+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Discussion) Is it possible for every soul to be viable?

Rift Chaser

Default (Discussion) Is it possible for every soul to be viable?

Before you BBQ me, hear me out.

5 offensive, 2 support and 1 healing soul. Each soul operates a little different from the others, utilizing different methods to achieve tasks. DoTs, pets, DD, AoE, etc for damage. So is it possible for every soul to "do everything"?

For example, I muddling through Stormcaller. The slow buildup nature of the soul says to me any burst damage I can achieve will be delayed burst. And it also says to me I'll prolly have a bit of trouble in PvP without other souls to fortify it as it'll be difficult to"decide" the match in the first few seconds. And the large AoE focus i perceive in Stormcaller says the damage I do will be spread over several targets. Or cost me a ton of mana.

The very nature of a Damage Over Time spell essentially eliminates burst ability. DoTs aren't meant to drop slap something with a hammer. They're more like being pressed in a vice.

If the souls are defined by the powers they use, it seems there is an intended role for every soul. If so, wouldn't that mean that the soul's viability is dependant on the circumstances that require that role? Both in PvE and PvP?.

yes, however the problem with mages is the "effectiveness" of these said souls.

as an example lets take a look at nedra's grasp

riftblades have rift surge wich ultimately does the same thing except for the amount of damage dealt.

nedras grasp hits for 1/4 of what rift surge deals.

broken? i think so.

mages? = useless atm

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post
    yes, however the problem with mages is the "effectiveness" of these said souls.

as an example lets take a look at nedra's grasp

riftblades have rift surge wich ultimately does the same thing except for the amount of damage dealt.

nedras grasp hits for 1/4 of what rift surge deals.

broken? i think so.

mages? = useless atm
    I don't know neither riftblade nor warlock(?) So you'll have to help me out here: are both souls the same, except one is melee and one ranged?

You can't take a single ability and compare it to another's ability. Riftblade and warlock(?) May not have the same role, regardless of similarities.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroshio View Post
    I don't know neither riftblade nor warlock(?) So you'll have to help me out here: are both souls the same, except one is melee and one ranged?

You can't take a single ability and compare it to another's ability. Riftblade and warlock(?) May not have the same role, regardless of similarities.
    You know what's sad...that a Melee classes ranged abilities do more damage then the Ranged classes ranged abilities.

Soulwalker

Yes, it's possible for all classes to be balanced. It just takes a long time to get there.

yes every mage soul is viable in its own little niche (exept elementalist as the pet niche is already filled FFS)

BUT as other posters have stated, there are other non mage classes which fill those same niches better, easier, doing more dps, having more survivability

buffs: bard > archon

heals: cleric > chloro (not in all situations, but you usually need at least 1 cleric as opposed to being able to take 2 chloro's)

DD burst: all other classes > mages

pets: beastmaster > necro or ele

aoe: sab > stormcaller

dots: inquisitor > warlock
    our dots SHOULD be like being in a vice but its more like being in a firm hug from a friend

stealthing, tanking, teleporting, decent armor, decent HP. we get none of that
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-18-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Rift Chaser

Couple good points. Mage is harder than other callings and there should be rewarded accordingly. But some of the complaints I've seen has had nothing to do about the rewards. Some come off as wanting a mage soul to do things that would be byond its niche.

I keep referring to stormcaller since that's what I'm focusing on. I've seen complaints about its DD capabilities. But the abilities and skills are definitely geared more towards aoe damage. And comments about its burst damage when even the description is pretty clear SC has to build towards its damage. And I can't comment on the sab > SC in aoe argument. I don't have the experience to say so. But I do see others who work at SC say they are the top aoe soul when played right.

As for the armor / HP argument, I'm wearing a friggin dress and my toon is male. It'd be nice to get some damage mitigation and -hit chance against others, figuring the laughter causes misses and dampens their blows. But seriously I don't look for ways to survive getting hit.

+ Reply to Thread