+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deep Stormcaller Rotation?

Soulwalker

Default Deep Stormcaller Rotation?

Hello all.

I've been *loving* Stormcaller for group PvP, but as I get deeper and deeper into the tree, I'm getting really lost about my rotation. Can anyone lend a hand?

I'm starting to get the talents that mix Hypothermia + Electrified effects, and this is where it's confusing me. I've tried to incorporate Cloudburst or Ice Shear but I can't pull as much DPS as my Thunderbolt. My current rotation has been (talking PvE here) Lightning Strike -> Raging Storm -> Thunderbolt until dead with my Stone Pet from Elementalist.

Any advice would be great-- thanks!

Telaran

arctic blast -> electrocute -> ice shear -> arctic blast till dead or electrified/shear needs refreshing, assuming you have stretch of cold and cold weather training at 5/5 each. Yes, Arctic blast is an AoE but it does like twice as much dps as thunderbolt/icicle even to a single target.

On test server, Arctic blast is nerfed with a 20s cooldown. If that goes live you want icicle/arctic -> electrocute -> ice shear -> thunderbolt.

If the 20s cooldown change goes live, you're better off speccing out of heavy stormcaller though since the cold spells other then arctic blast are useless other then applying hypo and there's no reason to waste points boosting them.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cosette View Post
    Hello all.

I've been *loving* Stormcaller for group PvP, but as I get deeper and deeper into the tree, I'm getting really lost about my rotation. Can anyone lend a hand?

I'm starting to get the talents that mix Hypothermia + Electrified effects, and this is where it's confusing me. I've tried to incorporate Cloudburst or Ice Shear but I can't pull as much DPS as my Thunderbolt. My current rotation has been (talking PvE here) Lightning Strike -> Raging Storm -> Thunderbolt until dead with my Stone Pet from Elementalist.

Any advice would be great-- thanks!
    single target PvE? at high lvl this is what I do:

start with artic blast (slows the mob, boosts RS damage) -> RagingStorm (roots the mob till channeling is done if u have shell shock, adds 3 stacks) -> Ice Shear (damage boost if target has 3 stacks) by then the mobs hp should be down to half just finish him with Lighting Strike and spam Lightning Field till mobs dead. both of those skills will hit harder since the target has 3 stacks and is ice sheared. or if you have Warlock soul after ice shear if 'Opportunity' doesn't proc spam lightning field till it procs and you get a instant cast lightning strike

That's how I do it and mobs are always dead before they get to me, I don't use pet.

Prophet of Telara

Arctic Blast, Forked Lightning/Raging Storm (AE/single), Ice Shard (single target only), Lightning Field x 3.

You want to lead with Arctic Blast as it enhances all your casted air damage spells (Forked Lightning and Raging Storm, in this case). If you've got multiple mobs, use Forked Lightning, otherwise use Raging Storm to build electrified effects while getting decent damage.

With multiple mobs, you'll want to keep using Forked Lightning until the mobs can be killed with 3 Lightning Fields. Charged Field pumps up the damage of Lightning Field, but uses up electrified effects every time it hits mutliple mobs.

With a single mob, toss an Ice Shard in there before you use Lightning Field to increase it's damage quite a bit. Since you're not hitting multiple mobs with Lightning Field, you can cast it 7 times before your electrified effects wear out.

Single target what I've been doing in PvE is Exposure -> Arctic Blast -> Raging Storm -> Ice Shear -> Turn on Static Flux -> Lightning Strike -> Lightning Field -> Turn off Static Flux -> Thunderbolt -> Arctic Blast -> Ice Shear -> Flux -> Lightning Strike -> Lightning Field -> etc

With adds, I'll use Forked Lightning in place of Thunderbolt.

On a multi pull, Hailstorm -> Lightning Storm -> Field -> Forked -> Field -> etc refreshing hypothermia with Arctic Blast if needed.

In PvP I use the change soul button as my rotation.
    Mercy/Celerity/Leviticus ~ Brocliff

Rift Master

Deep SC you are managing so many CD's that trying to keep a specific rotation is just not going to happen.

It will change any time you need to move, get interrupted, or if adds.

What you need to do is understand each spells mechanics and scaling.
    The real problem being, scaling is all over the place, and not quite logical at times.

Debuffs are all additive. Ice shears 30% adds into electrifieds 42%, lit conductors 15%, and cloudburst 45%.
    This is why cloudburst is inferiour to neural prod.
    You might think, my 200 damage cloudburst getting 45% from elex3 will be 290, then 30% elex3 from inductance is 377. but its not. its 75% for 350.
    so neural prods higher base damage, and better spell scaling is being multiplied by the 72%, while cb's lower bases is going into 117%, but doesnt catch up.

Lit strike and raging storm are your highest dps spells. by far. you'll want to make sure exposure and full debuffs are up for them each cd. ice sheer, lit conductor for raging. Use static flux for them and artic blast as well, but turn it off as soon as you finish them. (might be possible to macro activating it?) there is no cd, and you want to make sure flux is up for every high dps spells cd. wasting flux on a "builder" like ice shear or lbolt is a dps loss. Granted if your charge is full, go ahead and use it.

A fully talented artic blast is decent dps, but stilll not your best. Forked lit,esp with lit conductor is more dps then a 20-40% str of cold artic blast. 40+ blast does do very well admittedly. Wont top lit strike or raging, but does very well. At very least is a nice staple to add lit conductor for raging and forked lit.
    the numbers on blast may LOOK big, but you need to consider cast time. Forked is more dps. And so is hailstorm. Hailstorm also applies the hypo effect for 16s instead of 10s.

do not underestimate mana eff as well. Tbolt is only slightly less dps then forked. But you wont run out of mana. Time spent channeling mana return is dps lost.

Building storm is terrible of course.
    Intensity elements, if you go that deep in elem, very likely adds with other buffs, like static flux. Meaning, there is no reason to double up on the two, other then to see huge numbers. its not actually more dps doing that however. Again though, you want to activate it, and use your high dps long cooldown abilities.

If your third is dominator, neural prod is less dps then tbolt, or forked, (even without lit conductor included. w/ its futher behind, but it is more dps then cloudburst) Quick thinking is VERY good, as thunderblast, and raging storm both activate it. taking another .5s off hailstorm, lit strike or articblast.
    And thunderblast is higher dps then forked lit as well. It should be worked into your rotation.

Charged field vs lit field.
    This is something I've been considering. lit field is higher dps then forked. But charged is higher burst, but not usable long term. It might be best to not get charged field, and just dps with lit field, as your staple when spells are on CD.
    Last edited by sarianne; 03-08-2011 at 06:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread