+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: So where do Clerics stand right now?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Believeinsteve View Post
    I guess I should've specified, where do clerics stand on PvE?

Seems like most comments are aimed at PvP
    PvE is almost as bad as PvP

I can hop on a primalist alt with entry 2k hit gear and hit harder in a 1 button mouthbreathing spec than a fully polished inquis rotation.

What were they thinking with these nerfs?

But clerics are not allowed to be strong in rift. Of the 6+ years I have played rift, clerics were the #1 dps class for maybe 2-3 weeks of storm legion after a shaman update.

here's the quick rundown:
    oracle: ded
    justicar: ded unless you pay out the *** for guard fragments/lessers
    cabalist: half the dps of other class aoe specs
    druid: terrible, no cleave, bad target switching
    inq: below average ranged single target dps with no cleave, hold the mayo
    shaman: below below average
    runeshaper: see shaman but no cleave
    purifier: chopped up into little pieces, put in a garbage bag and thrown out the window
    sentinel: you know actually, this spec is kinda decent at single target heali*PURGED*
    defiler: lol
    warden: lying on the train tracks and primalist Farseer soul is driving the oncoming train.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Storytimes View Post
    PvE is almost as bad as PvP

I can hop on a primalist alt with entry 2k hit gear and hit harder in a 1 button mouthbreathing spec than a fully polished inquis rotation.

What were they thinking with these nerfs?

But clerics are not allowed to be strong in rift. Of the 6+ years I have played rift, clerics were the #1 dps class for maybe 2-3 weeks of storm legion after a shaman update.

here's the quick rundown:
    oracle: ded
    justicar: ded unless you pay out the *** for guard fragments/lessers
    cabalist: half the dps of other class aoe specs
    druid: terrible, no cleave, bad target switching
    inq: below average ranged single target dps with no cleave, hold the mayo
    shaman: below below average
    runeshaper: see shaman but no cleave
    purifier: chopped up into little pieces, put in a garbage bag and thrown out the window
    sentinel: you know actually, this spec is kinda decent at single target heali*PURGED*
    defiler: lol
    warden: lying on the train tracks and primalist Farseer soul is driving the oncoming train.
    I mean, it's not THAT bad. Shaman is still okay, and has been for pretty much the entirety of NT. Heck, there was that 1 month or so period where you could bring a 65 shaman who just dinged into CoA EM and out dps 1400 hit raiding toons.

On the whole though, I do feel like the cleric nerfs were unnecessary. Pretty much everyone else got buffed, and clerics weren't exactly far ahead of the average to begin with. I heard through the grapevine though that there might be some buffs on the horizon though now, so all hope isn't lost.

I just started working my cleric up through the new content last night, having hit 65th. She's completely obliterating mobs as a full shaman. Now admittedly, 65th level mobs only have 320k hp or so, but I'm killing them in about 4-5 seconds, so 65-80k dps at 65th, which isn't bad at all.

I'm curious to see how I start to do when I go up against mobs with 1 million+ health.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyria View Post
    I just started working my cleric up through the new content last night, having hit 65th. She's completely obliterating mobs as a full shaman. Now admittedly, 65th level mobs only have 320k hp or so, but I'm killing them in about 4-5 seconds, so 65-80k dps at 65th, which isn't bad at all.

I'm curious to see how I start to do when I go up against mobs with 1 million+ health.
    Cleric is still a great choice for enjoying open world and solo content, with a variety of builds of different play styles that have excellent sustain. Its weaknesses tend towards competitive DPS capabilities when compared to other callings in group dungeons or raids, and recent nerfs heavily impacted it's ability to survive in PVP long enough to make up for it's lack of raw damage. I am still enjoying it however, it has led me into exploring new soul tree combinations which is what has always made Rift fun in my opinion.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lyria View Post

Seems about right. Every class more or less could do that at that level.

It's unfortunate to read these changes. While I don't mind playing mage or leveling my warrior/rogue, my main has always been cleric.
    Previous Leader of Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by Storytimes View Post
    To be fair, purges are only going to happen in PVP. In PVE, Senti is doing really well and, overall, much better than in 2.0/3.0. Doing fresh experts in blues/greens as Senti I still had an easy time keeping up tanks and small groups.
    Myred & Associates, a Deepwood PLLC
    dba TedCrooz@Deepwood; Mjirth@Deepwood
    Keeper of the Corgi Mask < -Hello Kitty- >
    #SeastoneBestStone, but never forget #DeepwoodBestWood

Quote Originally Posted by Myred View Post
    To be fair, purges are only going to happen in PVP. In PVE, Senti is doing really well and, overall, much better than in 2.0/3.0. Doing fresh experts in blues/greens as Senti I still had an easy time keeping up tanks and small groups.
    right, but the truth is senti is far outclassed by warden in PvE. There isn't any real need for a reactive st heal spec. And if there was, warden could fill that role decently enough.

And the rule with PvE is decently enough is all that is needed.

Which leaves senti with it's classic niche, PvP. But as it was pointed out: PURGEEEED

We arn't even talking about the red-headed step child anymore either. What's going on with puri?!?! Last time I played it it felt severely under-powered and clunky.

Shadowlander

Default Cleric Standing

To highlight the important changes in 4.1:

Healing
    Purifier - Puri is dead. Mourn its passing and get on with your life. Just don't play it.

Sentinel - The one button single target healer. You lost divine favor, so the only time you might be relevant is if your 'tank' is that warrior holding aggro with his 1.2m dps.

Warden - The MVP. Doing 1/5 the HPS since 4.1, and still at the top of the charts for sheer numbers. Thankfully, it takes 20 buttons to play it right.

Support
    Oracle - The no-death achievement runner. TD isn't Ungolok progression. Just let the poor rogues go bard since they're still at the bottom of the dps food chain.

Runeacle - The lonely hybrid. Still playable, but would you rather have a 350k dps that uses debuffs or a bard that can solo heal TD?

DPS
    Shaman - The under-performer. It's fun to play, and you can pull reasonable dps with two buttons. Unfortunately, you do less AoE than Cabalist, Defiler outcleaves you, and you probably have wet dreams about pulling Inquisitor dps.

Defiler - Whac-A-Mole Survivalist. You know you missed playing this at the end of Nightmare Tide. Despite sub-par single target damage, Legendary Miserly Affliction and Unholy Nexus make this a great cleave spec. For an added bonus, your self healing is strong enough to keep you up through VOID even if your healer dies!

Cabalist - The underplayed. What other class can (still!) do 150k postmortem? For any activity that starts with 'AFK,' Cabalist is king.

Druid - Sorry, this is the "DPS" section. Take your RP-ing back to Silverwood.

Runeshaper - The great unknown. It got buffed! Is it good? Has anyone ever put more than 40 points in it? Can I be a super hipster by playing it? NO! Enjoy you anonymity for another few months!

Inquisitor - The apathetic. No other Cleric role can keep up with you, so why bother learning them? You can still keep up with some mages and primalists, so who cares if warriors do 20% more dps. At least you're not a rogue, right?

I hope this has been educational

Quote Originally Posted by Jkay View Post
    Just let the poor rogues go bard since they're still at the bottom of the dps food chain.
    No they're not. They're just below primalists and warriors.

For sustain:

Primalist > Warrior > Rogue > Mage > Cleric
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 04-04-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Shadowlander

Default Shhh

Shh, Dark!
    Can't you see I'm trying to get Bard buffed so i never have to Oracle again?

Champion

In PVE, I'm actually doing very good with my Shaman. I'm getting into the 500k DPS now. Sure, my meter shows other callings doing more, but it's not THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Primalist > Warrior > Rogue > Mage > Cleric
    In PVP though, the above should be more like this:
    Primalist > Warrior > Rogue > Mage > > > > > > > Cleric

The difference between PVE and PVP is like night and day. I die before I can cast any damaging ability whatsoever. Even with both fairy healer and salvation. I stopped trying altogether now. Just playing boring mage now, which does amazingly good DPS in PVP with super-dumb rotation.

The short of it is that cleric suffers from a lack of attention. Whenever something is wrong dev's slap a bandaid on cleric and then say it's fixed.

Anything that happens with cleric there has always been an overwhelming response to the tune of "Why'd you do that, that won't fix the real issues with cleric" followed by a "here's why it's broken, please fix the root cause"

Ultimately what ends up happening is that numbers are adjusted and a few bugs are squashed (I mean, look at warden 'fix'), it's doing enough healing for 2 expansions later due to a bug with healing crystals and some overpowered legendary mechanics, but trion's solution is to fix the bug (rightly so)then just tweak some numbers.

And that's all that's done, all of cleric 'fixes' are purely number adjustments. Even though overwhelmingly it is said that there are mechanical issues DRUID.
    I mean, waaaaay back it was said that the devs (or trion as a whole) wanted to make druid viable for raiding. So the numbers were tweaked(and the numbers were theoretically viable), but then at the same time they made it a mechanically non-viable spec to play in raids. Which was counter productive.

You can't tweak numbers to fix an issue that is mechanically rooted.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Jkay View Post
    Shh, Dark!
    Can't you see I'm trying to get Bard buffed so i never have to Oracle again?
    Oracle already does terrible. The only reason to take it over any other class is when the devs force it onto the community because they have to use the legendary 61 for some niche mechanic that is only for 1 boss that probably majority of clerics will hate to keep a slot for it just for 1 boss. So far oracle as a 61 isn't even in my roles and I was basically running around with the 26 button spec for it back in NT which barely beat bard.. That was toward the end when they did the defiler remake so they were pretty much crap throughout most of NT until then but were faceroll to play.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 04-05-2017 at 12:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2