+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Void Bolt Vs. Plague bolt and WHY?

Default Void Bolt Vs. Plague bolt and WHY?

Ok so its the age old question "which nuke do I use ?"I vote plague bolt because the dmg stacks with more callings but void bolt hits harder and faster right oiff the bat.BUT when u get grave rot then use plague bolt that to me makes plague better because now ur pet is kickin some butt as well.Anyway gimme ur opinions.

ryk
    Soulwalker

void bolt because it's faster = more charge = more soul purge

Plague bolt does increase pet damage, but majority of your damage comes from you. Unless you are using a DPS pet (not recommended for leveling) then the pet is there as a meat shield. Since Void Bolt increases your damage it's best to go with that.

In a nutshell: Your damage > pet's damage, so increase your damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruran View Post
    Plague bolt does increase pet damage, but majority of your damage comes from you. Unless you are using a DPS pet (not recommended for leveling) then the pet is there as a meat shield. Since Void Bolt increases your damage it's best to go with that.

In a nutshell: Your damage > pet's damage, so increase your damage.
    I level with my zealot. Doubt I'm the only one either.

I prefer PB, keeping max stacks up is important to me- particularly in PVP where Grave Rot isn't as reliable for applying stacks.

Plague bolt also buffs it's damage for up to 25% with deathly calling stacks if you take the 1st tier talent. Didn't ever check if it's worth it dps wise as I cba to parse before 50.

Quote Originally Posted by lafinass View Post
    I level with my zealot. Doubt I'm the only one either.

I prefer PB, keeping max stacks up is important to me- particularly in PVP where Grave Rot isn't as reliable for applying stacks.
    Even with Zealot, though, i doubt the plague bolt adds enough stacks to override the charge gain from Void Bolt. I personally find most of my damage coming from Soul Purge, and getting there faster would only increase my damage.

Once you have grave rot, grave rot applies deathly calling better than improved plague bolts, even against single targets. It's an instant cast and it applies 6 stacks and does more damage per-cast than either bolt. Time isn't an issue because it would take 6 seconds to cast 3 plague bolts anyways. The only advantage improved plague bolts have is if you use it as your fight starter you can start off with 2 stacks right away instead of 1. Is this worth 5 talent points?

Even after maxing deathly calling stacks, improved void bolts are more DPS and more charge per second than improved plague bolts, and for less talent points.

Rift Disciple

Use graverot, i normally fall asleep waiting for plague bolt to cast.

Void bolt is great

Ascendant

most definitely void bolt and to hell with plague bolt, it does such low damage even the boost from full deathly calling wont make it hurt as much as void bolt. just go for the 5% boost to death damage instead of the plague booster and use grave rot for deathly calling, most of the extra damage on pet skills comes form necrosis and looming demise anyway (for zealot anyway) only time deathly calling is handy is when you've got all 5 on.

Basically don't waste your time with plague bolt, nec damage from spells is low enough without wasting your time using plague bolt

General of Telara

Until they fix the accidental(?) nerf to Plague Bolt, DEFINITELY go with Void Bolt, especially at intermediate levels and in the end game when you start getting enough spell power to matter.

For some weird reason which is beyond me, they nerfed Plague Bolt's already modest spell power coefficient, but left Void Bolt's very, very high spell power coefficient alone. Void Bolt has a 40% spell power coefficient for a 1.5 s cast; that's pretty insane.

Frankly, I think that someone read the memo wrong and accidentally substituted "Plague Bolt" for "Void Bolt"

the main point is Plague bolt base is way worse than Void Bolt.

Once traited Plague bolt is nice...but Void Bolt gets 1.5 second casting. THe main point is now you get 25% damage when the target has 5 deathly callings on it. Lets compare the two:

I'll use both rank 1 and rank 10 to show just in case there is better scaling for one than the other. Plague Bolt 2 is considering if you have 25% bonus from deathly calling stacks.

Rank 1:

Void Bolt: 18-20, avg: 19
    Plague Bolt: 13-15, avg: 14
    Plague Bolt 2: 16.25-18.75 avg: 17.5 Remember rift rounds up and down so its really 16~19 avg: 17.5 aka 18.

Rank 10:
    Void Bolt: 97-101 avg: 99
    Plague Bolt: 73-76 avg: 74.5 aka 75.
    Plague Bolt 2: 91.25-95 avg 93.125 aka 93

So in terms of damage with deathly calling plague bolt does ALMOST the same damage. But since void bolt has a quicker cast time it is still superior. Now I'd say it would be still be a decent idea to start the combat with a traited plague bolt shot to start combat out with 2 stacks. Then you can easily work with graverot to max it out for any pet abilities.

The main reason for wanting as many stacks of DC as possible is one thing: Revenant.

Revenant uses DC stacks very quickly and any enemy in range that does not have DC will not be damaged and debuffed with ruination. How does Plague bolt help this? Well it at least assures the main target, or a few if you rotate between them, have enough stacks. Revenant can do amazing aoe damage when 3+ mobs are affected by Necrosis. Other than that graverot should give enough DC stacks to make you not need to many for pets who consume stacks.

I use graverot because Knights aoe consumes 1 per enemy aggro'd, therefore I need aoe DC...therefore I need to use graverot
    the PTS exists for a reason people. Go on, give your feedback, and help make RIFT a better game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wallweasels View Post
    the main point is Plague bolt base is way worse than Void Bolt.

Once traited Plague bolt is nice...but Void Bolt gets 1.5 second casting. THe main point is now you get 25% damage when the target has 5 deathly callings on it. Lets compare the two:

I'll use both rank 1 and rank 10 to show just in case there is better scaling for one than the other. Plague Bolt 2 is considering if you have 25% bonus from deathly calling stacks.

Rank 1:

Void Bolt: 18-20, avg: 19
    Plague Bolt: 13-15, avg: 14
    Plague Bolt 2: 16.25-18.75 avg: 17.5 Remember rift rounds up and down so its really 16~19 avg: 17.5 aka 18.

Rank 10:
    Void Bolt: 97-101 avg: 99
    Plague Bolt: 73-76 avg: 74.5 aka 75.
    Plague Bolt 2: 91.25-95 avg 93.125 aka 93

So in terms of damage with deathly calling plague bolt does ALMOST the same damage. But since void bolt has a quicker cast time it is still superior. Now I'd say it would be still be a decent idea to start the combat with a traited plague bolt shot to start combat out with 2 stacks. Then you can easily work with graverot to max it out for any pet abilities.

The main reason for wanting as many stacks of DC as possible is one thing: Revenant.

Revenant uses DC stacks very quickly and any enemy in range that does not have DC will not be damaged and debuffed with ruination. How does Plague bolt help this? Well it at least assures the main target, or a few if you rotate between them, have enough stacks. Revenant can do amazing aoe damage when 3+ mobs are affected by Necrosis. Other than that graverot should give enough DC stacks to make you not need to many for pets who consume stacks.

I use graverot because Knights aoe consumes 1 per enemy aggro'd, therefore I need aoe DC...therefore I need to use graverot
    yes... revenant does insane dmg in warfront with bunch of people chasing after the fang....who cares a pet nuking ae on them , lol

+ Reply to Thread