+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning player, what soul should I play?

Soulwalker

Default Returning player, what soul should I play?

So I wasn't able to run Rift on my computer for the better part of the year. I finally got my stuff working again and I got the urge to come back and play my Defiler cleric. Unfortunately death heals are no longer a thing so I'm wondering if I could find similar mechanics elsewhere? Even if I have to level a different class. I did look at the current dps defiler and I feel like I might as well play Warlock for dps or maybe Chloromancer for heals.

The vice themed abilities also feel bland on this new defiler and while I'm sure they are balanced for raiding, the soul itself looks boring.

Plane Touched

i'd personally suggest to reroll another class.
    personally, i'm very sad, but now we have to admit that the class is totally upset, buggy and not fun at all to play. even cleric paid souls are really underpowered or not fun to play now in comparison to other callings.
    after almost 6 years playing cleric, i think i will abandon the calling for the first time, since i've lost hope in the developement.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostbladeX View Post
    So I wasn't able to run Rift on my computer for the better part of the year. I finally got my stuff working again and I got the urge to come back and play my Defiler cleric. Unfortunately death heals are no longer a thing so I'm wondering if I could find similar mechanics elsewhere? Even if I have to level a different class. I did look at the current dps defiler and I feel like I might as well play Warlock for dps or maybe Chloromancer for heals.

The vice themed abilities also feel bland on this new defiler and while I'm sure they are balanced for raiding, the soul itself looks boring.
    They really are not balanced. Specs with RNG and long build ups will often suffer in the long run in all forms of content and when content is being cleared faster. If it takes 5x longer to build up to the dps than someone who starts at the top and goes steadily down then it will always be an imbalance when fights are shorten through straight progression. I noticed this as they nerf content and in PvP way back in vanilla. Its incredible they have ignored it.

For instance, let us say it took 1 min and a few seconds to go to the next phase which requires target switching. That was a perfect timing for 1 min. cd use. However, after a nerf or your team getting better it takes 45 sec. to get to the next phase. You were solely relying on the phase ending in 1min so that your good rotation would not be wasted. However, for defiler, druid, runeshaper.. the refreshing process, the long build up, the stack, the RNG and everything it throws you off and in almost every case you have to use your 1 min cd to align with the raid buffs usually overlapping all the wasted abilities in between. Then in PvP you are relying on an on demand burst nearly exclusively. The to and fro movement of players in combat pretty much points to this. Other range have great access to the movement buffs/escapes, and in some cases free casting with on demand burst and cooldowns that increase their TTK like for instance diffuse etc. Your class simply lacks that. You also have to consider everything they do. Let us take an example of Druid. For instance, the shield is now used as a way to gain mana so you can actually keep dpsing. It isn't even a shield anymore since it is now officially part of your dps rotation. Your TTK just took a hit but why? Was it OP in druid? Nope. Actually Druid was one of the easiest melee souls to rip apart and it had so many problems in pvp already.

Runeshaper, defiler and druid all suffer from so much bad design choices its quite incredible.. Even Cab has a long build up too and in some sense RNG based too. The current developers have strayed so FAR away from the founders of Rift that in many cases if feels like they have developed Cleric for an entirely different meta game instead of Rift. Now if all the other classes had the same clunky playstyle with rng and turret dps and suffered tremendously from disconnects because of stacking debuffs on the target or yourself (or both?! )I guess it would be okay but its not like that.

The playstyle just doesn't fit in when compared to every other class. Maybe some people like that but its not balanced.. And it will start to show its torns eventually. Switching to another class is beneficial but also you have to consider what happened to warrior in NT. They were not really great at the start of NT but then Reaver was buffed and they were pretty much the most dominant soul for a long time for that class in pvp and pve. So in some cases you could in fact get the same treatment. It is unacceptable however in the current meta....which is p2p or p2w and class locked.

The grind increase in SL and NT didn't allow much multiclassing like vanilla. People left in droves because of their class being pulled to the lower end or classes being so imbalanced. Planar Fragments are incredibly expensive to gear up alts in SFP so it will be worse probably..

What we do know so far as from a design perspective is that other classes are much better overall and the amount of extensive reworking that is needed for this class to be on their functionality level is quite alot of work. There is some evidence that changes for classes are pretty much glacial or small for some reason so rerolling to another class that has better basic functionality is a good idea.

Even if you do end up picking a class that is somewhat dps limited or HPS limited at least playstyle and viability are not limited like cleric who will also be dps and hps eventually due to up and down roller coaster balancing. And if the dps and hps is limited it is really only the devs holding those classes back for a reason and it was NOT really because of functionality and viability but mostly because they were complained about and needed a nerf or they were OP for too long and need to be nerfed. In most cases they take a sledgehammer to that particular soul combo that was OP and not even bring it down to balancing level. For instance what they did with Druid/shaman, drufiler, drushaper hybrids(even before they were popular.) They killed them all off. I don't really think they understand how far off track and in the wrong direction they took the class.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 11-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread