+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DPS and DPCT data for PvE Warlock/Necro spec

Champion

Default DPS and DPCT data for PvE Warlock/Necro spec

(If you want to complain about Lock/Necro being the only viable PvE spec, or how mages suck while leveling, or how they suck in PvP, do it in another thread. This is to help those of us who care about maximizing our PvE potential, mostly in raid scenarios.)

Got bored tonight and decided to hit up the practice dummies to try and figure out what my spell priorities should be for raiding. This data was taken using 898 spell power and the typical 35 Lock/31 Necro spec. It ignores critical hit damage and does not factor in crucial factors like which spells increase your pet damage, etc. Try not to pay too much attention to the actual damage or DPS numbers themselves, but to how they compare to each other, and especially to how they compare to Void Bolt since that is your main "filler" spell.

(DPCT stands for damage per cast time, and is usually the most important number you want to figure out. The global cooldown is 1.5 seconds, and that is used as the lowest cast time for any spell.)

Life Leech
    DoT Tick - 114
    # of Ticks - 7
    Total dmg - 798
    Duration - 12s
    DPS - 66.5 for one application, or 57 if being auto-refreshed
    DPCT - 532

Necrosis
    DoT Tick - 83
    # of Ticks - 10
    Total dmg - 830
    Duration - 18s
    DPS - 46.11
    DPCT - 553.33

Dark Touch
    DoT Tick - 95
    # of Ticks - 9
    Total dmg - 855
    Duration - 16s
    DPS - 53.48
    DPCT - 570

Searing Vitality
    DoT Tick - 64
    # of Ticks - 11
    Total dmg - 704
    Duration - 10s
    DPS - 70.4
    DPCT - 469.33

Draining Bolt
    Dmg - 626
    DPS - 417.33
    DPCT - 417.33

Void Bolt
    Dmg - 573
    DPS - 382
    DPCT - 382

Soul Purge
    DoT Tick - 436
    # of Ticks - 8
    Total dmg - 3488
    Duration - 8s
    DPS - 436
    DPCT - 436

Neddra's Torture (ignoring 3% magic dmg bonus to other spells)
    DoT Tick - 482
    # of Ticks - 1
    Total dmg - 482
    Duration - 20s
    DPS - 24.1
    DPCT - 321.33

Neddra's Grasp (assuming all 5 ticks go off in 10 seconds, dodges/parries can stop a tick tho)
    DoT Tick - 144
    # of Ticks - 5
    Total dmg - 720
    Duration - 10s
    DPS - 72
    DPCT - 480

Grave Rot
    DoT Tick - 150
    # of Ticks - 4
    Total dmg - 600
    Duration - 6s
    DPS - 100
    DPCT - 400

Devouring Shadows
    DoT Tick - 480
    # of Ticks - 4
    Total dmg - 1920
    Duration - 6s
    DPS - 320
    DPCT - 320

(You can sort of abuse Devouring Shadows by recasting it every 2.0 seconds (or 0.5 seconds after the GCD finishes), directly following the second tick of the previous cast. We'll use 2.1 seconds for this since you can't do 2.0 exactly. Keep in mind this is very mana-intensive.)

Devouring Shadows (spammed)
    DoT Tick - 480
    # of Ticks - 2
    Total dmg - 960
    Duration - 2.1s
    DPS - 457.14
    DPCT - 457.14

Dark Fury
    Dmg - 410
    DPS - 273.33
    DPCT - 273.33

Pillaging Stone (not counting int bonus to itself or other spells)
    Dmg - 572.5
    DPS - 286.25
    DPCT - 286.25

I'm not going to spell out the exact spell rotation you should be using going off this data, since people should learn to think for themselves when it comes to this kind of stuff, and some of it is somewhat situational. I wanted to share this though since I've gotten kind of tired of seeing people use Archon as their 3rd empty soul, or saying certain spells are useless, etc.

If you absolutely refuse to use Searing Vitality/Pillaging Stone, then I imagine a 30 Lock/31 Necro/5 Ele spec would be more DPS overall (be about a 2.5% damage increase on all spells instead of a 3% dmg increase on just DoTs). It may even be able to beat out proper use of Searing Vitality/Pillaging Stone, I'm not really sure.

If you're interested in this kind of theorycrafting data I also made a small spreadsheet to help mages figure out if certain items are an upgrade/downgrade/sidegrade, it can be found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ng-spreadsheet

Feedback is welcome, but unfortunately I won't be able to edit my original post due to stupid forum rules, so check for any replies by me if I need to correct or update something.

Champion

Also since I mentioned the 30 Lock/31 Necro/5 Ele spec I've been thinking about it some more. Using some VERY rough theorycrafting, every 10 seconds or so using 1 Searing Vitality over 1 Void Bolt gives an 87.33 damage bonus. Let's say 12 seconds since it's usually not reapplied straight away, that'd be about a 7.28 DPS boost overall. If you're doing around 500 non-pet DPS, the 5% crit would give around 12.5 DPS. However losing the 3% dmg on DoTs would probably outweigh that small gain.

Just some stuff to think about. ;P

This is actually very useful, thanks for being bored one day and coming up with these numbers. It seems as though I want to get searing vitality and spam this and grave rot and almost never cast void bolt if possible.(except maybe to refresh life leech).

Actally that would be an interesting comparison, in a 5 min+ fight, if you never casted void bolt to refresh life leech and instead used grave rot, searing vitality and soul purge as fillers would you end up with more dps?

Champion

Searing Vitality is a DoT just like the others so it can't be "spammed", but you are correct in saying that Searing Vit/Soul Purge/Grave Rot should all be used over Void Bolt when possible. Even adding those to the rotation there will be times when you need to cast Void Bolt some to build up your charge, and casting a Void Bolt as late as possible to refresh Life Leech will be more DPS than anything else as well.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    since I've gotten kind of tired of seeing people use Archon as their 3rd empty soul
    Also I meant to say Dominator here, whoops

Telaran

Wouldn't mind seeing numbers for defile. I'm running a 12 necro, 38 lock, 16 dom setup atm on one role while i would like soul purge, defile is fire and forget and allows me to do other things like void bolt spam or dom abilities and you do gain charge during defile otherwise it wouldn't last it's duration and with lock charge bonus you can keep it up constantly if you are always attacking with charge generating abilities. Maybe a haunting pain check too as that is a death dot that stacks 10 times if they don't move good for caster and ranger mobs.

Soulwalker

Wow..... great job man.

Will 100% influence my rotation/priorities on spells

Bumping this for visibility, sad that 90% of the downs in this forum completely ignored it because its above their level of understanding.

Good work.

Great post, thanks for taking the time! I'm itching to get to 50 so I can parse a bunch of different mage builds, but I'm living on number crunching until then!
    --Quinalla, Mage of TOSH on Reclaimer

Thank you for taking the time to work the breakdown on these spells, your efforts are not going unnoticed or unappreciated. You validated many of my findings, and helped me reconsider some things.
    One by one... they take aim at themselves and fire. This is like letting your opponent beat themselves...

Default Thanks

This is great

Soulwalker

Default asdf

have you done any parsing of which pet is better dps? I know in general it is considered the zealot is the best dps, but if you talent up the mage pet would it be better for the aoe damage on trash mobs, and for staying out of range of aoe/cleave damage of bosses?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Renix01 View Post
    have you done any parsing of which pet is better dps? I know in general it is considered the zealot is the best dps, but if you talent up the mage pet would it be better for the aoe damage on trash mobs, and for staying out of range of aoe/cleave damage of bosses?
    In any case where the pet is guaranteed to die the mage pet would certainly out dps the zealot

Shadowlander

exactly what ive been after, thanks :-)

+ Reply to Thread