+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stormcaller PVE build.

Shadowlander

Default Stormcaller PVE build.

I've been leveling a necromancer/lock (healing with my chloro specc) so far, and while it is quite fun, but I want to try out new things. I'm currently level 27 and when I bought a new role and chose stormcaller I quickly to overwhelmed by all the new spells I had never tried before.

So perhaps I'm being a bit lazy, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had some experience leveling a stormcaller, maybe even without using a pet? I'd appreciate a link to a build and some tips on which spells to use and when to use them.

I've heard that warlock is the unparalleled secondary soul, but I've played with that with my necromancer already and I was thinking of going elemental, or maybe archon.

Any help is appreciated, even if it's just a line on which basic spells to use and why.

Prophet of Telara

Spell rotation, copied from a previous post:

Arctic Blast, Forked Lightning/Raging Storm (AE/single), Ice Shard (single target only), Lightning Field x 3.

You want to lead with Arctic Blast as it enhances all your casted air damage spells (Forked Lightning and Raging Storm, in this case). If you've got multiple mobs, use Forked Lightning, otherwise use Raging Storm to build electrified effects while getting decent damage.

With multiple mobs, you'll want to keep using Forked Lightning until the mobs can be killed with 3 Lightning Fields. Charged Field pumps up the damage of Lightning Field, but uses up electrified effects every time it hits multiple mobs.

With a single mob, toss an Ice Shard in there before you use Lightning Field to increase it's damage quite a bit. Since you're not hitting multiple mobs with Lightning Field, you can cast it 7 times before your electrified effects wear out.

I'll get back to you later with some build suggestions.

Soulwalker

tag for future reading.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Korinthian View Post
    I've been leveling a necromancer/lock (healing with my chloro specc) so far, and while it is quite fun, but I want to try out new things. I'm currently level 27 and when I bought a new role and chose stormcaller I quickly to overwhelmed by all the new spells I had never tried before.

So perhaps I'm being a bit lazy, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had some experience leveling a stormcaller, maybe even without using a pet? I'd appreciate a link to a build and some tips on which spells to use and when to use them.

I've heard that warlock is the unparalleled secondary soul, but I've played with that with my necromancer already and I was thinking of going elemental, or maybe archon.

Any help is appreciated, even if it's just a line on which basic spells to use and why.

In beta 6 & 7, I played storm/pyro/warlock distributing points more or less equally. I made it to 25 before the end of beta and had some fun doing it.

With the headstart, I ran a storm/pyro/archon up to 23 before switching to a dps cleric. The archon has some decent buffs for working in a party or raid but the combo doesn't deal as much raw damage as it should. Recently, I redid my souls to pyro/dominator/cloro and put most points into pyro. Now I'm doing more serious raw damage, but I don't really have much to offer to any group situations. I've only played the new split for a couple of hours though, so I'm not really used to all the new spells. Most of the spells in pyro take too long to cast to be really useful, we need a way to reduce casting time, or a change to the soul that reduces cast times.

I try to avoid pvp whenever possible because I've always been outclassed by everyone else.

Plane Touched

my PVE stormcall build is 15 Dominator for upgraded manawretch for unlimited mana in expert instances/boss fights.
    44 Stormcaller the battler es is handy to have if something goes wrong, and 7 Elementalist for increased crit on spells and lightning strike nuke/revitalise.

is excellent for aoeing groups of trash and adds on boss fights, but it's not as great on single target DPS as some other specs,
    http://tbh.org.uit.no/RFT/?c=forum_sections
    TBHO Recruiting all callings/roles, Whitefall - EUPVP
    Xathian - 55Templar - Perento/Spatalos Aion EU - Xathian - LoL
    MisterTea-Frank Jaegar - Darkfall
    Xathian Fury PvP 80 Assassin-Gank n Spank, AoC

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    my PVE stormcall build is 15 Dominator for upgraded manawretch for unlimited mana in expert instances/boss fights.
    44 Stormcaller the battler es is handy to have if something goes wrong, and 7 Elementalist for increased crit on spells and lightning strike nuke/revitalise.

is excellent for aoeing groups of trash and adds on boss fights, but it's not as great on single target DPS as some other specs,
    How is that to level? That's my main concern atm, although the information is appreciated.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    Arctic Blast, Forked Lightning/Raging Storm (AE/single), Ice Shard (single target only), Lightning Field x 3.

You want to lead with Arctic Blast as it enhances all your casted air damage spells (Forked Lightning and Raging Storm, in this case). If you've got multiple mobs, use Forked Lightning, otherwise use Raging Storm to build electrified effects while getting decent damage.

With multiple mobs, you'll want to keep using Forked Lightning until the mobs can be killed with 3 Lightning Fields. Charged Field pumps up the damage of Lightning Field, but uses up electrified effects every time it hits multiple mobs.

With a single mob, toss an Ice Shard in there before you use Lightning Field to increase it's damage quite a bit. Since you're not hitting multiple mobs with Lightning Field, you can cast it 7 times before your electrified effects wear out.

I'll get back to you later with some build suggestions.
    Thank you! That's precisely the information I was looking for. I'd love it if you'd comment a bit on your build (when you post that) and mention which skills to take for what specialization (dungeon, leveling, end-game).

Soulwalker

This is my end game spec that I was looking at.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0ssbo.xx0V0VVx

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bere1 View Post
    This is my end game spec that I was looking at.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...0ssbo.xx0V0VVx
    So you're using Electrocute (since you took Improved Electrocute) in your rotation, then? How does it compare to the previously mentioned cast rotations?

Quote Originally Posted by Korinthian View Post
    Hello,

1) people usually pair Stormcaller with Warlock because Sacrifice Life: Mana is desperately needed. Stormcaller spells simply plow through any mana bar. I wouldn't be surprised to see SF:M being mandatory for any lvl 50 Stormcaller PvE build. Anyway, to your original question: yes, Warlock is a good choice.

2) with stormcaller, expect ranged mobs around level 35 (and up) to tear you apart. You can to certain degree kite melee, but once they start shooting at you, Stormcaller is as fragile as any other mage. Main Necromancer soul certainly makes leveling faster and more pleasant experience.

Unfortunately I can't provide you any leveling build, because I've been leveling as Necro / Warlock so far, with Archon / Pyro for dungeons. I tried Stormcaller around level 40, but it was actually very stressful to keep myself alive with accidental pulls.
    Which is worse? Ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

Rift Master

My storm role I have setup with chloro and dom.
    Dom for the 2 pink points at the base to give .5 after cc making most of the casted stuff 1.5.
    For pve I like to go back and forth some with life skills. That keeps the int buff from life skills up often.

Example pull
    Open up with non aggro spores
    Cast the long slow.
    Get 3 electrifieds usually off the casted 1.5 skill. Between which I may throw in life skills for dots and the int buff.
    Then I buff the dmg of the air and water with the instant shear type skill.
    After that - charge is good so either go hypothermia crazy or feed more ltng with the 20% +10% dmg buff - the pink one. Haven't memorized the skill names yet.
    If something gets close I use cc or pushbacks and go from there.

Challenge in pve w/out a mana building skill yet for me is stopping to drink but thats short with fauxsters so for now it's ok. It's under 10s and I probably spent 10s doing the sacrifice life mana a few times then healing myself all chloro - this one just costs cash but during that sit I can look around and plan my next mob or focus.

Shadowlander

Bumps and lumps.

Soulwalker

Only level 19, with no beta\headstart experience. Take this with a grain of salt.

Storm\Ele\Dom

Single Target

Pet engaged

Thunderbolt to 3 Electrified Charges, Ice Shear for the extra damage, Cloud Burst for lulz, That one big nuke from the elementalist tree that is a perfect fit skill set wise - Lightning Strike I think. Keep Electrified up, keep Ice Shear buff up, keep Lightning strike on Cool Down. I tend to use Thunderbolt or one of the other instant casts as filler.

AOE

Raging Storm to build electritified, Arctic Blast, Forked Lightning, Lightning Field. Still unsure when to use Static Flux other than when charge is full and I want to burn harder. There's another charge ability that I cant think of right now. Not sure when to use that one either.

Shield of Telara

I leveled a Stormcaller with points up about half into Warlock to about 42-ish then I switched to a Chloro/Lock. In all honestly unless you plan on AoEing a lot Stormcaller is a waste of points on single targets. Their damage isn't bad it's just that you can do more damage with other builds and time trying to regen mana. AoE is the heaviest damage in this soul but it eats through mana like nothing.

Telaran

I've been playing a elementalist/stormcaller/dom since beta. It works out extremely good for AoE leveling or soloing elite level mobs. Once you have your Greater Earth Elemental w/ 2 points in Improved Quicken Elements it becomes very easy, but yet still enough of a challenge that you will die if you mess up.

You can simply send your pet around to gather up about 6 mobs or so. Alternate your pet to a couple of different targets to help him build a little more aggro than on 1 specific. Open up with Arctic Blast and then quickly cast Burning Ground followed by 1 Forked Lightening. Once they have a single electrified effect you then put up Static Flux and spam Lighting Field. This will then cause the mobs to start moving towards you, but will still have the Hypothermia effects of Arctic Blast. At this point you can have your pet attack them and typically he will regain aggro.

Worst case you have 1 or 2 mobs coming at you with about 5% hp left. You should always have Ice Sheild up. You can easily finish them off with another Lighting Field or Icy Gale and a spell of your choosing.

There are a couple minor variations to the rotation depending on circumstances. Sometimes you don't even need to cast Burning Ground for example and just go right to Forked Lightening and Lighting Field. It just depends on how many hp the mobs has really.

I'm in my mid 30's now and having no problems clearing out entire camps of mobs in Scarlet Gorge. I'll typically take down a group of mobs in a quicker time than others nearby taking 1 mob at a time. It is still very risky as you have to really pay attention to the aggro and keeping snare and ice shield up. You can die a lot if you mess up, but it's very fun to see how many you can kill in 1 pull. With proper rotation and awareness you should be able to finish every fight full hp and using Revitalize to quickly go full mana to start again.
    Last edited by Zarlaan; 03-09-2011 at 10:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast