+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mages need a leveling spec that is pvp-capable

Default Mages need a leveling spec that is pvp-capable

The only soul combo I can pvp with any success with is pyro/dom/archmage. I use different builds for leveling, none of which stand a chance against anyone in pvp. I play on a pvp server because I like the distraction from leveling when you and someone else keep battling 1v1, or when the two factions have a mini-war out of nowhere, but I just get ganked and ganked and ganked and ganked and ganked.

I'm level 40 right now and I was leveling as sc/ele/lock. I saw a level 37 assassin rogue near me and wanted to see how THIS build does as a leveling/pvp-capable build. I got my 75% slow on him and 3 stacks of electrified and hit him with cloudburst a few times. I only got him to about 80% by this time, so he vanished, and guess what he did next? Stunned me from 100% to 20%. At that, I threw in the towel for the day and decided to cross my fingers for some sort of change to mages tomorrow.

Shield of Telara

necrolock is what you need

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by sakkath View Post
    necrolock is what you need
    /agreed =)

Quote Originally Posted by Rans View Post
    /agreed =)
    I've been necro/lock on and off since I've been leveling my mage. It's hands down one of the best leveling specs in the game but I would still get ganked all the time because you don't have any control. Basically it's a good spec and the closest I'm gonna get to what I'm asking for, but it still isn't cutting it .

or not play ur mage because there total **** atm and most people dont want them to have a chance in pvp

I'm trading in my 50 Rogue for a mage right now.

After seeing what mages are capable of at end game I felt compelled to reroll one, despite the qq.

I've been leveling as Necro/lock and I found that it was pretty decent in warfronts and duels. You don't have a large amount of control, but it has great damage, debuffing, and great survivability through self healing for you and your pet.

I have a pyro - chloro - warlock, that does very well in both pve and pvp. Right now I'm in the 20-29 bracket and at level 25 I had no problem against any class in the WFs.

The key is wither from lock, being able to slow down melee is really key, and having heals.
    Foxxy [Warrior], Foxy [Mage], Moiraine [Cleric]
    <Silent Epidemic> Estrael-Defiant. 100% Vent Free Guild.
    Web Site | Recruitment Thread

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by GreenChaos View Post
    I have a pyro - chloro - warlock, that does very well in both pve and pvp. Right now I'm in the 20-29 bracket and at level 25 I had no problem against any class in the WFs.

The key is wither from lock, being able to slow down melee is really key, and having heals.
    That specc is nasty horrid to level with. Theres 2 good leveling speccs, Necro and elementalist, not sure if people understand this but the DEFINITION of "Leveling specc" is one with no downtime, aka you never have to drink. With THE necro/lock leveling build you are literally just a toy for warriors and rogues to slaughter at there leisure. Quality mages pvp with Dominator, and questing with that is just as bad as the trash specc you just listed. No offense...

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ImAwake View Post

After seeing what mages are capable of at end game I felt compelled to reroll one, despite the qq.

I've been leveling as Necro/lock and I found that it was pretty decent in warfronts and duels. You don't have a large amount of control, but it has great damage, debuffing, and great survivability through self healing for you and your pet.
    You must not have had a warrior smash into you with his herp and derp buttons yet. and a stealth Sabo? forget about it. DOminator with instant sheep or your toast, necro is for PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAwake View Post

Im doign the same haha, got my rogue to 50, and am now lvling a mage up. people QQ about how bad mages are, but do they honestly think its going to stay this way? This is a MMO, things change.
    Looking to buy Rift, or another PC game? Direct2drive is having a Refer a Friend program where you can get 15% off your order. Click the link and you will get a code, just use the code in the "Promotion Code" slot during checkout.
    http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/gCG0c

Soulwalker

No. There is no need for one spec to be good at two roles. You have te option of using 4 different specs on every toon. Use one set for PvP another for PvE. It only costs a few gold.

Champion

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...uzaqxo.xtczmzo

This is an amazing PvE+PvP spec for a level 40. Nothing should really be able to kill you solo if you play it right, Neddra's Essence and Shadow Life are amazing. Spend your next 2-3 points in Imp Dark Fury if you feel you need the stun for PvP.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Jackofall View Post
    No. There is no need for one spec to be good at two roles. You have te option of using 4 different specs on every toon. Use one set for PvP another for PvE. It only costs a few gold.
    Warriors can level champion and also kill every player they see with 2 buttons. For a mage a "leveling specc" that is maximum convienence with no down time is garbage for pvp, and a mage pvp specc is miserable to quest with. Theres definately a double standard, and only if something like Plague Bolt has a 100% chance to stun, and necrosis was an instant 80% snare naturally built into those spells like they are for warriors would it be fair or even.

Necro/Lock/Dom or Necro/Chloro/Dom or once you are around 40 and put 44 points into Pyromancer then Pyro/Chloro/Archon.
    Sebesto - Deepstrike
    If you choose to play on a PvP server, itís our assumption that you not only donít mind that level of interruption from that PvP attack-and-defense style of gameplay, but are actively excited about taking part in it. If you want uninterrupted PvE questing, choosing a PvE server is definitely recommended. - The RIFT Development Team

Soulwalker

I know nothing about the warriors builds, so I accept what you say as the truth. I still do not agree. Only because class A can level and PvP with the same build it is not valid to expect the same for class B.

There is a good function that allow us to change roles. Use that instead of screwing around the talent trees to get one size fits all. That is bad design IMHO. I'd rather have two talent trees that allow for good PvP, two-three trees that support good PvE leveling/end game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast