+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage setup! Help

Soulwalker

Exclamation Mage setup! Help

hey! Right now i'm rolling pyromancer, good for dps, and necromancer, pets which i use as tanks, now.. I'm going to choose my third right now , but dont know which to choose , anyone have some good ideas?

I havent use pyro much, but I would grab chloro or dom. It's easy an cheap to fix if you dont like it
    Last edited by Bronzebeard; 03-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.

First off, it would probably receive better results if this was posted in the mage subforum Secondly, I've never really used pyro, but I hear they're not actually that good for much at the starting levels. If you're going for a good levelling build, I would go Warlock/Necro/Chloro or Warlock/Necro/Dom. Warlock and Necro work well together, and Chloro/Dom have useful 0-point abilities (read: don't spec into them). Dom's 0-point can turn an enemy into a squirrel for 30 seconds, whereas Chloro's 0-point buff gives you a chance of receiving 100% of your damage in healing.

Soulwalker

well, right now i'm necro and pyro ... what should i do? Warlock or dominator maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by allymos View Post
    well, right now i'm necro and pyro ... what should i do? Warlock or dominator maybe?
    Warlock/Necro are pretty pretty awesome for leveling. You can solo minor rifts and small invasions. I am only like 25 or so, but I have been putting everything in Necro, offpoints into warlock and using a 0 point chloro or dom soul.

Soulwalker

I run mage (43) with
    Chloro/Archon/Dom - 0 points (all 3 get interesting little spells)
    Warlock - 26 (I believe, can't login atm, problem n have to redownload, why I came here LOL)
    Necro - 31.

The reason Necro/Lock sync so well is because both get dots, both do death dmg and both make you want to sing "Don't Fear the Reaper" as you waltz through stuff.

Heres a link to a build I just stuck together because until I am 50 and tinker around with my build nothing is set in stone for any reason unless I deeply love the skill (Lich form isnt all THAT great imo >_> but it does help kick the damage up ^^).

The reasoning behind 32 in Lock is obviously Choke....Silence is golden...specially your enemies

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qVck.xkftAzkzo

And because you asked about Pyro...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....ebthzusuto.bs

Honestly Pyro is worthless solo (In my own opinion). Ya, you can dish out tons of single target damage....but you cannot sustain it or fight through a lot of adds, sooner or later you will die or run out of mana.

I have a Pyro build for myself and it varies largely to this one but thats because I took Lock for the life tap mana conversion skill because I only run it in parties so I can snag a heal or two whenever I really need mana.

Also if you DO play Pyro you will not even BOTHER with almost ANY OTHER skill that uses Charge besides your Smoldering Power because it is pretty much what sustains you. You can switch out Dom for Lock and get the basic line 5pt skill for more charge on your spells and just always have Smoldering Power running unless its a combat use with 1minute cooldown and the only time you will run into a fight that lasts that long is in a group with a healer. So hit yourself for mana if needed and warn the healer before hand.

Honestly I have never used the Archon soul outside of 0pointer for the endurance buff the first dot gets or the +fire dmg tree passive so its mana regen capacity is lost on me. However after reading it a TON and even realizing I need to rebuild my Chloromancer support build because of Archon being good I still have yet to test it.

Well theres some information for you and if any of it does not make sense. Give it a try and it might click then. If what I said doesnt make sense. Hell thats normal for me

Rift Disciple

Hah, I love all the people telling this guy to go lock. Poor guy wants to play a pyro.

Soulwalker

Bah! Cant edit after 5minutes is stupid!

Anyways, money gets easier as you level...A LOT easier. So do not fear making a bad build, just respec.

Personally I would get a 2nd role before respeccing just to tinker in that area. It gives you two builds. You can make a Lock/Necro quest roller which also functions awesomely in a dungeon settings and pvp (I play patch healer with mine on tough bosses cause me n my buddies 3/4man almost everything to date >_> Small guilds be awesome XD)

hey! Right now i'm rolling pyromancer, good for dps, and necromancer, pets which i use as tanks, now.. I'm going to choose my third right now , but dont know which to choose , anyone have some good ideas?
    Is it for LVL/PVE or PVP
    No Illegals -> NO BURRITOS!! THINK TWICE BRO!

I really don't think Pyro is worth it at all until you can drop 51 pts in it. I re-spec'd last night to Chloro and what a difference it has made for my team in WF's. I'm actually winning matches now after going like 5-200 win/loss as defiant.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

Quote Originally Posted by lol u mad? View Post
    I really don't think Pyro is worth it at all until you can drop 51 pts in it. I re-spec'd last night to Chloro and what a difference it has made for my team in WF's. I'm actually winning matches now after going like 5-200 win/loss as defiant.
    51 points in pyro = total waste

if u want to have fun and see some big (and useless) crits go for it

but it's just useless

try 32 or 38 pyro and get another soul that u "like"
    No Illegals -> NO BURRITOS!! THINK TWICE BRO!

Telaran

man no one even answering your question. sorry all mages are obsessed with warlock and chloro.
    your build will work just a tip tho spec into necro the most.
    a thirst soul would prob have to be dominator just incase u pull to much aggro CC them.
    you should never run out of mana so you should have a great build going.
    another tip Get Soul Purge in necro tree. go the tank pets to.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Disregard View Post
    I run mage (43) with
    Chloro/Archon/Dom - 0 points (all 3 get interesting little spells)
    Warlock - 26 (I believe, can't login atm, problem n have to redownload, why I came here LOL)
    Necro - 31.

The reason Necro/Lock sync so well is because both get dots, both do death dmg and both make you want to sing "Don't Fear the Reaper" as you waltz through stuff.

Heres a link to a build I just stuck together because until I am 50 and tinker around with my build nothing is set in stone for any reason unless I deeply love the skill (Lich form isnt all THAT great imo >_> but it does help kick the damage up ^^).

The reasoning behind 32 in Lock is obviously Choke....Silence is golden...specially your enemies

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...qVck.xkftAzkzo

And because you asked about Pyro...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z....ebthzusuto.bs

Honestly Pyro is worthless solo (In my own opinion). Ya, you can dish out tons of single target damage....but you cannot sustain it or fight through a lot of adds, sooner or later you will die or run out of mana.

I have a Pyro build for myself and it varies largely to this one but thats because I took Lock for the life tap mana conversion skill because I only run it in parties so I can snag a heal or two whenever I really need mana.

Also if you DO play Pyro you will not even BOTHER with almost ANY OTHER skill that uses Charge besides your Smoldering Power because it is pretty much what sustains you. You can switch out Dom for Lock and get the basic line 5pt skill for more charge on your spells and just always have Smoldering Power running unless its a combat use with 1minute cooldown and the only time you will run into a fight that lasts that long is in a group with a healer. So hit yourself for mana if needed and warn the healer before hand.

Honestly I have never used the Archon soul outside of 0pointer for the endurance buff the first dot gets or the +fire dmg tree passive so its mana regen capacity is lost on me. However after reading it a TON and even realizing I need to rebuild my Chloromancer support build because of Archon being good I still have yet to test it.

Well theres some information for you and if any of it does not make sense. Give it a try and it might click then. If what I said doesnt make sense. Hell thats normal for me
    You did get the 15% on the fire ball you so should.

Plane Touched

Honestly, I almost always take Dom as the third soul. I never really plan to put points into it, however. But the zero point Dom soul gives you squirrel which is very handy. Plus neural pod which is maybe ok. It's an instant and I use it a lot at the end of soul purge (but that's necro) if there is a bit of life left on the mob.

Chlro is also a good choice because again at zero points in the soul you get a useful spell

+ Reply to Thread