• 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Geph
  • 1 Post By Geph

Thread: Getting Started at 70 Inquisitor DPS

Soulwalker

Default Getting Started at 70 Inquisitor DPS

Hello everyone;

Let me start by giving a bit of background about myself, I came back to the game a few months ago, I have not been on since lvl 50 was the cap and stopped playing shortly after Greenscale was released (I also ran a Warden and Tank back then), long before the first DDoS attacks. Since coming back I have been enjoying the game a lot more, the 70 grind was not that bad as a true F2P, took about a week.

So here is my question,

Is inquisitor a viable spec for raid?
    I currently have all the 1000 intel gear from the merchant (all upgraded), and got the T2 belt from the Yule event (needs upgrade). I have my Chon Wand, and Helm, both need upgrades yet. Eternal Wep is at the 25 SPE stage, other two stages of quest are done. Dream orb on helm and belt. Rune on legs. Have the Skygem seal (need upgrade/ no rune). Have one VP ring (needs upgrade), crafted ring, crafted neck, green drop ears. My trinket is trash, a lvl 60 blue crafted one. I have the learned focus and have the vendor essences socketed in all slots.

Currently in DRR, QF and VP zone events I run about 350K or better, using simple meter to parse. And I was using the standard spec for Netherpriest in the soul tree.

I put together this build last night, server is down today and have not been able to try it out yet. But, stats are 50k SP with about 25K Wis and 27% crit and 7% crit power. Almost 10K SP over the other build and lost 1.3% crit while Crit Power is unchanged and Wis dipped to 23.5K.

Link to build here https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#...lkBh0/!9g|TKXg

Should I stay with the 10% SP gain or go with the 5% damage gain?

My plan is to maintain Inscribe Fate on the target at all times with Spiritual Deficiency for a 27% gain to damage, macro in Crushing Blow with Bolt of Retribution for a 40% gain every 12 seconds. Vex and Sanction Heretic are bound in talents, so cast them, then scourge, then back to bolt spam and when Bolt of Depravity procs (Life and Death Concord) cast it. For burst damage I have macro set to cast Fanaticism first followed by Aggressive Inquisition then Nysyr's Rebuke. I hope that the proc from Fanaticism will be granted on all the bolts from Aggressive Inquisition. I have not tested this yet. I then follow that with Harsh Discipline and Soul Stream. Then reset the CD's with Radical Coalescence and repeat the channel spam.

When I have to AoE I plan to use Soul Drain and spam Runefall as it has more base damage over the same amount of time as Circle of Oblivion. Or swap to Cabalist if I can.

Is this viable? Is there anything I should add or take away? Any pointers on gear or what I should be grinding now? Been looking at CadRift, but beyond it, there is little information on the current game out there. A lot has changed since it was a lvl 50 game and finding everything I should get gear wise is still hit and miss here. Still a noob, lol.

Big thanks in advance for any advice you all have to offer.

When server comes up I plan to play with this build and see if I can clear 350K or if GCD is going to kill me.

Telaran

You likely would do a bit more overall with 10 Druid that shaman

350k dps is a bit ( read a lot) low for the more challenging raids which is anything beyond tdez.
    Finishing that eternal would greatly benefit you and that means knocking out those spe’s rather than worrying about a raid.

Here are some suggestions for starter specs

Inquisitor easy mode
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-shammies.html

Normal inquisitior
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...nquisitor.html

Shaman 2-button older spec but still mostly valid
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...2-buttons.html

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by beefy1212 View Post
    You likely would do a bit more overall with 10 Druid that shaman

350k dps is a bit ( read a lot) low for the more challenging raids which is anything beyond tdez.
    Finishing that eternal would greatly benefit you and that means knocking out those spe’s rather than worrying about a raid.

Here are some suggestions for starter specs

Inquisitor easy mode
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-shammies.html

Normal inquisitior
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...nquisitor.html

Shaman 2-button older spec but still mostly valid
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...2-buttons.html

I did play around with the build I listed, last night in DRR. I was getting 350 consistently but did not see the spike I had hoped for. I like both the builds you listed and think I am going to give the second a go this evening. Macros and rotation seem to be similar to what I have now, so should be a fairly easy swap to make and get used to.Yeah SPE is the thing I plan to work on the hardest at this point. I found a good guild and now have the ability to get a decent group that can teach me the fights. First few entries were way beyond desirable, using LFG.

I also plan to add Oracle in to my Shaman spec, now that I look at it, I feel kinda dumb for not making the connection and adding the soul to my tree already.

My goal is to hit 500k+ prior to going into raid. So more VP dailies and SPE runs.

Thank you for your help and for replying to this thread, greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know where a decent 70 starter trinket drops? Still using a lvl 60 rare quality crafted trinket. I know that is robbing my stats the most out of all my equipment.

Dungeons and T1 irotp General Silgen randomy drop some.
    Just do your Vp Sotryline and daylies and you wil eventually be able to buy the curent best in slot one right away (Gaze of Omnox)

Hierosolyma | Katane | Azuren | Jeru | Syenn | Shas | Shaslol | Shastroll

Soulwalker

First off I would like to thank Beefy1212 and Shas for your help.

I did try out the second spec you mentioned and I did see some DPS gains. On Hex in QF I managed to hold 403K ish for the encounter, rock pull. So was able to keep melee buffs up with ease (I did mess up rotation once) and did notice a live dps spike of 980k something during the channel spam, with all buffs I could have active.

I added gadgets and gadgets buffs to my addons, reason was for the debuff and buff counters that I can position and scale, made it easier to keep focus and not overwrite live dot's, debuffs and buffs.

Gadgets can be found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...n-gadgets.html

I did a search on riftui and found gadgets buffs here: https://www.riftui.com/downloads/inf...getsBuffs.html

Have them both loaded and no issues, I know gadgets buffs looks to be a dated file, but again on my system I have no issues.

I did complete Maze of Steel three days ago as of this post. I was mostly avoiding it, because I had struggled so bad with it in crap gear and did not see a point in doing it when I had better pants lol. Then I noticed on Cadrift that this was the reason I could not find the daily guys for Utilla. Half way through honored now. So will have a trinket soon.

Telaran

Glad to hear it is working for you, that trinket and getting your eternal to at least the first blue stage will likely get you to near 1m dps.

You may want to volunteer for all the EOA runs you can find, a full set of eoa gear with 1-2 hit pieces from IROTP is enough to enter BOS (final tier raid) if your frags are on point.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by beefy1212 View Post
    Glad to hear it is working for you, that trinket and getting your eternal to at least the first blue stage will likely get you to near 1m dps.

You may want to volunteer for all the EOA runs you can find, a full set of eoa gear with 1-2 hit pieces from IROTP is enough to enter BOS (final tier raid) if your frags are on point.
    Thanks again for the advice. So today before this last crash, I did the VP event, watched my rotation, buffs and debuffs carefully and hit 519K overall for encounter. That is with the second build you mentioned. Can't tell you how happy I am that I made a post and asked for help.

Cheers

Red face

519k will translate into 600k+ in raids and is fine to join T1 with (careful with less than 250k hp tho)

There frequently are geared lazy people pulling 600 in T1 and even T2 pugs so no reason to not take you along ;D

Soulwalker

One more quick question; in the shaman build that was linked, I see that the build requires 5 points in Oracle and 10 in Druid. I get that the 10% to instants is big, but even with legendary Insignia of Blood I never see the proc from Inspiration of Battle, will it proc when Insignia of Blood procs? I haven't done any math on it yet, but seems to me that going 10 in Oracle for 10% spell power and 5% damage, with Wasting Insignia allowing me another DoT (not a very big one) and a 1% crit gain and 2500 AP/SP raid wide would be a better build and have the same dps.

I am using Gadgets: buffs, KBM and Kalerts and none of them show Inspiration of Battle going off. Although the rift bound buff bar shows that Inspiration is present waiting on a reactive, I just never see the buff from it, even if I open character tab and check. I do however see Insignia of Blood go off and can see the damage from it in rift meter, just no reactive buff from Inspiration. Is it a bug or is it like the tool tip and it has to be cast and does not react from a proc on the legendary ability?

When I go with the ten point Oracle build I can see it proc every time I cast Wasting Insignia and can easily maintain it for the duration of a fight.

Any ideas on which is best? I did look at another build where they swapped in Runeshaper for legendary Inscribe Fate for the 15% damage bonus that can be maintained for the fight and the DoT damage from Inscribe as well. And getting the 10 point damage bonuses from Druid, Eruption of Life, and an extra shield as well as Combined Effort. Almost seems I am answering my own question after I read all the bonuses on this last build, lol.

But seriously, I am not sure which would be best for raid. In the mean time, I'll give them each a try in VP doing dailies to see which best fits my play style and is the easiest to keep rotation going and getting the best dps I can.

I did settle into the Inquisitor build and have seen a big jump in dps, but I would like a good melee spec as well to be more versatile in raid.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IvanGrozny View Post
    One more quick question; in the shaman build that was linked, I see that the build requires 5 points in Oracle and 10 in Druid. I get that the 10% to instants is big, but even with legendary Insignia of Blood I never see the proc from Inspiration of Battle, will it proc when Insignia of Blood procs? I haven't done any math on it yet, but seems to me that going 10 in Oracle for 10% spell power and 5% damage, with Wasting Insignia allowing me another DoT (not a very big one) and a 1% crit gain and 2500 AP/SP raid wide would be a better build and have the same dps.
    You can see Legendary Insignia of Blood like a passive buff such as Shroud of Agony. Passive buffs do not cout as *casts*.
    Inspirations will be applied by *casting* Insignias. Just proccing them will not.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanGrozny View Post

But seriously, I am not sure which would be best for raid. In the mean time, I'll give them each a try in VP doing dailies to see which best fits my play style and is the easiest to keep rotation going and getting the best dps I can.
    10 Druid/5 Oracle, 10 Druid/5Runeshaper and 15 Druid/0 Sentinel are almost dead even on a 5 minute parse.

Here are Pro's and cons:

Insignia:
    +Pasive Proccs
    +Less things to watch out for
    -Ninjapulling grandmaster since 4.0 (Certain buffs can procc it)
    -Loses dps on downphases since it's damage comes from frequent ticks (target swap or waiting will lower it's effect)

Inscribe Fate & Bolt of Light
    +15% damage taken on the target will double scale on Brutalize and Glacial Brutality
    +(0 Sentinel Healing Breath saved people from dieing many times, and is very handy on daylies/also BoL version = free to play)
    +15% debuff can be applied while the target is immune/ far away (transferdmg)
    -Extra steps to maintain the 15% debuff
    -15% debuff needs to be applied on every new target
    -Non-melee attacks will not lower the cd of Massive Blow

conclusion: The IoB version is strong&easy but will fall behind the other ones in Raids. It's totally fine tho.
    The 15% debuff versions will burst significantly higher in raids and can deal with segmented fight a littlebit better, require a little more attention to use effectively tho.

-> The 15% versions are a littlebit more sweaty but they were made before the Inq buff. Inquisitor surpasses Shaman in almost all st dps situations now, which makes Shaman 3rd choice for st dps.
    But it's easy and flexible with great aoe and default runspeed.
    All 3 variants are defenitly a good choice for RR & Dungeons.

When you want to try something fresh on pure st+melee fights (itrop 2&3), give Druid a shot!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-61-druid.html
    Last edited by Shas; 02-02-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Telaran

Default Raid Preparation

Fixating on any particular spec for raid purposes is a mistake. This is because serious raid groups will want you to have several viable specs depending on the fight and the overall raid makeup. A player who comes in planning to play only one spec is probably not going to get invited back. For every class there are several specs you will eventually need to know and different raid groups sometimes use slightly different raid setups.

As someone new to the raid, you are going to be undergeared and will have to be taught mechanics. This means the raid leader is going to have to take extra time and effort to fit you into the raid. Besides teaching you mechanics that everyone else likely already knows, the raid leader also has to find a role in the raid that you can most effectively fill.

As you will be undergeared, your dps is likely going to be low. So you will often be asked to fill one of several niche roles. These include the following: archon(mage), pseudo support (primalist), chantion(warrior), aoe heals (any). Knowing and being willing to take on one of these roles shows that you are a team player and have done the homework necessary to maximize your contribution despite being new and inexperienced. This makes it easier for the raid leader to fit you into the raid and it also shows that you are committed and making an effort to contribute what you can.

As someone new to the raid, you are going to essentially be carried a bit; if for no other reason than that you don't know the mechanics. However, a decent raid leader will see this as an investment in a potential future core raider if you have the right attitude and preparation.

To make raid leaders WANT to take the extra time and effort needed to bring you along, you should do everything you can to make taking you along easier on the raid leader. To that end, you should a) be polite, b) be prepared, c) be flexible, d) be willing to listen and learn what you are offered.

Instead of focusing on a particular spec, you should be concentrating on the following:
    1) getting your eternal weapon finished
    2) upgrading your fragments and/or focus to hit the crit power cap
    3) learning raiding fundamentals, including interrupts and cleansing
    4) having several voicechat programs available so you can communicate if you get into a group using whatever software they are using.
    5) having a damage meter and kalerts set up so that you are ready to raid

Telaran

Default Raid Preparation

Oh...forgot to mention what is probably the most important thing:
    relationships

The best way to be successful at something is to surround yourself with people who are already successful at it. The best way to get good is to hang out with people who are already good.

If you want to raid, the single most important thing you can do is strike up a friendship with a couple people already involved in a successful raid guild. Raiding is a team sport and a mediocre player with a good team is going to see a lot more success than an excellent player who is constantly forced to raid with random people. The weakest player in a top raid guild is often a much stronger player than the best player in a poor guild. Poor guilds do very little to teach or assist their members and what they teach is often incomplete or inaccurate. Top guilds are comprised of people who already know what they are doing and they make an effort to teach and educate their membership.

A strong raid guild can help you in so many ways....so much so that someone brand new to the game who gets a spot with a decent guild and uses those resources effectively will in just a couple weeks likely surpass people who have been playing the game for months or even years.

Soulwalker

Sorry, been busy with gearing up and have not been back for a few weeks to check for replies. But I have to say Geph you are on point with everything you said. Currently I have gotten all my gear to T1 lvl, have my wep up to the TD stage (finished spe's last night). Crafted wand and helm are at stage 3 of upgrades, I was schooled by some guildmates on fragments and now have 5k CP, I have also upgraded all of my essences, applied runes to most of my equipment and just made a general overhaul of my toon.
    I did get two main dps specs going now, Inq and Shammy, for ranged and melee dps as needed in raid. I also have a warden spec that I built and have a lot of experience with in QF and zone events and really like to play and feel I do well at (when I previously played I was cleric tank or warden heals, that was back at the 50 cap days) and feel comfortable playing. I have explored some Oracle based support builds and have messed with them, but nothing too serious at this point. Lastly I have a MT spec, focused on endurance, armor, block, guard (in that order) as well as interupts and ohh **** buffs.
    I bought all 5 synergy crystals, I do have a cabalist and sentinel build as well, but they have seen less play then the oracle. I do have a tank and heal/dps seal as well as both focuses. I use the roles add on to manage role swap, have KBM and Karuul alerts, as well as rift meter and 3 UI saves with alerts for buff/debuff timers for the three roles I mainly play.
    On the dummy I am hitting 600k consistently with shammy and 555K (roughly) on the Inquis.
    Other than that I have been running VP dailies, 30k from trinket now, DRR's, SPE's, two TDez (with guild). Been watching youtube for an idea of the fights (why does no one give explanations instead of just video taping the fight?) and have Discord, Vent and TS ready to go.
    Also one final question, anyone have a link to a good ST raid heal build, my build is self created and I would venture to say not completely optimal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wink

Nice to read that you are having a great time.

Unfortunately you shouldn't expect to st heal anytime soon.

If ever, 54-61 Purifier surely is your best bet. I'm runnig a 61 Sentinel for the sole reason that htere is a daily quest to heal some npc's and for nothing else.

Problem is that Cleric st heals either heal Or shield. Both jobs are separated and not even competitive in theyr field.

Aoe heals amped up by so much in numbers and speed, that you hardly ever need a dedicated tank healer anywhere.
    Chloro Lifebound Veil for example is worse for tankheal than Lifegiving Veil.

Cleric haels in general are very slow ticking which makes them simply not good enough for today's demands. Warden is alot of fun but the hots tick fairly slow and it's a 1.5 sec gcd.

The healing meta shifted from strong hitting and well timed heals to -as many ticks/ second as possible- as every tick gets free base healing, making even the worst spells viable.

(Imagine putting up a net as wide as possible for more morning dew to catch on, giving the Eternal etc as many options to attach to as possible with usually tiny&****ty spells - which is pretty much what Defiheal is doing)

The second meta is having swiss knifes in the 10 man raids. Idealy your healing spec does something besides healing. Shielding, damage, offtanking, support buffs.
    61Warden ONLY heals and it does that mediocre even if i hate to say it as former Warden main myself.
    You can still carry your people to victory on Warden if you choose so. Don't let that distant you from prooving everyone wrong! Just expect it to be multiple times more complicated and demanding than it's alternatives.

If you want aoe dps, try Legendary Fervent Strike (Druid) with Legendary Hammer of Faith (41 Justicar). Yes Justicar now is a ranged onebutton. Sorry

For Raid guides, interesting that you mention it - there really is no TDNM video explanation.
    Last edited by Shas; 02-02-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Telaran

Default Starting out in Raiding

Your best bet for getting in to raiding once you are ready is to hook up with a group that knows what they are doing. Video guides are great if your whole raid is new to the experience, but much better is to go along with a group that is already clearing the content and willing to teach.

Same thing goes for specs and rotations. There is no substitute for direct tutoring. If you want to learn how to do something in game, find someone who is already doing it and doing it well. Politely ask them for tips or pointers or even full on instruction. Be prepared for them to say no or not now. Eventually you will find a group of people who have already been down the road you are on and can show you the easiest path to get where you want to go.

+ Reply to Thread