+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tanking equipment question

Soulwalker

Default tanking equipment question

been dps all the way till now and am considering a tanking spec if only to see if I cant put together some expert dungeon runs. Looking at all the tanks I come across almost no one uses a shield so am wondering about equipment setup and if anything below should be changed. seems like guard is the only thing I can really work on as switching to use a shield from the eternal would kill a ton of stats so block appears like pretty useless skill to aim for

I have 4 lessers from DRR with guard bonuses, working on getting 2 more but have 2 others to slot in with guard

set of planar fragments all with guard bonuses

all vostigar veteran gear , some upgraded some not, doesnt look like any guard bonuses

all vostigar jewelry, doesnt look like any guard bonuses

seal haven't got one with guard yet but can

one other accessory which I forget that has not been upgraded yet as I am waiting for revered notoriety to get but can temporarily get one with guard

thanks

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zapdafish View Post
    Looking at all the tanks I come across almost no one uses a shield so am wondering about equipment setup and if anything below should be changed. seems like guard is the only thing I can really work on as switching to use a shield from the eternal would kill a ton of stats so block appears like pretty useless skill to aim for
    Only 2 of the 5 classes CAN use a shield. If your class can use a shield, you SHOULD use a shield when tanking. Your eternal weapon should be upgraded to the last purple stage, then you will get a quest that will reward you with a weapon and shield of ETERNAL quality, so you do not have to use a crappy blue. The shield-less warrior and cleric tanks you see running around, they most likely outgear the content and don't really need it to stay alive.

If your class can not use a shield, no worries. Use your eternal weapon and you will do fine. As for stats on gear, there is a reason why you do not have any Guard stats on your armor. You simply can not get it on those items now, so don't worry about it.

Shadowlander

You already have enough gear for SPE's, just need to start practicing.

For expert dungeons, you don't even need a Real Tank Build(tm) - there are lots of self-healing/party-healing, speed running, tank+support hybrids for each class that are more useful, since nothing in SPE's hits hard. Four dps plus a pseudo-tank-w-healing, for the few times you need to hold aggro and spot heal, is much faster. While you are learning, you might need a dedicated healer, depending on class. You only need a real tank for parts of LFR/T1 and above.

Shield is class-specific; Warriors and Clerics (semi-optionally) use shields; mages, rogues and primalists do not. Clerics before @T1 raiding may get by with offhand tanking totems or even staves, but eventually will need a shield.

Guard is generally pretty easy to max (around 10.5%) with a couple lessers and fragments, and will not be a significant issue. Guard shields the party from taking some damage: In the few PoA encounters where the party even takes any damage, healers can shield/over-heal far more effectively than you can guard. While guard is valuable for a few encounters, it's just not that important in PoA (more necessary if you want to run old content with more varied mechanics and party strategy).

Max endurance (health) is much more important, and trading almost anything for more health is usually the right choice.

The most expensive part of tanking is usually a second planar fragment set, which you need for T1 and above.

The hardest tanking in the game (for practice, before T1) is Cracking Xarth's Skull.
    Last edited by Guy Noir; 11-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread