+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anticipate Nerfs.

Plane Touched

Default Anticipate Nerfs.

The Mage situation is playing out the same way it always does with the gimp class in every new MMO:

Phase 1 - Day 0 - 21:

-30 page thread of /signed-s and complaints.

-In-game petitions galore of "please buff <Underpowered Class>."

-Threats of account cancellation, rerolling, etc.

-Theorycrafting and magical thinking regarding coefficients or stat contribution being bugged.

-Total radio silence from developers in general.

Phase 2 - Day 21 - 30:

-First patch buffs other classes. The underpowered class gets tooltip fixes, an anemic buff to a skill no one uses, and seemingly random nerfs to other skills.

-Underpowered class population dips significantly as they experiment with other classes and find the difference to be just as night-and-day as everyone told them it would be.

-A few cling to the idea that "bugs" are still causing the class problems. Most just realize it's working as intended.

-Total radio silence from the developers regarding any kind of balance changes.

Phase 3 - Day 31 - 90

-30 days are up, dedicated players of the underpowered class don't renew. Fewer voices are heard as population dwindles further.

-Patches 2 and 3 bring hard nerfs down on the underpowered class, typically removing their only good abilities. Any strange outlying bugs are fixed, but nothing that really helps the class overall. Classes no one talks about get random changes that don't really help or harm them. Classes considered to be "overpowered" get minor buffs.

-Developers are actively responding in the forums, but mostly ignore the underpowered class's because it's too depressing.

Phase 4 - Day 91 - 150

-The underpowered class is rarely seen outside of major raid guilds who take them for their pigeonholed role. The forums are quiet but polite, largely populated by those who enjoy the one or two roles the class is good at.

-Patches 4 and 5 start gently balancing other classes "internally," to make the class's power curves smoother. The underpowered class gets no changes in any direction.

-Developers are active in the forums and post in the underpowered class's, but only in response to butt-kissing remarks from the few people left.

Phase 5 - 150 - ???

-At some point there is a declaration that the next patch will be "The <Underpowered Class> Patch." It takes way too long to arrive, but when it lands, the class becomes grossly overpowered for about a week. Over the course of the following month, the class is hotfixed weekly back down to a level of hazy parity with the other classes.

-In this sweeping Class Patch, the unique roles the class could fulfill are mostly lost in the classic magic trick of a big move covering a small one.

Phase 6: The rest of the game's lifespan.

-The Underpowered Class is now the Average to Above Average Class. It has temporary moments in the sun, but is forever the whipping boy of balance, getting random nerfs or strange "fixes" thrown at it every other round.

In RIFT's case...

For Mages to become DPS kings would require sweeping fixes that buff overall damage by +75% or more. That's just not going to happen.

Anticipate:

-The removal of Ground of Power.

-Big nerfs to Dominators, specifically Mana Drain. And no Transmogrify-reflecting-onto-yourself fix til Patch 2 at earliest.

-No changes at all for spell coefficients/contribution from gear.

-Anemic buffs to DoTs.

-Stormcallers and Pyromancers getting random nerfs, or, at best, zero-sum changes.

-Elementalists receiving no significant changes that would bring relevance to the soul.

-Archons and Chloromancers becoming the "intended" use of Mages, with balance changes revolving largely around that.

-Six months before a solo Mage can rival a solo Warrior or Rogue in PvP, or top damage charts in a non-AOE raid situation in PvE.

tl;dr

MMO history shows that, for the underpowered class, it gets worse long long long before it gets better.
    Last edited by Diplomat; 03-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Shadowlander

Sadly, I think you're assessment is going to turn out true, if the lack of revision during beta is any indication.

This game is so great in so many ways, I just wish they cared about all 4 callings, rather than 3.

Plane Touched

Ground of Strength will be removed, not Power.

Sorry. lol5minuteeditwindow

Quote Originally Posted by Diplomat View Post
    Ground of Strength will be removed, not Power.

Sorry. lol5minuteeditwindow
    that or it will only work against NPCs lower lvl 45

didnt Trion say they want to be "different"?

bad for us is though, a lot of the people not play mages, are probably happy about our weak existence, makes them feel good about their own "performance"
    Last edited by Ramea; 03-07-2011 at 11:57 PM.

sadly things sure seem headed this way
    Down the rabbit hole...

Rift Disciple

This thread is stupid.

You sure needed a lot of words to tell a bad joke.

Rift Chaser

Infact I think it will go something like that. I am a 50 mage, and I refuse to reroll really, cuz it will suck to do so. But I got SWTOR comming out in 6 months time, so I can ghold on till then I suppose.

If they nerf squirrel and GoP, then the mage class is in my eyes considered dead. There is no comming back from that unless they get big buffs or other classes dmg gets nerfed. Right now all mages got going for them is a bit of controll, if that controll goes away, then the mage goes away.

Butthe thing I hate the most right now is the fact that Trion (Who I had big hopes in, but they are slowly going down) totally treats mages as the red headed step child. Its a FACT that many many people see mages asa problem. Its not even just mages. There are parsers all over the place showing mages low dmg compared to rogues and warriors - Still.... The Devs are totally silent. Nothing is veing said. Not a "We know the promblem is there, and we are working on it" or a "We think mages are up to par, and they do just fine" Nothing. Soon, GoP, and XX in general is gonna be hit with a big nerf that majes diminishing returns, and that will blow mages out of the water. Not everyone made a mage to play chloromancer really.

Imagine what happens when warriors and rogues gets more hp and resist from raid gear... Mages scale really bad with they're gear as it is. It will be the death of mages.

Its a crying shame.
    Last edited by drack; 03-08-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Rift Disciple

I just have this feeling that the guy who's responsible for balancing PvP has a personal grudge against mages, for some reason. Probably played a rogue/warrior in WoW and got repeatedly outplayed by skilled frost mages, hence the nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by hightech View Post
    This thread is stupid.

You sure needed a lot of words to tell a bad joke.
    Using a lot of words like this is indeed a very simple ploy to add credibility. Still, he goes away with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Retroviruz View Post
    I just have this feeling that the guy who's responsible for balancing PvP has a personal grudge against mages, for some reason. Probably played a rogue/warrior in WoW and got repeatedly outplayed by skilled frost mages, hence the nerfs.
    Ah skilled frostmages in WoW? The ability to press three buttons over and over again might be enough to start a nuclear war but has nothing to with skill.

Default About right

Sadly, this is probably the most insightful, realistic post of the fate of this class for now. I applaud you and hate the truth.

Soulwalker

This guy is more than likely right. I would honestly like a statement from Trion regarding Mages. I have high hopes for this game. I don't want to kill it because the calling I wanted to play isn't playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Demah View Post
    it because the calling I wanted to play isn't playable.
    Oh the drama! Exaggeration might look cool indoors but will get ya in trouble fast, in the big outdoors.

Shadowlander

Which is why I already rolled a Warrior.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast