+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Clerics need to be worked on

Plane Touched

Part of the trouble with balance is alluded to already here.

Most of the playerbase are average. If the skill requirement to do competitive dps for an average player is lower by a margin for a specific class, in timing, rotation etc (vs the spamfest) then the general perception is of imbalance.

It may still be that one class or classes are better when in the hands of the 1% at the top, and clearly a skilled player will almost always beat an unskilled player with similar gear. BUT, if the majority of the average playerbase fins class x does a big chunk less than class y with similar gear that's as much as a balance issue as when the 1% at the top find (and conceal for fear of nerf) a build that's miles ahead.
    You are entitled to a vomit bag, if you do not have one, one will be provided for you. We're strapped for cash so it may be used, barf carefully!

Councillor Thunrar@Zaviel Keeper of the Dead <Servants of None>
    Guild Motto: Why did that happen? Because **** you that's why!

Quote Originally Posted by Crewcut View Post
    All you're saying is Clerics have more crit chance.

Getting better gear, getting more CP for more dps applies to all.
    Wrong again.

Because clerics have higher crit%, that makes having CP vs not having CP a bigger deal.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zehne View Post
    Because clerics have higher crit%, that makes having CP vs not having CP a bigger deal.
    ^ This. If you have to rely on getting MORE crits to keep your damage up, then CP is more important to you than to someone else who can maintain the same dps with only 20% crit.

Also to note, other classes get CP benefits within their soul trees themselves. Some, get both cp + crit%.

This makes a bigger deal as well, as if you consider both players, capped out on CP from gear, the one who has it in their soul tree can go above that cap. That's free extra damage that the other player simply cannot attain...

I'm also still waiting for a link on that parse as well, else yer just trollin'.

Soulwalker

Glad I found this thread! I had actually posted in the cleric guide forum just a bit ago asking if cleric DPS was raid viable. I was an original player from the start of RIFT, and my main is a cleric. I never had a talent for tanking or healing, though, and have always been DPS (in any MMO I've played really). I was able to do this through Greenscale's Blight, River of Souls, Gilded Prophecy, Drowned Souls, and the first half of Hammerknell (which is around the time I originally left the game).

So based on what I'm reading here, as I'm a pretty good player and am good at learning fight mechanics and have a lot of gaming experience, I should be viable for raids once I get there? (Still getting to 70, just returned recently and am playing through the stories I missed while I was gone.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Game Dyke View Post
    So based on what I'm reading here, as I'm a pretty good player and am good at learning fight mechanics and have a lot of gaming experience, I should be viable for raids once I get there? (Still getting to 70, just returned recently and am playing through the stories I missed while I was gone.)
    Yup. Don't let all the grumbling get to you. There are agendas at work.
    Clerics are lowest dps at equal gear and ability, but they aren't unplayable.
    You can raid on them, once you put in the time and effort.

Crewcut wants to deny that Primalist is OP, and that's his game. Ask any player who has BOTH Cleric and Primalist alts which one is more powerful. They're the best judge of that.

The quote from a Cleric guildie I remember best after getting into Tartaric Depths on a Primalist alt with Expert gear was: "This feels like cheating!". That should tell you all you need to know about how they compare.

Plane Touched

Default Cleric dps is awful really- if you play with rogues and primalists

So- my main is a cleric. It has been nerfed badly from what it was. I used to crank out some great dps on my shammy. Then the planar fragment debacle happened and my CP went into the toilet- not to mention the nerfs. Sure- I can hold my own - more or less- in dungeons and soloing- but in pvp or raids no way. This is not about rotations or "git gud." This is about class imbalance simply put. So those who are playing well with clerics doing dps are either playing with less than stellar players or have not been one shotted by a primalist in pvp.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelani View Post
    Yup. Don't let all the grumbling get to you. There are agendas at work.
    Clerics are lowest dps at equal gear and ability, but they aren't unplayable.
    You can raid on them, once you put in the time and effort.

Crewcut wants to deny that Primalist is OP, and that's his game. Ask any player who has BOTH Cleric and Primalist alts which one is more powerful. They're the best judge of that.

The quote from a Cleric guildie I remember best after getting into Tartaric Depths on a Primalist alt with Expert gear was: "This feels like cheating!". That should tell you all you need to know about how they compare.
    Awesome, that's great news! I mean, yeah, I have a Level 65 Boost from buying the Ex-Pack that I was planning to use for a Defiant Mage, but I've just put so many hundreds of hours into my Guardian Cleric and love her so much that I want her as my main still. I'm more than willing to put hard work and effort into improving my play.

Thanks for the response!

P.S. On a side note, it didn't take long for me to remember why I loved RIFT. These stories are amazing, the RIFT system is really cool, and there is just so much to do! I left the game before when I was strapped for cash and my significant other was complaining about me raiding all the time. Now I'm single again and loving it. Currently finishing up the Brevane story, then off to Dusken for that half of it.

P.S.S. Nightmare RIFTS are freaking awesome!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3