+ Reply to Thread

Thread: so who isnt some bitter old spellslinger?

Rift Chaser

Angry so who isnt some bitter old spellslinger?

I've gotta ask. I'm new. I know nothing. My mage hasn't hit level 20 yet. But far more discouraging than having to drink after any aoe encounter, than 3-5 corpse runs per night, is the attitude here. I'm trying to use these forums to help figure out a very difficult soul. And half the time things just get more confusing because people are more concerned with flaming Trion or the calling or anyone that thinks mage might ne worth something.

I see people post a build idea and watch them get told don't bother cause ages suck. Not why the build won't work or where it won't work. If someone claims to be making progress they get called a liar without video proof, parse outputs and a seal from Trio stating everything is legit.

So seriously who is here to help and who is just here to wind themselves up into a hyperventilating tantrum? It'd make picking out who to pay attention to easier.
    Last edited by Kuroshio; 03-17-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Shadowlander

I want to just throw an opinion out there, People will no doubt flame etc as people seem to need to do....

IMO That "other" MMO, Which yes I did play for 6 years also so I feel I have a fair right to comment. Anyway not meaning to ramble. That other MMO has turned the whole MMO experience into a monster when MMO should be fun, should be a game, should be how you want to play it.....

What I mean is it seems everyone these days are elitists and it seems to have sparked from that "other" MMO. Especially the whole "cookie cutter build" thing.

People worry too much about end game and you NEEEEEED to do this amount of dps or you're out!

Only then are the tanks and healers getting the better end of the stick, as long as you can tank and can heal without too many problems you're fine. Sure you need to dps the Sh*t down before the healer runs out of mana etc, I mean being competitive But GEEZE an MMO is just a GAME. It's meant to be FUN!

If you make a soul spec YOU enjoy whether it's wrong by the "peoples" standard or not who gives a f*ck. It's YOUR game. and in terms of people going on about mages, I don't know i'm only 30 but I must say i've been enjoying it to death and certainly more of a challenge than other archetypes. I don't know how people feel satisfied to push 2 buttons to win? YAY Fun...Not!

I didn't mean to go off the diving board Ha but just over the last few years I've seen the MMO community fall into a deep hole. You're right it seems more people like to come to forums to criticize, flame and troll others. Seriously go give someone a hug HAHA. It's a game, PLAY it, Don't LIVE it.

Dude play the game how you want, there's no rules.

I'm loving this game just not the whole usual WOW yea I said it WOW B*llSh*t. But hey it's early days. Hopefuilly the kids wiil leave soon enough

My 2 cents.

Statica: For many people, feeling effective is part of having fun. From personal experience, even if I really do love a soul, if I notice that I am constantly being drastically outperformed due to mechanics or values out of my control, it makes it a bit less enjoyable. In this sense, damage parses and other measures of performance are valuable. They provide information to Trion that otherwise might be unavailable.

Of course, this comes with what you might think are extremes... people who will only let you into groups if you're capable of pulling X amount of DPS, and they're free to set whatever standards they want, just as you're free to create groups without those restrictions.

I will gladly accept these consequences because I care about my relative performance. I'd rather have the information than play blindly, because it makes it more fun for me.

Kuroshio: It can be a lot to sift through, but there have been very constructive build discussions. You just have to keep your fingers cross that you find them!
    Last edited by Groobie; 03-17-2011 at 07:41 AM.

I do agree with the OP. While I'm not having a lot of difficulties with mage it was still (and still is) really hard to find good, relevant information on these forums. It seems like whenever someone posts them doing well there are always a thousand counters to it, like people here believe that if you say that "yea mages are ok" than nothing will happen about them.

It's annoying, really. I understand the need to be effective and useful but *****ing and moaning on a forums has never done anything. Mages are a complicated class and we're missing a lot of good informational posts because of these trolls.

<PREGAME ALLSTARS> Gatoraide - 3x Mage Regulos US PvP
    Nadril -3x Rogue | Guardian | www.zackcerny.net | MAGES ARE THE WORST CLASS

Plane Touched

As a Chloro (32) / Warlock (10) / Necro (2), I can give you my experiences from last night if you like. I used 3 drinks, when I had gone through a long fight and it appeared another one was imminent. I could have probably recovered without them, but with some risk. I died twice in the course of the evening. I missed a landing and fell far enough with my dwarf to splatter him badly. Before I could get to a safe place to summon and buff completely, I was jumped by two mobs of higher level. Just as I took the second, a third joined in and finished me off.

We seem limited in what souls we can use if we want good mana regeneration. I am having fun with this combination of souls; what combination are you finding that has mana issues?
    “DEATH! DEATH ANSWERS DEFIANCE!”

Rift Disciple

shouldn't you have fun.

I have a warrior, rogue and cleric and they are fine leveling.
    can a mage level...yes
    is it fun....not to me.
    I have an 85 mage on WOW and started playing him in vanilla. At times he felt slow but nothing like I have seen here in my 18 levels of hurting trying to level.
    I am sure that some of the people here have posted its fine. Even if they struggled and worked their ***** off. Was it fun to them....I don't know.
    I salute them for sticking with it.

but to me this class is something that just feels broken.
    too many long cast with cooldowns on spells that should be instant and not much return for spamming those that are.

I am sure there are builds that work at certain levels but it just feels like an early alpha build that the devs said ah F its work lets go get a beer and then never returned.

and like I have said before a leveling build doesn't start at 49.
    kill things and try not to die is not a guide.
    I went X/Y/Z put some points in X some in Y and Z is just Z

overall I don't know what mages need and don't care. until they fix what I consider a broken class...I am any other class.

Honestly dude if you're having difficulties leveling as a mage I don't know what to tell you. It is one of the easiest classes I've leveled so far. (played warrior in beta, rogue in release and now playing mage).

Have you done the necro/warlock build? It's stupid easy and fast to level as.

<PREGAME ALLSTARS> Gatoraide - 3x Mage Regulos US PvP
    Nadril -3x Rogue | Guardian | www.zackcerny.net | MAGES ARE THE WORST CLASS

Rift Chaser

Only problems I have levelling are 2 puppies (one not housebroken yet), a job and a motorcycle. Meaning I run out of time to play pretty quick

Information, opinions and brainstorming is what I look for. Trying to find out what the hell Trion means in their description of Building Storm, for example, is about as clear as roiled mud. And what does the debuff it stacks on mobs do? Sure I can just spend a point and find out for myself...

But then what are these forums for?

yes i know there are alot of whining mages on the forums butl unfortunately your problem is laziness

the reason there isnt any good discussions on the front page of the forums is that all the QQ threads get bumped to the top while the good ones get filtered to the bottom, just use the search. BTW this took me 2 seconds to do:

searched: building storm
    http://forums.riftgame.com/search.php?searchid=2041868

searched: leveling
    http://forums.riftgame.com/search.php?searchid=2041961

also by the way, 99% of mages are having fun in game rather than posting on the forums so this sample of the population is biased towards negative threads

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    yes i know there are alot of whining mages on the forums butl unfortunately your problem is laziness
    Um... pretty sure I did search since it's in my autocomplete. But the issue isn't my ability to use a search function or not.

Rift is new. Information about the game, skills and such barely exists. And by your own admittance, the sub-forum for one of the hardest callings to play has all the whining bubbling up to the top. While the threads a new player might be looking for are drowning at the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread