+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Quick Tip Regarding 1.5s Cast Time Spells

Default A Quick Tip Regarding 1.5s Cast Time Spells

Hi guys,

I just want to clear something up.

Casting a 1.5s or casting it instantly with an instant proc amount to the same DPS.

The global cooldown begins when you cast a spell not after it has finished casting.

Let me just show you how this works in practice for those who may not have understood before (I'm using Warlock as an example):

With Instant Proc:

0s - Cast Dark Touch
    GCD 1.5s
    1.5s - Cast Neddra's Grasp
    GCD 1.5s
    3s - Instant Life Leech
    GCD 1.5s
    4.5s - Cast Draining Bolt

Without Instant Proc:

0s - Cast Dark Touch
    GCD 1.5s
    GCD 1.5s
    3s - Cast Life Leech
    Cast 1.5s

The DPS would be the same whether you get an instant proc or not. You're better off using your instant procs for spells that take longer than 1.5s to cast. This is different when you are PvPing or on the move, of course. Instants of any kind are valuable in these situations.
    Last edited by Xiomaro; 03-17-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Soulwalker

Good tip for those who might not consider it.

In layman's terms this is why you can chain cast 1.5 second fireballs or void bolts because the global cooldown goes by while you are casting

Rift Master

This is true vs a target dummy.

But in any fight, that requires mobility, being able to fire on the move, does add dps.

Shadowlander

Firstly, you have to count correctly:
    0s - Cast Dark Touch
    GCD 1.5s
    GCD 1.5s
    3s - Cast Life Leech
    Cast 1.5s
    you start casting Life Leech at 4.5 sec instead of you're saying - 3s (1.5GCD+1.5cast time +1.5 GCD)

Second thing is, I dunno how much time other people spend to press a button, specifically I, for example, use Wither trying to slow down my opponent and after spending 1.5 sec for casting, then 1.5sec GCD opponent is almost out of my Wither, and already casts DPS spell or some stuns...
    I always lack this time I spend for f* 1.5 sec casts.

So the main thing YOU have to consider, that after 1.5sec cast you have GCD, which does your 5sec CC spells almost useless.. And it's not considering huge cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by airok View Post

you start casting Life Leech at 4.5 sec instead of you're saying - 3s (1.5GCD+1.5cast time +1.5 GCD).
    I'm not sure I understand.

If you cast an instant at 0 seconds then a 1.5s cast directly after that GCD finishes it will start casting exactly 1.5s after the first spell. The cast will finish at 3s with no GCD so you'd be ready to cast another spell.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Shadowlander

0s - Cast Dark Touch
    GCD 1.5s
    GCD 1.5s
    3s - Cast Life Leech
    Cast 1.5s
    0.00sec Dark touch is on place,
    you wait 1.5sec GCD,
    then you spend 1.5sec casting Neddra (=already 3 sec from you combo starts)
    after Neddra you again have 1.5 sec GCD (=4.5sec)
    and only now Life Leech

0.00sec Dark touch is on place,
    you wait 1.5sec GCD,
    then you spend 1.5sec casting Neddra (=already 3 sec from you combo starts)
    after Neddra you again have 1.5 sec GCD (=4.5sec)
    and only now Life Leech
    Neddra's Grasp is an instant cast spell. You may be thinking of Neddra's Torture.

But in the case of Neddra's Torture it would work like this:

0s - Dark Touch
    1.5s GCD
    1.5s - Start casting Neddra's Torture
    1.5s cast time
    3s - Start casting Life Leech
    1.5s cast time
    4.5s - Draining Bolt

It amounts to the same thing.
    Xiomaro
    High Elf Mage

Soulwalker

you start casting Life Leech at 4.5 sec instead of you're saying - 3s (1.5GCD+1.5cast time +1.5 GCD)

Second thing is, I dunno how much time other people spend to press a button, specifically I, for example, use Wither trying to slow down my opponent and after spending 1.5 sec for casting, then 1.5sec GCD opponent is almost out of my Wither, and already casts DPS spell or some stuns...
    I always lack this time I spend for f* 1.5 sec casts.

So the main thing YOU have to consider, that after 1.5sec cast you have GCD, which does your 5sec CC spells almost useless.. And it's not considering huge cooldown.
    Were you dropped on your head when you were born? It looks like you are the one that needs to go back to the first grade, mister mathematician.

The dot gets cast, 1.5 gcd.
    Start casting the 1.5s spell, the global cooldown starts immediately after the beginning of the cast, therefore the global cooldown is done by the time the cast is completed, which means the next spell is started casting at the 3 second mark.

Grade school wasn't nice to you was it?
    Last edited by Vacuity; 03-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiomaro View Post
    I'm not sure I understand.

If you cast an instant at 0 seconds then a 1.5s cast directly after that GCD finishes it will start casting exactly 1.5s after the first spell. The cast will finish at 3s with no GCD so you'd be ready to cast another spell.
    He is stating that since a 1.5 second starting spell wouldn't incur a GCD for the next that there would be less time. But

Time| Name of Spell
    1.5.....Leech Life
    1.5.....Dark Touch
    3.0.....Neddera's Grasp
    4.5.....Draining Bolt
    Since you start with a 1.5 cast you still take up 1.5 seconds of time...then it doesn't matter that Dark Touch "didn't" wait. Either way it comes up to 4.5 time and an instant cast of anything wouldn't help your next void bolts (1.5 second with trait) or anything. Only spells that gain from proc of instant cast is 2+ second cast spells
    Last edited by wallweasels; 03-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Shadowlander

Ok, sorry, I mixed up. But you can read my example of Wither and try out how much time you loose. In reality you gain 4sec of CC than 8 it has. (counting milliseconds you spend for actions)
    Last edited by airok; 03-17-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Ok, sorry, I mixed up. But you can read my example of Wither and try out how much time you loose. In reality you gain 1sec of CC. (counting milliseconds you spend for actions)
    no not really since wither casts and is 1.5 second to cast. So by the time its cast you can instantly use another spell. So yes naturally you would lose time on the casting time of the next spell...but that should be obvious It does mean timing CC should be done after a cast if you can. IE if I want to combo an earth spell + icy carapace I always cast the earth spell first, then icy carapace when the bolt is in midair. That way for my "one cast" i feel as if I got two spells, despite waiting atleast 3 seconds for total GCD usage
    Last edited by wallweasels; 03-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rift Disciple

Ok, sorry, I mixed up. But you can read my example of Wither and try out how much time you loose. In reality you gain 4sec of CC than 8 it has. (counting milliseconds you spend for actions)
    ...what? First off Wither has a travel time, which makes it completely possible to start a spell before it even reaches the target, resulting in MORE than 8 seconds. If you cast it through opportunity you actually lose some of the DPS time during the snare since THAT incurs a GCD.

What the hell are you smoking?

Protip: GCD triggers on spell cast and not spell finish. (And if the spell is interupted then the GCD is removed until you attempt the next spell)
    Last edited by Sinistralis; 03-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread