+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Omg, My LvL 15 Mage soloed a Rift.....

Plane Touched

Default Omg, My LvL 15 Mage soloed a Rift.....

After all the comments about how bad mages are I spent alot of time to study the builds and spells to come up with a rotation that I thought would work. I didn't really have much confidence that it would work, having come to the conclusion that Mages could not fight their way our of a paper bag, and if you blew to hard they would fall down.
    But I was able to get it done. Mind you it took time, and I had to be careful not to pull more than 1 mob at a time but it did work.
    Now I'm not saying that Mages are OK, they do need work. But it is not the doom & gloom that alot of people are screaming about.
    I have played classes in other games that could only wear cloth, and as a rule they are harder to play, you have to be cautious and take it slow. But remember you are only wearing cloth, not battle armor.

my .02 worth...

Honestly, I've done it many times as I'm sure many have as well. They are designed that way. Well the minor ones at least. I have seen others solo major rifts, which was fun to watch. However, it would be near impossible to get to the bonus stages without a few others.

As long you are smart and pay attention, mage is fun.
    I love to splash around in these tear-flooded boards. It's so much fun!!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
    After all the comments about how bad mages are I spent alot of time to study the builds and spells to come up with a rotation that I thought would work. I didn't really have much confidence that it would work, having come to the conclusion that Mages could not fight their way our of a paper bag, and if you blew to hard they would fall down.
    But I was able to get it done. Mind you it took time, and I had to be careful not to pull more than 1 mob at a time but it did work.
    Now I'm not saying that Mages are OK, they do need work. But it is not the doom & gloom that alot of people are screaming about.
    I have played classes in other games that could only wear cloth, and as a rule they are harder to play, you have to be cautious and take it slow. But remember you are only wearing cloth, not battle armor.

my .02 worth...
    Seeing as how your Lvl 15... I would put my flame ******ent suit on now....
    Ren

Mage is fun anyways.
    The only thing that they are less capable then other callings.
    Yes we can do much but we put a lot more effort into this.

And there is absolutely no reason talking about your experience until reaching high levels. Game experience changes drastically during leveling.
    You should give the power to one who doesn't want to use it
    Arm Dearg (Zaviel) Mage class leader
    GSB 5/5 RoS 5/5 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 11/11 RotP 4/4 ID 8/8 PF 4/4
    FT 4/4 EE 5/5 GA 4/4 IG 3/3 PB 4/5
    Wizards till we die!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifyer View Post
    And there is absolutely no reason talking about your experience until reaching high levels.
    Except for the fact that not everyone PLs to 50. I like hearing peoples experiences at different levels, not just @ 50.

Thank you OP for posting your experience. It is heartening to hear that you could do that at lvl 15.

Ignore the elitists and keep posting your experiences as you level!
    The Forgotten

Best post ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skjoldur View Post
    You don't just drink coffee......you caress it with your tongue, you feel the warm sweetness on your lips, you taste every soft silky drop and let your mouth savor that warm creamy sweet fluid until you can't hold back anymore and swallow.

Is it hot in here or is it just me?

Soulwalker

My friend has a 50 Mage on Reclaimer and currently dominates a large majority of the time he pvps, the reason behind this is positioning, awareness of your surroundings and well an ability to play under pressure. This game is CC heavy, just like DAoC was so it's nothing out of the ordinary for some of us however I am seeing a ton of people in bg's doing the "i'm under attack jump for victory and spam instants because i'm an idiot" maneuver. I had never seen people do this up until WoW, makes sense...

I'm a healer, this "tactic" is very annoying and it lets me know who's worth healing and who isn't.

Root/Snare/Kite/Run I don't care what you need to do, find a new spot and get back to nuking, if you can't get away, stand still and nuke while I heal you.. All you do by jumping around like an idiot is hurt your output and let them get hits to your back.

They need a tutorial for PvP I think.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes View Post
    Honestly, I've done it many times as I'm sure many have as well.
    Minor rifts are soloable by anyone. If you were able to survive getting to the 5th stage with the elite boss, in that's more impressive. I can normally unlock the 4th stage but can't do it quick enough without dying. This may change with gear now I'm 50, but I noticed I could do this in my 30s. Wish I had sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Whadduputcha View Post
    My friend has a 50 Mage on Reclaimer and currently dominates a large majority of the time he pvps, the reason behind this is positioning, awareness of your surroundings and well an ability to play under pressure. This game is CC heavy, just like DAoC was so it's nothing out of the ordinary for some of us however I am seeing a ton of people in bg's doing the "i'm under attack jump for victory and spam instants because i'm an idiot" maneuver. I had never seen people do this up until WoW, makes sense...

I'm a healer, this "tactic" is very annoying and it lets me know who's worth healing and who isn't.

Root/Snare/Kite/Run I don't care what you need to do, find a new spot and get back to nuking, if you can't get away, stand still and nuke while I heal you.. All you do by jumping around like an idiot is hurt your output and let them get hits to your back.

Do you know why some people jump? It's because it is becoming well known that if your CC'd (Stunned/Mezzed whatever) in mid-air, you take ZERO damage. Don't assume people are jumping around just cos it looks cool (or to annoy you), there is some method in peoples madness.
    Last edited by Osmosis; 03-18-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Whadduputcha View Post

Not to mention, wth does this have to do with this post? Are you trying to make a point about the original post or are you just seriously confused?

They need a tutorial for Forums I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post
    Do you know why some people jump? It's because it is becoming well known that if your CC'd (Stunned/Mezzed whatever) in mid-air, you take ZERO damage. Don't assume people are jumping around just cos it looks cool (or to annoy you), there is some method in peoples madness.
    well i jump baiscaly cause i'm kinda ******ed, it's some automatic thing Oo i'm searious

but theres 2 things. yes u are right but in the other hand, some ppl will get them selfs Bugged and will fell under the ground or will be "jailed" inside some nearest Object like a pilar.

Anyway, for lvling mages are fine. i was able to do a lot of solo-rifts while i lvled. still did a nice job soloing some major rifts
    Last edited by RamasSokehur; 03-18-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    No Illegals -> NO BURRITOS!! THINK TWICE BRO!

Ascendant

Past 40 mages feel pretty underpowered, but prior to that i felt like a god among men because our damage scaling is pretty bad, but our damage starts high, so we deal "extreme" damage in the lower brackets(cinder blast hits hard, really hard, but so does titan strike, which shows up later) while everyone has less hp.

now at 50? seems like everything im hitting crits me back harder than i hit them for(at least relatively speaking, because a 1500 crit on me with 4-5k hp is not the same as a 1500 crit on a 6-8k hp anything not a mage), and they dont have cast times holding them back.
    Last edited by Caldern; 03-18-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Champion of Telara

I've soloed plenty on domination and on a chloro.

Has nothing to do with how good they are in pvp when confronted by other players.
    TL;DR
    Switching to a different profession is no different than starting a new role at 50, Easily learned. Might as well start at Rank 1 PvP on PvP servers.

Also, the tab targeting needs to be fixed with two things.
    1.) It has no real selected cycle through the enemies in los, it goes randomly through them, it also prioritizes pets.
    2.)It will sometimes tab through, say, 2 pets 6 times (meaning three rotations for two pets) while enemies that are players are in los, it will do this for player targets too (targeting is random with no kind of tab rythm/cycle/order to go through almost full teams of enemies in los). Give players numbers before their names depending on where they are located at in their raid, and let all people know and see these numbers, and tab cycles through those numbers in order to all enemies in range. Then pets if no players are in range.
    3.)I also think minor obstructions that shouldn't, do play a role in who you can tab target, which adds up with the previous problems making it become complicated to target at times.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ght=imageshack

Thank you for pretty much fixing the nearest target button, it's noticeable.

Rift Disciple

it becomes harder around lvl 30 when your pet cant hold aggro fo' crap (and dies after a half dozen hits) and you got a 27 elite who popped up and just wtf pwned your pet and now you are toast bc the elite is immune to cc.

+ Reply to Thread