Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Mage high boss DPS pve with my included rotation and spec - not pvp

  1. #1
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Mage high boss DPS pve with my included rotation and spec - not pvp

    This post has nothing to do with pvp. if you are looking for pvp look elsewhere. Also this post may be kind of lengthy but it's detailed so you can actually try it in game.

    Regarding mages in pve they really are fine. I've personally not been outdpsd on single target yet in any tier of dungeon and it gets great dps even before being super geared. So not being arrogant or conceited I just thought I'd post this to explain a rotation and how I play and get really high single target dps numbers.

    Spec:

    I'm Necro and have been since beta 3.
    Necro: 51, Warlock 15, Dom 0
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z_v_..cezh

    I only have the warlock spec included because necro is 51 and dom being 0 its all and nothing.

    Rotation - Read explanation after:
    Using Skeletal Zealot as main dps pet.
    Plague Bolt > Necrosis > dark touch > Looming demise > Grave rot > Last Gasp > Life Leech > rushing to full charge refreshing necrosis and dark touch as needed.


    When the tank is counting down to grab the boss i time the cast of plague bolt to hit just after he engages. Then I dont use it again. I follow up with necrosis asap cause skeletal zealot does blood spike immediately when it reaches the target so I like to make sure I get the damage bonus from that with necrosis. Then theres a bit of a delay from when the pet does the next attack that gets the bonus from looming demise so I put dark touch on and then looming demise just in time for the triple hit. Now since the two deathly callings from Plague Bolt are about to be gone I throw grave rot up to keep deathly callings going.

    While working on this rotation so far I'm keeping an eye out for opportunity procs to throw on life leech. Once life leech is up any other opp procs* I use to throw void bolt to refresh life leech and get bonus dps.

    Now doing this rotation I'm also rushing to near full charge. Once everything initially is up and im at about 80% charge I exhume and pull out the 51 point mage pets which hit hard while making sure necrosis, looming, and deathly callings are refreshed for them and immediately switch to Lich form for the overall dps boost.

    Now I dont waste any charge from here because I'm hoping for an OPP proc to cast empty the crypts which happens very often. When that happens I get nearest I can to the boss and bring out those 5 pets which all do a lot of dmg when you have 51 points in necro. So right now necrosis, dark touch, deathly calling, looming demise, main skeletal zealot, mage pet, second zealot, and 5 empty the crypts are destroying thsi boss. While the empty the crypts are running I'm spamming void bolt since I just refreshed everything prior to pulling them out. Once they disappear most of the time I still have enough time in lich form to get to 60% charge and soul purge for the last dps boost.

    Then when all the pets go away and everythings on cooldown its back to the rotation (minus plague bolt) to make sure dots are up, callings are up, etc. Also debuffing the mob like the dwarves ice sheild, assisting with aoe on bosses with grave rot and corpse explosion, and more is a nice bonus.

    I've never been outdpsd on single target in any dungeon run yet by any class. It might take some getting used to to coordinate all of this and time when your pets skills are gonna fire with proper debuffs up, etc. etc. but if you do it's pretty insane and consistent dps.

    The reason I go 51 into necro is the 2 mage pets are really great, empty the crypts is actually really strong, and the damage boost of having so many points, plus pets being immune to any aoe is just really nice.

    Any questions and flames are welcomed. Yes I know a brainless slug can play a rogue and do decent dps and all those arguments, but I dont think people who play mages long term do it because they like easy mode. And like I said.. I'm yet to be outdpsd by one.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Y'know, if you are going to make claims life this, it usually helps your arguement out A LOT if you can back up what you say with numerical proof.

    AKA parse results.

    Without those this thread will devolve into flaming. Just sayin

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    ACT parses please?

    Instance runs / combat dummies? I am intrigued by this

  4. #4
    Telaran Fenz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    75

    Default

    The link only shows the 15 lock points
    Last edited by Fenz; 03-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.

  5. #5
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistralis View Post
    Y'know, if you are going to make claims life this, it usually helps your arguement out A LOT if you can back up what you say with numerical proof.

    AKA parse results.

    Without those this thread will devolve into flaming. Just sayin
    Well parse is affected by whos in your party. It can go up or down depending on support buffing or debuffing. I'm not putting this out here as theory crafting or to seek approval from the masses. I'm putting it up so that people who are trying to find a way to do high dps on bosses as a mage can spec it, learn it, and give it a try and see for themselves because it's what I currently do and it's incredibly successful. Either way if people still just insist on saying mage dps is terrible and they buff mages.. I'm a mage.. itll just get stronger for me too so I win either way.

    Just thought it'd be helpful because it is quite involved to manage everything, but it is high dps.

  6. #6
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    513

    Default

    since looming demise will only actually stick to a mob if nobody else in your party has a similiar debuff, 90% of the time your zealot will not be doing full damage


    because of this i've moved to the revenant who doesnt require looming demise to be present to do full damage, it just eats up stacks of deathly calling stupid fast

  7. #7
    Shadowlander madcappx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    Well parse is affected by whos in your party. It can go up or down depending on support buffing or debuffing. I'm not putting this out here as theory crafting or to seek approval from the masses. I'm putting it up so that people who are trying to find a way to do high dps on bosses as a mage can spec it, learn it, and give it a try and see for themselves because it's what I currently do and it's incredibly successful. Either way if people still just insist on saying mage dps is terrible and they buff mages.. I'm a mage.. itll just get stronger for me too so I win either way.

    Just thought it'd be helpful because it is quite involved to manage everything, but it is high dps.
    "High Dps" is subjective. That's why people want parses. What you consider high dps might not be to someone else. Anecdotal evidence isn't really much of a help because of this.

    Even so I appreciate the thought. Looks like a fun build. I haven't gotten around to trying it mainly since I thought Mass Grave and Empty the Crypts would be pretty bad (incredibly fun though). Since you don't want to post parses could you at least say what your dps usually is depending on the length of a boss fight? Thanks.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Exactly. High DPS is subjective. It is only high when compared to other top contenders. The famous "Gut Feeling" is not a valid reason.

    I honestly could see 51 necro being good in PvE if Looming Demise could be kept up since Pets make up a large majority of the Necro's damage, but the question is do they do enough to warrant the 22.5 + (19 x .6)% DPS reduction the upper tier Warlock Talents offer.

    Also the fact you use Plague Bolt tells me you probably aren't doing as much as you COULD be.

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistralis View Post
    Also the fact you use Plague Bolt tells me you probably aren't doing as much as you COULD be.
    I understand I wrote a lot but I think you overlooked where multiple times I stated I only use it in the very beginning of the pull timing it with the tank to get 2 stacks of deathly calling up and then not using it again. Easy to overlook that in the wall of text. But it helps to read the entire wall of text to comprehend how it all works. I didnt want to be another 'i pwn and u suck' threads so i tried to include as much detail as possible.

    Parses in CC and AP bosses it was 900 dps (they died fast), 700 in tier 1, and 600+ in tier 2. I dont have actual parse screens since with all the 'hack talk' recently I dont have it installed. People in party run act and link after every boss. It was mentioned several times in guild how they found it weird I was doing more dps consistently than FOH did in their live stream. I've never had that problem with looming demise (thankfully). I know only one can be up at any given time, but I've only seen it get removed by a second necro but it's still up so it still counts.

    Also with refreshing dots and relying on pet damage, moving around constantly to avoid fire, spore explosions, etc. etc. everything is instant cast and can be fired on the move.

    Unfortunately the better gear I get the more difficult the dungeons becoming and our second mage is MIA forcing me to play chloro more often. Also I am losing some crit and spellpower to gain more focus... And ultimately its about winning and not meter maiding so if I have to debuff or help out in other ways then I do that. But when I can just purely go all out dps and not worry about anything else its high. Usually it's 30% minimum higher than the next highest dps.

    Apologies for no actual ACT parsing screens I'm just encouraging anyone who doubts that plays a high lvl mage even with just regular gear cause tahts what I ran CC with when i was getting 800-900 parses just to spec to 51/15/0, read the rotation and once you get it down where it's comfortable start parsing and you'll see. It's important to get all the cooldowns off as soon as possible cause some fights are long enough you can do it again. I'm on Keenblade do a run with me if you're on the server or pm me anything in game if you're trying it and ill explain and help.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    Plague Bolt >
    I stopped reading here...

  11. #11
    Telaran Fenz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenz View Post
    The link only shows the 15 lock points
    And I need to learn how to read. Carry on!
    I ain't leaving without your soul and I am sober this time.

  12. #12
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yrro View Post
    I stopped reading here...
    then keep reading. he says it's only to apply the initial 2 deathly calling stacks. FFS people on the internet.

  13. #13
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Still havent seen a single parse from a t1+ dungeon showing a mage competing with other DPS classes for the bosses HP.

    Not a single one, however a few people still suggest that their damage "feels fine"

    My damage felt fine to, untill the parse was read to the group, it was quite embarassing.

  14. #14
    Prophet of Telara Shhhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenz View Post
    And I need to learn how to read. Carry on!
    Dont worry you're not the only one here that's apparently having problems with that

    Edit: Crunchyblack dont worry noone in our guild has ran with any other mages that do good dps either. It's certainly not common which is kinda cool cause if they do buff mages the good ones will be insane.
    Last edited by Shhhh; 03-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.

  15. #15
    Shadowlander madcappx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh View Post
    I understand I wrote a lot but I think you overlooked where multiple times I stated I only use it in the very beginning of the pull timing it with the tank to get 2 stacks of deathly calling up and then not using it again. Easy to overlook that in the wall of text. But it helps to read the entire wall of text to comprehend how it all works. I didnt want to be another 'i pwn and u suck' threads so i tried to include as much detail as possible.

    Parses in CC and AP bosses it was 900 dps (they died fast), 700 in tier 1, and 600+ in tier 2. I dont have actual parse screens since with all the 'hack talk' recently I dont have it installed. People in party run act and link after every boss. It was mentioned several times in guild how they found it weird I was doing more dps consistently than FOH did in their live stream. I've never had that problem with looming demise (thankfully). I know only one can be up at any given time, but I've only seen it get removed by a second necro but it's still up so it still counts.

    Also with refreshing dots and relying on pet damage, moving around constantly to avoid fire, spore explosions, etc. etc. everything is instant cast and can be fired on the move.

    Unfortunately the better gear I get the more difficult the dungeons becoming and our second mage is MIA forcing me to play chloro more often. Also I am losing some crit and spellpower to gain more focus... And ultimately its about winning and not meter maiding so if I have to debuff or help out in other ways then I do that. But when I can just purely go all out dps and not worry about anything else its high. Usually it's 30% minimum higher than the next highest dps.

    Apologies for no actual ACT parsing screens I'm just encouraging anyone who doubts that plays a high lvl mage even with just regular gear cause tahts what I ran CC with when i was getting 800-900 parses just to spec to 51/15/0, read the rotation and once you get it down where it's comfortable start parsing and you'll see. It's important to get all the cooldowns off as soon as possible cause some fights are long enough you can do it again. I'm on Keenblade do a run with me if you're on the server or pm me anything in game if you're trying it and ill explain and help.
    Good post. I appreciate your tone btw. The exceedingly arrogant tone from some of the mage defenders in these forums gets old. Those numbers are pretty competitive with other mage specs as well. Might give it a try sometime, seems like a lot of fun. Thanks 8).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts