+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommendation for a F2P healer build?

Question Recommendation for a F2P healer build?

I'm looking for a healer build works well for the following requirements:

1. Healing casual groups, most likely through the Instance Finder. I don't expect to be doing any raiding. (I'm aware of Instant Adventures, but I queue for them as a tank.)

2. F2P souls only. I may buy some additional ones, but I haven't yet.

3. No pets. I don't like managing them.

4. A reasonable number of buttons. I don't mind managing the healing using 5-7 macros, with a few extra buttons for openers or emergencies. But if it gets much more than that, my hand starts cramping fairly quickly. I am comfortable making my own macros, and using @mouseoverui.

5. Ability to handle casual group content in Starfall Prophecy. I expect to purchase it after I get through the F2P content.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
    Last edited by Staccato; 11-29-2016 at 08:55 AM.

It would be wrong for me to fail to mention that healing as a cleric will have many more buttons than 5-7. That being said, warden uses the most periodically(imo, and requires upkeep), sentinel has the most (c/d wise), and puri has the least button wise for both spam and c/d healing.

That being said I haven't messed too much with healing souls in SFP. But my experience is that most default to sentinel. Personally I think that puri, warden and sentinel are all viable. It may just be that more people are playing sentinel for the reason that sentinel is actually playable in the current meta (whereas before it wasn't viable in the previous meta).

All that said, aside from oracle having a pretty nice legendary for healing (+20% healing, but requires the use of a damage ability every 30ish seconds), you can usually get by with non-bought souls.

For most heal builds you'd simply use puri/sent for one of your off-souls, and then the 3rd is dependent on personal choice mostly (warden if you want hots/raid heals), or a soul with +10% sp in it's base talents for higher output.

Also, for the most part the legendary choices for healing are rather lackluster. Most healing builds will have 1 or 2 legendaries that will be the obvious choice, while the remaining 3-4 will be fluff.

tldr;
    Sounds like you want Purifier.

Soulwalker

There are 3 free healing specs, they are all in presets. Very easy. You can change it up when you get better at healing.

Purifier best for expert dungens or tank healing in raids.

Sent best for ST healing in PVP.

Warden good for raid healing and good for pvp when you have many people in small place.

Overall presets are your best friends. Select legendary as you wish to match your play style.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Staccato View Post

1. Healing casual groups, most likely through the Instance Finder. I don't expect to be doing any raiding. (I'm aware of Instant Adventures, but I queue for them as a tank.)

4. A reasonable number of buttons. I don't mind managing the healing using 5-7 macros, with a few extra buttons for openers or emergencies. But if it gets much more than that, my hand starts cramping fairly quickly. I am comfortable making my own macros, and using @mouseoverui.

5. Ability to handle casual group content in Starfall Prophecy. I expect to purchase it after I get through the F2P content.

Pre-SP: Go with Purifier imo. It's perfect for 5man groups for dungeons, including experts, and you're gonna be fine using fewer buttons until heavy dmg comes in (which wont be happening much in 5man content).

Post-SP: You could look into setting up Sentinel instead. It benefits a lot from the legendaries it got. You will need more buttons but it can work well enough with a spam macro + cds etc as the current SP 5man content isnt very difficult.

In general "using 5-7 macros (skills rather), with a few extra buttons for openers or emergencies" should be doable with all the healing souls Cleric has. Some need fewer buttons for their "basic" healing but have more cds for "emergencies" while others use more for their "basic" healing but have fewer cds. But you can make all of them work for 5man content without problems as you dont need to "minmax" and do everything perfectly.
    Alaysa@Gelidra
    Laysa@Gelidra

www.eternal-dawn.net @Gelidra [EU]

Shield of Telara

Warden > all

Yes, even for healing crap tanks through SPEs.

Default Thanks

Zehne, Chuchooo, and particularly Reila, thank you. It sounds like you agree that Purifier is somewhat more likely to meet my requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    In general "using 5-7 macros (skills rather), with a few extra buttons for openers or emergencies" should be doable with all the healing souls Cleric has.
    Why did you make the distinction between macros and skills? In general, it appears that macros allow me to stack 1-3 skills on one button (occasionally a lot more, but that's generally for dps, not healing).

Quote Originally Posted by Trauumhaft View Post
    Warden > all
    Why is it better?
    Are you just trolling, or do you have some reason supporting statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Trauumhaft View Post
    Yes, even for healing crap tanks through SPEs.
    Does SPE = Starfall Prophecy Expert?

Rift Disciple

Hopefully this reply will be more detailed than some of the other ones you've gotten so far.

Assuming that you are fully F2P-gated (Level 65 cap), the spec that I would recommend the most would be 61 Sentinel for dungeon/IA difficulty content, because of a few things that the other replies have not mentioned:

1) It is a traditional cast-time based healing spec similar to many other MMOs, so there is less of a transition than the absorb-based Purifier spec.

2) It has not been recently changed much outside of the Legendary (65+ content) skills and is fairly effective even at low levels, whereas Purifier had many direct and indirect nerfs since the new expansion, including max-absorption cap, Flame of Life rework, etc.

3) It is good at target-swapping for heals (or @mouseoverui), whereas Purifier has very limited options outside of a slow channel or a big shield. This will help in leveling, where you do not know the mechanics of particular fights as well.

4) It rewards cleansing (6% max hp heal from cleansing debuffs), and also provides damage mitigation (Healer's Covenant, only 20 points in).

5) It has better MP management skills than Purifier (and also more max MP).

6) It is also the preferred spec over Purifier in future content, which makes it easier to transition after buying Starfall Prophecy (which means that you don't have to learn a spec that's currently defunct at 70).

For a beginner/intermediate build I would recommend the 61 Sentinel with some Purifier and Warden points for sub-souls.

I would not recommend a full-Warden soul for leveling, although I have admittedly not been to some of the lower dungeons for quite some time and it might be just as easy to heal as the current Experts (which were nerfed into oblivion upon release). Warden rewards Heal-over-time management and AoE healing, and relies more heavily on its Legendaries at 70 than Sentinel or Purifier.
    Lyrine@Deepwood <-Virus->
    RIP <Nephilim>
    RIP <White Fang>

Why did you make the distinction between macros and skills? In general, it appears that macros allow me to stack 1-3 skills on one button (occasionally a lot more, but that's generally for dps, not healing).
    The way cleric heals work, most have no c/d unless it's an actual c/d. Whilst you can macro lots of things together in shaman because hit A,B have a c/d of 15 seconds, hit C has a c/d of 6 seconds and hit D has a hit of 9 seconds you can macro those in easy because they'll be used when they are ready and otherwise it'll defer to later abilities in the macro.

But you can't macro abilities under an instant cast unless it's off the GCD because it'll never go off (only the instant cast will ever go off barring things like LoS or facing requirements/range).

I Build my macro's up ALOT, and you can macro certain things though. For example I have ability auto-targetting or w/e it's called off. This allows me to macro damage abilities at the front of my warden macros. This makes them dual function. Targetting an enemy I'll use the damage ability, targeting nothing/friendly i'll use a heal.

Then I'll add in shift modifiers (to the damage portion of macro too), and suddenly i've got 4 abilities in a single macro. The problem is that most people see shift-keystroke as a keybind. So while I have a 1 keybind with 4 abilities, most people just call that 2 key-binds with 2 abilities each. (there is a small difference though, mainly that if the shift abilities don't go off the macro can fall-through to non shift modifier abilities)

The general jist of it though is that because most heals don't have c/d's, it's not nearly as macroable as dps. Also while dps is mainly about ability priority or ability order to get the most out, healing is more situational. So even if heals had c/d's you wouldn't want to macro them because you'd probably end up wasting them.

+ Reply to Thread