+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Archon? What for?

Default Archon? What for?

So Im playing a mage ATM (too many rogues around). I hit lvl 32 now, which is enough to get to know one soul and experimenting around.
    So far and for leveling I ve been a necro/warlock. For PvP I tried out the Dominator and loved it (they never see me coming ). In some instances I went chloro. That lead me to the archon soul and im confused. What does it do? Nobody wants me in the instance group as an Archon. In PvP im just dead. Am I missing something?

Ascendant

archons give pyros unlimited mana.

and make everyone else around them look good.

i think its good with chloro as a pure support setup but dont quote me on that.

Shadowlander

Yes, its not really a strong main spec, but its a straight up support class.

A raid should have 1 of these atleast. Don't expect to DPS as it though.

Rift Disciple

Archon is a pure buff/debuff raid role. It is ok in 5 mans but is better the more people are in the group. It is capable of pretty decent dps, but the buffs and debuffs are king. Archon comes into its own at level 50 with burning purpose. Specing deep archon isn't worthwhile until 50.

Archon is not a PVP soul at all, not even as a sub-soul.

Telaran

As said, it's very good support.

The only reason someone shouldn't want you as archon in PVE should be if they already have a bard. Even then I'd argue that there's enough that doesn't get overwritten to make it more worthwhile than another pure dps.

Archon gets better later on. More importantly, at level 50, tbh. The more people there are to cover up for your lack of DPS, the more worth it you'll be.

Archon subsoul on Pyro is sexy, though. But pre-50, PvE or PvP, Archon isn't all that hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0ne View Post
    This thread screams, " I'm glad healing is getting nerfed..now please dont quit healing us."

Sword of Telara

yeah with my archon it's either a sub soul (increase fire damage and crits give mana) or it's a few more points in with chloro as main.

As others have said it's not a soul to really focus in until much higher. (I'd argue before 50, but that's just me)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Furienify View Post
    Archon subsoul on Pyro is sexy, though. But pre-50, PvE or PvP, Archon isn't all that hot.
    On what sort of build? I've recently been trying to fill out my roles. I'm standard necro/lock/dom and I actually really love the build. I like DoTs. But in general, I was trying to figure out a good DPS build for raid/instance and in that light I began looking at pyro/archon. I thought maybe I made a mistake by not taking lock as the secondary and still haven't had a lot of time to really work with the pyro build. But do you run with a pyro/arch build? What are some of the necessary talents in your opinion with the build?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by maxvla View Post
    Archon is a pure buff/debuff raid role. It is ok in 5 mans but is better the more people are in the group. It is capable of pretty decent dps, but the buffs and debuffs are king. Archon comes into its own at level 50 with burning purpose. Specing deep archon isn't worthwhile until 50.

Archon is not a PVP soul at all, not even as a sub-soul.
    Its like one of the best pvp souls. using pillaging stone with ice carapace. makes it ultimate it is the most damaging combo. only a pyro can beat it or a fully doted warlock target.
    also it has inf mana i mean you can never ever run out. fo any class that is a WIN

Telaran

with archon you either go all in or half. because archons buff aura's can give some good extra damage and decrease cooldowns. so for the likes of a fire ball u can get it down to like 1.4 second cast something like that. or go elemental for ice carapace.

Soulwalker

I use it as my 0pt soul in place of Dom in instances. A squirrel that gets hit instantly by other players' spam is useless, but the stat boosts you get from the Archon DoTs are defiantly not.

When I leave the instance I just switch back to Dom (0)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Quinburger View Post
    As said, it's very good support.

The only reason someone shouldn't want you as archon in PVE should be if they already have a bard. Even then I'd argue that there's enough that doesn't get overwritten to make it more worthwhile than another pure dps.
    True in 5 mans, but not in raids. You'll use both archon and bard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamathor View Post
    Yes, its not really a strong main spec, but its a straight up support class.

A raid should have 1 of these at least. Don't expect to DPS as it though.
    I disagree, out of all the specs I've tried, I've hit around 500-750 dps on boss fights with it, while other spec, I've only hit around 500 max. I have more gear now, though, and I didn't try necro/lock, but Archon is definitely a nice DPS soul once you know how to play it.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

51 Archon does good DPS and also brings bard like buffs to the table.

a 34/32 Chloro/Archon spec is also amazing since you can heal like a Chloro and buff almost as good as a full Archon. Also does around 250-300 DPS.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zo.hMeoRf0Rkrz

One per 20 man PvE raid. That's what they're for atm. That's why they keep getting nerfed, because they're balanced around the single thing they're good at. And they were weak outside of their one use before, the nerfs have since made them useless.

Terrible design on this class.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast