+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my identity crisis as a mage

Default my identity crisis as a mage

I am a 50 mage in mostly T1 gear, with 721 SP, 533 spell crit and 101 focus.

I am spending a big amount of time resetting and rebuilding my builds and parsing them, trying to find the hidden jewels.

I can heal instances fine and my chloro build is untouched for a while now, it seems efficient enough so far:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...czko.xx0Gomqxk

Archon is fine too, some little things could be improved, like slightly increased buff duration, but it's ok and if they don't nerf it further and especially don't change how Burning Purpose works, it can be a fun soul.

But.. I did not lvl a mage in order to always be healer or support.

But I can not find any pve dps build that seems good enough to justify giving up on either healing or supporting
    The pyromancer build that seemed best to me, would be pyro51/archon11/warlock4: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...Iuusuts.V0xo.L
    If I can trust the training dummy parse, that build gives more substained dps than pyro/lementalist or pyro/warlock, but only slightly more than I can squeeze out of my Archon :/
    I love the idea of a stormcaller and tried all kind of specs but running out of mana on longer aoe fights (and having to pause dps in order to fix it) is a big turn off. On shorter AoE fights there doesnt seem enough time for building up the dps.

What seems to make most sense mage-dps-wise seems to be the necrolock. When parsing on the dummy, I get the highest numbers from it. Problem is though, I don't like the necromancer in this game that much. I don't like how the combination of long GCD and the pet's dependence on our necro spells minimizes the soul combinations that make sense to necro & warlock.

In instances I am main healer in most cases because it seems to be the best for our groups, in about 10% of all cases I am 51p Archon.
    I happily noticed that the tank (as long as he is tanking and not DPSing) does not outparse my chloro anymore (when I am healing him), so yes gear did help - and probably also that the tanks might have to use more defensive builds now.

But I am still discouraged.
    I usually play with the same 3 people (cleric,rogue,warrior) plus one random friend or pickup. We are all good player's I'd say and raiders in other games. I have always played the more complex casters in other games and that with success.
    It seems to be that things go smoothest when I heal, the cleric is dps (though with his spec he heals for 10% of all damage he deals, which is a fair amount), the rogue is dps (up to 2500 dps on aoe!) and the warrior tanks.
    It just does not make sense to ask the cleric to heal because he will run out of mana and give the group more downtimes, also solohealing seems to be harder for clerics (or he has not found the best spec for it yet or needs more gear). It does not make sense to ask the rogue to be a bard, on aoe he parses up to 2600 dps and single target still 700-800ish.

My problem is basically that the group gains too little if I swap to DPS and loses too much.

I like Rift, I played it for 7 betas and knew what I was getting myself into when I rolled a mage. I guess I found the problems too obvious and believed too much in them having to fix the issues that I am seeing (and posting about since beta 1). I know they said they might tweak mages a bit but continuous nerfs since beta 1 sort of make me doubt that they have the vision for mages that I would like them to have.

I have to say though, I miss my mages from other games and the main reason for me to not give up yet, is probably the fact that there is more new content and more to explore here than there. But eventually that reason will fade.
    I'm not happy. Would I trade my mage for another class? Probably no. But I might eventually trade it for a mage in another game.

I have been raiding with very successful guilds in other games and I should be looking for a guild and for raids in rift. Instead I don't even group as much as I could now because I have some kind of mage identity crisis.
    I should be healing because the chloro seems like the most efficient soul we have, I don't want to though, I want to be dps.
    The question as what I would apply for, keeps me away from joining the raid guilds.

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

Rift Master

Your post seems earnest and I can understand the conundrum - you want to play the part that will best help the group but you also want to have fun.

I wonder if stormcaller was given it's full due in testing.
    I'm not 50 but my goodness I can pump out numbers already.

My mana return off warlock ticks for 300-400ish even at my lvl.
    At about 40 mana a skill that's 7-10 casts to even deplete one instant cast mana drain.
    I start out w/about 2500 mana so it takes over 50 skill casts to even drain it out.
    That's a good minute and a half.

If every 20s or so you had to tap that mana drain once to keep up would it be that eventful?
    It does drop some health so might then have to wait 2s if you want to refill your own off charge because it ticks about that long when it starts. If you aren't the healer tho, someone else may top you off.

I haven't played with it but ppl talk about a mana return from spells in archon i think it is.

Don't really think I helped you much with this post but I'm not 50 so catch me in 10ish lvls.
    Last edited by Fernt; 03-17-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Plane Touched

With your pyro/archon/warlock build I was wondering is the buff to overall damage better than a free spell +GCD you get from opportunity? I figure opportunity would be ideal for Cinder Burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    With your pyro/archon/warlock build I was wondering is the buff to overall damage better than a free spell +GCD you get from opportunity? I figure opportunity would be ideal for Cinder Burst.
    The reason for me to have 11 points in Archon is actually the infinite mana (even when AoEing) and that leeching flames seems to be the best mage dot (it ticks on a non debuffed training dummy for 186 (6 x 178 over 12 seconds) if it does not crit - while regening my mana).

I am a big fan of opportunity as well, found though that Cinderburst is often down when it procs.

GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, DH 4/4, GP 4/4, RotP 4/4, HK 11/11, 5/8 ID (HM, no-reflect Rusila). Recruitment is open. We are especially interested in a highly skilled mage!
    http://shoreline-guild.com

+ Reply to Thread