+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By FierceDeityy
  • 1 Post By Refuge
  • 1 Post By FierceDeityy
  • 1 Post By Orochan
  • 1 Post By Gharn

Thread: Can clerics get some pvp attention?

Question Can clerics get some pvp attention?

Playing dps cleric in pvp is atrocious, all high damage specs need some sort of gcd locked debuff to do reasonable damage to your target. This limits cleric builds to uncreative % damage buffing legendaries, and has a ridiculous start up time. For example shaman needs 4 gcds to get fully ramped up, and thats just to start doing good damage. keeping up buffs is one thing but having to cast incsribe fate/bolt of light on every new target is a huge detriment whereas a bladedancer can hit you for 80k in each of those gcds. it feels really unfair when a paragon or sin jump on you, and instead of standing toe to toe as another melee dps you get instantly blown up because of the way clerics have been designed this xpac. And this doesnt even address our severe lack of utility, assassin gets 2 stuns on a 30s timer, harbs 15s, dervish and paragon have one as well readily available that isnt tied to your biggest dps cooldown.

Inquisitor isnt as bad, but is still locked into the 2 gcd debuff trap. Defiler is ok as an obnoxious self healer, but overall we dont have many competitive options. Our only salvation is to find an easy target like one that falls like a dove, or one with that thinks they have a god complex but is really just afk at spawn, heal, tank, or reroll. facing a good player that uses a more favored class (rogue/warrior) is a death sentence.

I'd like to play my main again, instead of resorting to alts. Please give us a little rework, else rift gets stale and i do like this game.
    Last edited by FierceDeityy; 07-12-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    3/3 TF 10/11 HK 4/4 HM IGP 8/9 HM MoM

The fervent strike change next patch for druids may alleviate your pain on this one a tad. From what I'm aware fervent strike is a self buff rather than a debuff on a target, so at a 1 min duration this will help quite a bit with swapping targets and build ups.

It will also help with PvE aspects as well. Generally quite a clever change.

It's not going to make a whole lot of difference, but it's a start. Remember, PvP really isn't top priority, and legendaries make it very difficult to balance PvP. You can basically kill anyone you like every 2 mins with inq, so if you don't like that style you need to look elsewhere. Cleric healers are still one of the best for PvP.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    The fervent strike change next patch for druids may alleviate your pain on this one a tad. From what I'm aware fervent strike is a self buff rather than a debuff on a target, so at a 1 min duration this will help quite a bit with swapping targets and build ups.

It will also help with PvE aspects as well. Generally quite a clever change.

It's not going to make a whole lot of difference, but it's a start. Remember, PvP really isn't top priority, and legendaries make it very difficult to balance PvP. You can basically kill anyone you like every 2 mins with inq, so if you don't like that style you need to look elsewhere. Cleric healers are still one of the best for PvP.
    Meh, DPS is no problem in PVP for my Cleric. [Ducks in the corner.] It's the ability to dish it out long enough to be effective that's lacking in Cleric. My Shaman with both legendary fairy healer, legendary salvation and tank fragments still gets 2 shotted sometimes. Maybe vengeance should get a little buff?

If Druid and Justicar weren't obligatory subsouls for Shaman in PVP for the selfhealing legendaries, we could make much more combinations that would improve DPS. Like adding Inquisitor and Runeshaper instead. That's why Shaman needs some more shielding or better self healing.
    Last edited by Xlavius; 07-14-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlavius View Post
    Meh, DPS is no problem in PVP for my Cleric. [Ducks in the corner.] It's the ability to dish it out long enough to be effective that's lacking in Cleric.
    our overall dps is kinda low but the problem is literally the opposite of what you just stated, we need to be able to start hitting hard immediately like paragons and assassins or we dont stand a chance against those classes. what does shaman counter? like i said before, pretty much just squishy and weak players.

And the fervent strike buff will barely be noticeable, slight qol but still doesnt even come close to addressing the real issue. unless youre running a sub optimal shaman build you still need to inscribe fate your target and hope you already have double icy blow and fervent strike up, or waste more gcds on buff upkeep.
    3/3 TF 10/11 HK 4/4 HM IGP 8/9 HM MoM

Well honestly, if you can think of a better suggestion please share, because Trion probably have no idea themselves in how to fix it efficiently and without affecting PvP.
    Fwob - Zaviel

shaman has always had the least amount of utility out of every single melee class. Only one charge, a snare that is effectively useless since it requires a GCD, does no damage, and can be cleansed, and only one stun that is directly tied to our "burst"

Also massive blow gets a pvp specific damage reduction, which makes it hit for less than a lot of ranged abilities, but it always crits, so I guess thats something?

The only real pro as a shaman is we're always in burst mode more or less, where as para needs its alacrity up, and a sin needs it's poison malice up to deal significant damage.

To me the tradeoff isn't worth it. Shaman is the worst melee class to play pvp in, and honestly it's pve isn't that much better if we're being honest.

Don't even get me started on runeshaper lol. Clerics are in bad shape, but we've been this way for awhile now and it doesn't look like we'll ever be a priority. Sucks, but it is what it is.
    Internet 101 : If anyone disagrees with you, they must be angry that you're right.

Shaman can certainly demand better love when it comes to PvP, since the soul always had issues. I personally play Cabalist in PvP though, but that's also because I don't run with the pure dps mindset since PvP is a teambased game and the amount of control Cabalist provides just can't be turned down.

Controlled enemy dps is no dps.
    The Pack - Sanzor - Cleric
    Zaviel

Ill always love shaman in pvp just for the pure burn power. working now on my pvp inq build. I haven't played it much in pvp so i kinda suck at it but whatever. The biggest problem in pvp as i see it isnt that clerics need to be buffed but some of the other specs need to be nerfed. Noone is healing through primal ethereal for example lol.

+ Reply to Thread