+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Recently returned to RIFT, is Cleric DPS acceptable for raiding?

Soulwalker

Question Recently returned to RIFT, is Cleric DPS acceptable for raiding?

I was an original player from the start of RIFT, and my main is a cleric. I never had a talent for tanking or healing, though, and have always been DPS (in any MMO I've played really). I was able to do this through Greenscale's Blight, River of Souls, Gilded Prophecy, Drowned Souls, and the first half of Hammerknell (which is around the time I originally left the game).

I'm good at learning fights and mechanics and am a solid player all around with over 30 years of gaming experience and 16 years of MMO experience. Given all this, are clerics viable DPS in raiding? I've just seen and heard so many conflicting reports and would like the definitive answer. Thanks!
    Last edited by The Game Dyke; 08-08-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Isp
    Champion

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ic-discussion/ would be much better place for your question.

Right now top dps classes are primalists and rogues, in order to raid you need to finish eternal grind (unless somebody will carry you thru raids). Eternal grind take very long time and FOTM will change many times before you will finish it.
    Last edited by Isp; 08-08-2017 at 06:03 AM.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

All classes are viable for raids, but you need to be spec certain to be eligible entering one. Right now rogues have more variety to choose from to raid, but only few are the best, primalists only have a few as well, mages have about 3 and clerics only two (shaman and inqisuitor, sshould have probably said DPS wise my bad <,<)

And to add further notes, you D-O-N-T need eternals to raid, yes it makes it hell alot easier healing dpsing etc, but its not a must. You can easily join an irotp raid run with no eternal and still hit the requirments (which for some classes requires waay more gear grinding from previous raids than others to meet the same requirments, ask Keyens why)
    Last edited by Semiso; 08-08-2017 at 03:57 AM.

Isp
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Semiso View Post
    All classes are viable for raids, but you need to be spec certain to be eligible entering one. Right now rogues have more variety to choose from to raid, but only few are the best, primalists only have a few as well, mages have about 3 and clerics only two (shaman and inqisuitor, sshould have probably said DPS wise my bad <,<)

And to add further notes, you D-O-N-T need eternals to raid, yes it makes it hell alot easier healing dpsing etc, but its not a must. You can easily join an irotp raid run with no eternal and still hit the requirments (which for some classes requires waay more gear grinding from previous raids than others to meet the same requirments, ask Keyens why)
    Yes, you don't need eternal, but raid of players which get 2.2k hit ASAP after hitting 70 would not go far even in IRotP, not talking about TD. You need good fragments, essences, gear upgrades - you'll get all this during eternal grind. Ofc fully geared raid could carry undergeared player, but if you need to carry out your weight you need to be geared, especially cleric dps.
    New player? Apply code TD2TGJH9WGYYLEGC2EMJ or use the link for some free stuff.

Default Let's answer your question...

YES.....clerics can be acceptable DPS. No talk of other callings....IMHO, a cleric Shammy is your answer in a dps cleric class. I've got a Primalist main, which I love.....my second choice in my Shaman. These are only my choices, nothing more. Google the different class for builds and custom one that you like. Good luck in your search......

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    YES.....clerics can be acceptable DPS. No talk of other callings....IMHO, a cleric Shammy is your answer in a dps cleric class. I've got a Primalist main, which I love.....my second choice in my Shaman. These are only my choices, nothing more. Google the different class for builds and custom one that you like. Good luck in your search......

Low gear / Low CP inquisitor is better than shaman and it scale better in raid. I would say you need around 35% CP to make shaman worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Game Dyke View Post
    I was an original player from the start of RIFT, and my main is a cleric. I never had a talent for tanking or healing, though, and have always been DPS (in any MMO I've played really). I was able to do this through Greenscale's Blight, River of Souls, Gilded Prophecy, Drowned Souls, and the first half of Hammerknell (which is around the time I originally left the game).

I'm good at learning fights and mechanics and am a solid player all around with over 30 years of gaming experience and 16 years of MMO experience. Given all this, are clerics viable DPS in raiding? I've just seen and heard so many conflicting reports and would like the definitive answer. Thanks!
    As for all specs and classes in the game, if you are a good player and learn the proper rotations, then you will be competitive.. I have seen some clerics do really good dps using Inquis and some even using shammy. I would work on your eternal weapon grind, since gear will play a good part into the dps as will knowing your class. I am sure there are other specs out there doing well too. Best of Luck.
    OneButton (soon to be a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "If my life is for rent. And I don't learn to buy. Well I deserve nothing more than I get. 'Cause nothing I have is truly mine!"

Plane Touched

Default No- not for DPS. AOE Heals maybe

No. Cleric took a monumental nerf. It is not worth the aggravation to level and spec it out just to be outdone- *every time* by a Primalist or Rogue, or one shotted in pvp by the same. The Warden AOE heals are OK. But tank heals like Puri used to do- not anymore. If you return- make a rogue or a primalist. I have told returning members of my guild this. One officer made a primi and has not touched his cleric in months. He used to be top dps on his Inquisitor- but his Primi blows it out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Andracleric View Post
    No. Cleric took a monumental nerf. It is not worth the aggravation to level and spec it out just to be outdone- *every time* by a Primalist or Rogue, or one shotted in pvp by the same. The Warden AOE heals are OK. But tank heals like Puri used to do- not anymore. If you return- make a rogue or a primalist. I have told returning members of my guild this. One officer made a primi and has not touched his cleric in months. He used to be top dps on his Inquisitor- but his Primi blows it out of the water.

Cleric are really good DPS if you have high CP. And there is fewer clerics than rogue / prima. So it's easier to get in a raid.

Clerics are the lowest dps of all classes at this point, given equal levels of gear and ability. However, they aren't so far behind that they are unacceptable in raiding. What it does mean is that you need to get your gear much further along than other classes to do comparable damage and contribute on an equal level.

The biggest difference is in burst dps. Other classes can open a fight with huge burst dps, where clerics don't have that. Clerics need to get their buffs built up to get to their peak dps. Other classes can set it up ahead of time or use cooldowns right out of the gate. So, the dps meter-watchers will make you feel very inadequate.

If you run into this, try resetting the meter 60 seconds into the fight, you'll notice that you do similar dps to other classes (except Primalist) in sustained mode.

Cabalist, Defiler, and Oracle are complete crap, and nobody uses them to raid outside of a one-boss special here and there, although I hear Cabalist has some control abilities which gives you an advantage in PvP. Now that conquest is gone, I don't do much PvP.

The saddest part is that Clerics are no longer sought after as healers in raids or in PvP. Other classes all do better healing, or (at least) the same heals with more dps. The only time you'll be asked to heal is when your dps is at the bottom of the group, and they know the other healer can switch souls and out-dps you.

That being said, the game is decent, the community is relatively healthy and non-toxic, and there are lots of guilds that are looking for mature players who have the patience to work at progression.

Welcome back, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelani View Post

The biggest difference is in burst dps. Other classes can open a fight with huge burst dps, where clerics don't have that. Clerics need to get their buffs built up to get to their peak dps. Other classes can set it up ahead of time or use cooldowns right out of the gate. So, the dps meter-watchers will make you feel very inadequate.
    Wut

Clerics have one of the best bursts in game, possibly competitive with tempest right behind primalist.

The one class that i know of that needs a build up to peak their dps is rogues and their nightblade burst (it takes about 5-8 secs to build up and additional 6 secs to finish gettin to the peak).

Shaman for an example that has a buff which reduces their GCD by or to 0,5. That is waay less build up time than rogue and warriors (you only apply fervent strike + one more off soul dmg buff and x2 icy blow i believe?)

Inquisitor and their burst dmg is the most notable one, mostly because of their 2 min cd cooldown.

Wut

Clerics have one of the best bursts in game, possibly competitive with tempest right behind primalist.

The one class that i know of that needs a build up to peak their dps is rogues and their nightblade burst (it takes about 5-8 secs to build up and additional 6 secs to finish gettin to the peak).

Shaman for an example that has a buff which reduces their GCD by or to 0,5. That is waay less build up time than rogue and warriors (you only apply fervent strike + one more off soul dmg buff and x2 icy blow i believe?)

Inquisitor and their burst dmg is the most notable one, mostly because of their 2 min cd cooldown.
    Just watch your dps meter on any boss in any dungeon.
    Check who's on top after the first 20 seconds of a fight.
    It won't be a Cleric.
    Ever.

Just watch your dps meter on any boss in any dungeon.
    Check who's on top after the first 20 seconds of a fight.
    It won't be a Cleric.
    Ever.
    Well thats depressing

Also we're talking about burst, not consistent dps.

Well thats depressing
    Also we're talking about burst, not consistent dps.
    Maybe we have different definitions of "burst"?
    Many raid leaders use dps meters to judge performance. (right or wrong)
    Most raid bosses have mechanics which force people to break their rotations and run around.

As a result, a class that can open the floodgates and deliver 1.5M to 2M dps in their opening salvo will wind up with a much higher average dps by the middle or end of the fight. That's how I'm using the word "burst". The initial burst of damage that can be generated in the first 20-40 seconds of a fight by popping all cooldowns and firing on all cylinders.

Clerics will never look good on a dps meter for most boss fights... and certainly not early on.
    Resetting the meters after about 45 seconds will give you a much better idea of how they compare at sustained damage. However, the other classes still do more dps overall because of that initial burst (or surge) that they can generate early on in the fight, when there are fewer mechanics to avoid.
    Last edited by Kaelani; 08-08-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Maybe we have different definitions of "burst"?
    Many raid leaders use dps meters to judge performance. (right or wrong)
    Most raid bosses have mechanics which force people to break their rotations and run around.

As a result, a class that can open the floodgates and deliver 1.5M to 2M dps in their opening salvo will wind up with a much higher average dps by the middle or end of the fight. That's how I'm using the word "burst". The initial burst of damage that can be generated in the first 20-40 seconds of a fight by popping all cooldowns and firing on all cylinders.

Clerics will never look good on a dps meter for most boss fights... and certainly not early on.
    Resetting the meters after about 45 seconds will give you a much better idea of how they compare at sustained damage. However, the other classes still do more dps overall because of that initial burst (or surge) that they can generate early on in the fight, when there are fewer mechanics to avoid.
    Ahhh....... i see what you mean was being drunk or pleb or something earlier

Nah i meant the opening burst that clerics are OP at, throughout the fight afterwards they're rip.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast