. Remember that Opportunity is more useful the longer the cast time of the spell, and while Grave Rot will stack Deathly Calling, it's never fast enough to get your pets abilities to their max bonus by itself, especially with the Revenant out.

I personally use Plague Bolt, I haven't been able to see how well it stacks up in a raid.
    If Archon's 15% haste buffs reduce the GCD of casted spells then Void Bolt might hold up, but I'll need to test further.
    something is wrong. void bolt should be hitting almost twice as hard .5 seconds faster.

void bolt has higher base damage and is getting 40% of your spell power in damage. plague bolt is only getting 24%. it's a horrible, horrible spell. one of the worst.

void bolt spam also gets you charge much faster for soul purge, which does more even more dps than void bolt.
    Last edited by zeroburrito; 03-19-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Rift Disciple

Do void Bolt but on opportunity procs click plague bolt. Nuff said. Or just grab grave rot and use that to gain stacks.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    something is wrong. void bolt should be hitting almost twice as hard .5 seconds faster.

void bolt has higher base damage and is getting 40% of your spell power in damage. plague bolt is only getting 24%. it's a horrible, horrible spell. one of the worst.

void bolt spam also gets you charge much faster for soul purge, which does more even more dps than void bolt.
    I only have 632 spellpower, haven't really started experts much, but here's what I'm seeing.

Void Bolt
    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/voidpet1.jpg

Void Bolt with Grave Rot for DC
    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...en/voidrot.jpg

Void Bolt with Lich Form and Sacrifice Life: Damage
    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...dcooldowns.jpg

vs.

Plague Bolt
    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...plaguepet1.jpg

Plague Bolt with cooldowns
    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...ecooldowns.jpg

You have an interesting point with Charge and Soul Purge, I will try speccing Imp Void Bolt and seeing how that compares tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ishtori; 03-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Thumbs down

Umm , I guess I am the only 51 spec NEC in game ?! Why r all people given up the end game ability ?! For te so-called dps ?! I am sure I deal more dmg than any hybrid build -.-

God . I m sick of the dps stuff , and given up all those end game ability? Wheres the fun ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast