Closed Thread

Thread: Best Spec for Solo'ing Group Mobs?

Soulwalker

Default Best Spec for Solo'ing Group Mobs?

I'm currently using a necro/lock build (lvl 19), and I can't seem to get through some of these difficult quests. Has anyone found a good spec for handling tough mobs solo?

Thanks in advance!

Shadowlander

Full necro/off lock is what I'd go with. You can't AE tank until you get the Knight at 21. You can try juggling the life drain on multiples, with Imp VB refresh, but the damage will catch up with you if you get too ambitious.

But for soloing elites, it's great, so long as you juggle your mana/life/charge/pet's life well. Keeping the enemy 5-stacked speeds up the whole thing, thereby decreasing your chances of OOM and increasing your chance of success. Maintaining DoTs, too, and once you get to appropriate level, you get a new pet every minute.

Default Try this !

Necro is ok for a lot of solo but there are issues when there are lots of mobs and so...

Necro / Dominator.

That gives you some CC and it really helps.

You can have Warlock as the third sould but save it for respec when you reach the endgame.

Oh and turn off that auto attack that lessens the pets aggro. Very annoying that one its been off for so long I forget what it was called lol.
    Notice : My signature is now only available from my shop.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Esteemed View Post
    Full necro/off lock is what I'd go with. You can't AE tank until you get the Knight at 21. You can try juggling the life drain on multiples, with Imp VB refresh, but the damage will catch up with you if you get too ambitious.

But for soloing elites, it's great, so long as you juggle your mana/life/charge/pet's life well. Keeping the enemy 5-stacked speeds up the whole thing, thereby decreasing your chances of OOM and increasing your chance of success. Maintaining DoTs, too, and once you get to appropriate level, you get a new pet every minute.
    From reading your comments I believe I might be doing something wrong. I've been using Void Bolt (Lock nuke) instead of Plague Bolt b/c it is a better nuke. However, perhaps I didn't take the stacks of Deathly Calling into consideration. Is it better to build stacks with a weaker nuke than using a better nuke?

Also, my pet dies pretty fast on group mobs. Maybe I'm missing something.

aux

The Elementalist with the earth pet specced for tanking (Elemental Link, Improved Quicken Elements & Weathered) can solo elite mobs pretty easily.
    Add some points to Warlock for insta-cast DoTs... you need to be healing your pet most of the time and you can only get a few quick damage spells in once in a while.
    Last edited by aux; 03-06-2011 at 03:09 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Annuvyn View Post
    Oh and turn off that auto attack that lessens the pets aggro. Very annoying that one its been off for so long I forget what it was called lol.
    If you want your pet to tank, then summon the skeletal stalwart whose abilities increase threat and who is more durable than the skeletal horror...

If you have your skeletal horror out, then either a tank is the one tanking, or YOU'RE the one tanking, keeping yourself up with self-healing abilities.

Skeletal stalwarts are tanks, not horrors.

Prophet of Telara

I recently persuaded a friend of mine to try Chloro/Lock + 0 point Ele at level 17. Within minutes he was soloing 4 level 19 mobs at a time in Stormhold Keep - barely even needing to touch his Bloom/Flourish emergency heals and that was all despite (honestly) not making the best use of the tools. He still has a fair bit to learn... you can do, frankly, amazing things with this build.

A Chloro/Necro mix can be made to work too - I did this fairly extensively during Beta 6. There are some interesting casting mixes that you can make - particularly at higher levels. You're quite flexible in terms of how much you lean toward Chloro casting which lets you adjust your play very well to the particular content you're going up against. So when you don't need the extra survivability, you just let up on Lifegiving Veil nukes and push more to the Necro (and possibly Lock) side.

For my money - and even taking into account the changes since made to the Ele tree/pets - the Chloro/Ele is still the absolute beast for soloing anything it comes across. I tried both extensively around the early- to late-30s during beta, and the Chloro/Ele won out for me.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 03-06-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Closed Thread