+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is life leech worth speccing for?

Default Is life leech worth speccing for?

90% of people's opinions on the warlock spell life leech are that it's the worst DoT in the game. All warlock builds I have tried have no included the improved life leech talents. I'm about to respec hopefully for the last time until I hit 50, and I need to know for sure if this talent is worth dumping 3 points into or not.

General of Telara

no

the life coming from it doesnt justify the casting time. If it would spread on everyone i could say yes but you need to single cast it on everyone and it totally suck

I would say no also.
    I have it in my spec atm but I'll probably be removing it once I respec.
    I just haven't decided where the points would be best invested yet.

The 2 main issues I have with the skill are the 1.5 sec cast time ( wouldn't be so bad if it was instant like some of the other dot's)
    And the amount of points needed to maximise it's efficiency.

For PvE it's the highest dps dot the warlock has to offer and the only one that doesn't require refreshing (well, it does require you to void bolt once every duration, but that's still added damage instead of just a recast). Also, 1.5 second cast = 1.5 second gcd when it comes to PvE.

Pretty much what Schmicks said, it is the highest DPS DoT and refreshes when a Void Bolt lands.

Here's a parse I did earlier

http://img222.imageshack.us/i/dpsparse.jpg/

Shadowlander

Depending on the boss fight it would be the highest DPC ability you have since you cast it once at the start and it will tick till the boss is dead. Would be hard pressed to find a better investment for 5 points in the grand scheme of things.

Ascendant

It's pretty amazing actually. Each time you reapply it through lingering pain (1.5s) it forces it to tick an additional time.

Telaran

Exactly.
    Casttime of 1.5 seconds? Meh, instant dots trigger a GCD of 1.5 seconds, so the next spell starts at exactly the same time.
    Low dot? Actually Dark Touch is worse from the damage per tick. And it needs to be refreshed every 16 seconds, LL doesn't.

I did some calculating yesterday and for me, once a fight lasts longer than 8 seconds LL was worth it over a Void Bolt in its place. If you kill stuff so quick that you only get 2 or 3 ticks out of it, don't bother with it.
    If you just Dark Touch, Neddra's Grasp, Radiate Death and then AoE 5 mobs at the same time with Devouring Shadows, don't bother with it.
    In PvP, it depends. If you need to stay mobile, don't bother with it. If you just nuke on the focus target that dies in 3 seconds, its not worth it. If you can apply it from behind the lines and then nuke with VB, it adds some DPS to it, increasing the "burst effect" of VB a bit, making it maybe a bit harder to heal. As I said, in PvP up to you.

For boss fights and elites in general its a must have skill.

And yes, as was said, each time you refresh it, it gives an instant tick. So if all you do is spam void bolt, your life leech will actually tick with 1.5 frequency instead of 2 seconds, for the same damage per tick, increasing its damage by another 25%.

Shield of Telara

its worth it, when trying to aoe grind, plus it heals you, only bads will say its not worth it, do you really need that 6% hp?

+ Reply to Thread