+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why would I ever play a mage?

Soulwalker

Default Why would I ever play a mage?

I watch rogues with bows literally jumping around ripping people apart, mages have to cast, during which time the other player just LoS's the mage.... I've watched warriors intentionally stay at range to nuke people..... I thought 'maybe it's better at endgame' yet on here all I see is the same thing confirmed at 50. Whoever thought it would be OK for classes meant for melee to be allowed to match damage (I use "match" loosely here because it's only matched on paper, thanks to interrupts and pushback and melee being able to run circles around people while still doing maximum damage, casters do LESS damage in practice) with casters obviously wanted no one to play mages. I wont touch on the mana drain aspects that everyone else is freaking out about.

List me some incentives? Anyone?

Soulwalker

Play what's fun for you. If you only care about killing people in PvP, then play a calling that suits your play style.

I am enjoying my Chloromancer, I do not do much PvP, and when I do warfronts, I'm the healer. It doesn't bother me that mages are squishy in PvP because I'm still having fun playing one.
    Wisdom comes at the cost of sanity - A.B.

I agree with OP . I played a mage till level 30 in beta and i was not feeling this class to be competitive .

Fun looking yes fun to play yes in pve . Then at headstart i started a rogue and get tons more fun and more contribution from rifts .

Mages need a very very skilled player to be close to be good in pvp and it is a lot more harder to do it .

it is like putting wings to a washmachine and make it fly to the moon . Needs effort .

So i suggest to roll somthing other .

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by VElsix View Post
    I watch rogues with bows literally jumping around ripping people apart, mages have to cast, during which time the other player just LoS's the mage.... I've watched warriors intentionally stay at range to nuke people..... I thought 'maybe it's better at endgame' yet on here all I see is the same thing confirmed at 50. Whoever thought it would be OK for classes meant for melee to be allowed to match damage (I use "match" loosely here because it's only matched on paper, thanks to interrupts and pushback and melee being able to run circles around people while still doing maximum damage, casters do LESS damage in practice) with casters obviously wanted no one to play mages. I wont touch on the mana drain aspects that everyone else is freaking out about.

List me some incentives? Anyone?
    Every raid will need at least 2 of you, one for chloromancer secondary heals, and one archon to buff.

They can have a cool skeleton, one of the few pets that can do some decent damage.

umm...welp....no rogues do that better....

Their skills look cool...

=(

Soulwalker

in their current state, you would be better off rolling something else (rogue/plate mage) in my opinion.

Mages/clerics got the short end of the stick in PVP and have serious survivability issues.

PvE, they rock and have versatility in roles but imo, thats for the birds.

General of Telara

I play a mage because I always play a mage.

For PvE in particular, our saving graces are the Chloro tree and the Archon tree. Dominator gives us better in-combat CC than pretty much anyone else, and for 0 points even if you have none to spare.

Unfortunately, don't expect to do competitive DPS, especially as people gear up.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by xBreezex View Post
    in their current state, you would be better off rolling something else (rogue/plate mage) in my opinion.

Mages/clerics got the short end of the stick in PVP and have serious survivability issues.

PvE, they rock and have versatility in roles but imo, thats for the birds.
    Ive seen some clerics do pretty good in pvp. Was watching a melee stealth rogue try and try to beat some cleric build in sanctum (both were 50 from the same guild) and he couldnt do it. Clerics have built in survivability that we dont have, even with chloromancers heals. I would guess that clarics DPS is about what ours is, only they have survivability.

They might suck in WF's in a non healing role due to a lack of AOE or something however...im not very familair with clerics to be honest.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchyblack View Post
    Ive seen some clerics do pretty good in pvp. Was watching a melee stealth rogue try and try to beat some cleric build in sanctum (both were 50 from the same guild) and he couldnt do it. Clerics have built in survivability that we dont have, even with chloromancers heals. I would guess that clarics DPS is about what ours is, only they have survivability.

They might suck in WF's in a non healing role due to a lack of AOE or something however...im not very familair with clerics to be honest.
    One of the major problems with clerics is that unlike mages, they rely on a constant, steady mana regeneration rate instead of abilities that restore a generous amount of mana on-demand.

That means if they get mana drained, they can't just cast an ability that will fill them back up. They have to run away out of combat and drink.

Yes, mage mana restoring abilities come with their own penalties and difficulties, but at least we can use them in combat.

Shadowlander

Im 34 and im just sick to my stomach right now, I have waisted so much time playing a mage, I pray they do something or im just done, its just a joke now to get hit for 1800 while my dots to 50

Shadowlander

i think that trion needs to make it so that mages don't have to face people in warfronts to cast spells that would be a big boost to survivability

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ticticticboom View Post
    i think that trion needs to make it so that mages don't have to face people in warfronts to cast spells that would be a big boost to survivability
    so we can cast under powerd spells while standing still and facing away from the target?

mabey that will help us in not seeing the small numbers popping up?

Plane Touched

I gave up on mage when I noticed that my lvl 10 rogue could outdamage my lvl 20 mage. But I'll probably come back to it later just for the fun of playing a dominator in warfronts.

i suggest casters to be able to cast while moving, or atleast some abilities. i mean cool, we have to wait 2 seconds to cast something, AND stay still, AND wear the worst armor in the game, Making it easy for the other two melee classes to destory us while they "Dance" around your character using LoS, WHILE doing full damage on you, keep in mind, while we stay still and try to "Cast", sometimes not even getting the cast off due to LoS. Say your casting a 2.5 damage spell, and you cast it all the way, and boom, out of LoS thats 2.5 SECONDS that so sat idle. Enough for warriors 2 GCD, doing more damage that you would of done even if you got the cast off. very dark days of mages indeed.
    -TJ, Deepstrike Pvp server

+ Reply to Thread