+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: what is happening to cleric calling

Plane Touched

Default what is happening to cleric calling

hi all folks, just wanted to share with the community some recent thoughts.
    i've been playing cleric since launch and noticed a slow decline of the class, i explain better
    at first glance, i chose cleric because was the only calling that could do all roles and pretty well.
    nowadays, as all you may know, all callings can cover all roles, thanks to the premium (cash $$$) souls.
    and if you buy a soul pack you'd expect it to perform very well, better than free souls, you paid real cash and this is legit!!
    so now happened that all the premium souls from other classes perform much better than cleric now, and you can not pretend, of course, that free souls perform better or equally than paid souls.
    i think the cleric calling has been struck really hard by this situation.
    in addition, the last paid soul for clerics, Runeshaper, is a shame in comparison of the other callings new souls, Druid rework made the soul even more useless than before
    And, last but not least, they are removing Defiler: probably a painful but right decision, but do what do we get in exchange?
    Even more, cleric is the only class that does not have a threat drop ability. Little things like this make me feel that the cleric develop is on the very last position in the planning!
    Finally, just to summarize my thoughts, other callings started from a basic role and got things slowly added and improved, while clerics started for a more complete role fitting and got things removed and worse.
    ok, shaman, purifier and even warden are still good and quite fun to play, but if you're playing cleric from a long time you may understand the bitter taste that i'm feeling at the moment...
    i'm really considering if i may want to change main calling for the expansion
    Last edited by Mystifal; 08-26-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Shield of Telara

as all you may know, all callings can cover all roles, thanks to the premium (cash $$$) souls.
    Primalist says hello. It's pure premium and can't do : poop emoji :

that free souls perform better or equally than paid souls.
    Shaman | Harbinger

they are removing Defiler: probably a painful but right decision, but do what do we get in exchange?
    If it gets released in its current state: nothing of value.

Druid rework made the soul even more useless than before
    Incorrect.

Even more, cleric is the only class that does not have a threat drop ability.
    For what would you need such a thing? Threat is a joke and for soloing you can just smash anything into the ground before it hits you twice.

cleric develop is on the very last position in the planning!
    A very accurate assessment.

> For what would you need such a thing

Running past trash mobs in old raids then dropping threat so you can kill bosses faster

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mystifal View Post
    Druid rework made the soul even more useless than before
    Evidence would appear to suggest otherwise https://www.prancingturtle.com/Encou...ity&filter=all

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artak View Post
    Evidence would appear to suggest otherwise https://www.prancingturtle.com/Encou...ity&filter=all
    Nice parse. I would hesitate to say the class is ok based on 1 outlying instance. While Shaman is competing in pve dps, clerics are struggling across the board:

Justicar - brings little to a raid. C'mon now - if you're counting on the Brez for progression your raid has more serious issues.

Oracle - being significantly outperformed by Bardborn. "But it can bring tenebrious distortion" which is also provided by Primalists playing their top dps spec. "But it shields" Be honest, when comparing Bard and Oracle a raid leader wants the class that can do more dps. At the moment Bardborn does significantly more dps and does not lose anything when debuffing new targets (curse you Emblem of Alacrity.)

Cabalist - awesome aoe dps if your 8 or more targets live long enough for the ramp-up, just pray that there won't be only 1 enemy left cause then you suck. And NOONE want to be the perma silence ***** for Aky or the trash before Lady Justice.

Defiler - the rework at the moment remains lackluster. OK a few parses were over the top, but the soul will not be released that way. Micromanaging that many DoTs is tedious at best. If the point of the rework is to get rid of links, then get rid of the links. This will be a dps spec, give some utility that a dps wants to have. And for the love of Thontic, change the purge to an interrupt. We can easily pick up a purge with 12 points in Inquisitor which we're likely to take as a subsoul anyway cause yeah Faith's Freedom - we need a lowish investment interrupt.

Druid - Artak, yours has the be the first positive thing I've heard about the Druid rework like ever.

Inquisitor - Too much utility to be allowed buffs, buff it and it imbalances PvP. Leave it as is and it's useful IF a cleric has to play ranged and move. Not that it's a mobile spec, it's just more mobile than Runeshaper.

Purifier - So what will this soul look like when the inevitable nerf bat hits prior to 4.0? I'm not optimistic - Frostkeepers and Warchanters have to get their money's worth.

Runeshaper - While seemingly the least desirable spec of the last soul pack, it does do decent dps IF the cleric doesn't have to move after the opening rotation AND gets lucky with procs. The 61 point Rune of Impending Doom doesn't work meaning the cleric HAS to hybridize. "Hybrids are good" you say - and I agree. However can't there be a balance between having to take the 61 point (Furious Assault & Radical Coalescence) and never worth the point investment?

Sentinel - I only started playing in June, 2011 which was during the reign of Senticar but after any 51-61 point Sentinel superiority. While enjoying a few weeks of play during Inyr K'ta other than PvP has sentinel ever been a thing? There are other threads about the issues that Sent faces in PvP at the moment, I won't repeat those here.

Shaman - Give back to Shaman it's 8 second Punishing Strike, please and thank you.

Warden - actually, this is 1 spec that seems to be well balanced.

In looking forward to 4.0 for me the remaining question is to which class shall I reroll? My chain heart has been shattered beyond repair, and the cleric class is no longer fun.

Default My opinion in cleric souls

Its true that some specs for cleric should be re-worked.

Shaman- I am happy with the changes, rogues had been a high dps class since the launched of the new souls so having competitive dps against other classes finally puts clerics back in the race.
    Inquisitor- This soul is complete trash right now, a class dependent of channels where the new content makes you run all over the place doesn't work. I haven't played inquisitor in the past 5 months, I once played it in IGP and my burst was lower than 100k when I can parse above 115k as shaman or RS.
    Druid- I loved druid before the re-work but now I don't understand the class anymore.. it takes forever to build stacks and it lowers the survival for those who use druid as leveling soul.
    Defiler- I always loved the idea of defiler because its such an unique spec but with the new changed coming for 4.0 I dont know how I feel about it.
    Healing Souls- Clerics are the only class with 4 healing souls (Including Defiler yes) I don't have any issues with them. Purifier still is the best option for tank healing. Warden If played right it can even beat other specs. Sentinel is rather good for pvp and NTEs. Defiler is mainly support heal.
    Justicar- I don't have any issues with it.
    Cabalist- Decent AoE dps spec, rather used for burst damage, mages can pull more dps but the crowd control is good.
    Oracle- Good support spec, better dps than bard, lacks healing but makes up in absortion.
    Runeshaper- Our new ranged ST DPS soul. At first I hated it but once I got the hang of it I loved it! Heavily relies on RNG but its dps is higher than shaman.

This is just my opinion on how cleric souls are at the moment. I being playing cleric for almost 4 years since I joined the game and as a class I love it to the point I can't swap to another class.

<Shh Don't Fight It> 7/9 MoM 4/4 NM CoA
    "My Body is Ready!"

Rift Disciple

Shaman:

Well numbers wise shaman is quite nice, gameplay wise it could do with some tweaks imo, but all in all its fine as is

Inquisitor:

Inquisitor is just pointless, as i pointed out before the RS was released this was one of the 3 potential outcomes, and the one i feared the most. RS should not have been made to be a st ranged spec in the first place. The only thing inq has over RS atm is a bit of cleave, but not enough to make it worth using.

Druid

Removing the survival abilities from Druid was a mistake when that would have been disabled by using the buff that makes the pet inactive anyway. And building stacks slowly is one thing, having them on your target is even worse, needs some changes!

Defiler

No PTS update now for over a week, not looking good for Defiler.

Warden:

Warden is the top healing soul for actual healing, the only reason to use anything else is pc/wg.

Puri and Sent

Puri/sent should just be merged into one soul, no reason to have 2 st healing souls where one is so focused on shields it breaks the game, and the other is so focused on reactive abilities that its pointless.

Justicar

In my opinion it is to reliant on healing as mitigation and cd's. As a side effect of Defiler/Purifier bosses hit so hard that using them correctly becomes an issue. I would like to see another % based damage reduction ability.

Cabalist:

A stun bot that is very boring to play and only shines in very specific circumstances, should be a more overall aoe dps soul like every other class has, but overall not the one in most dire need of change.

Oracle

Far behind Bard dps atm, like 20k behind, so 30%. Mainly due to SB, but something has to be done to balance it out before 4.1

Runeshaper

Should never have been made the way it is, we had a ranged st dps soul that worked fine as it was.
    Last edited by Pretoi; 08-26-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Looks like the developers are focusing on across the board major changes to class and role flexibility.

Seems they are putting the power to customize in the player's hands, instead of going back and reworking roles. Looking forward to more info.

Full Post- Legendary Powers

Snapshot- 2nd Paragraph / Legendary Powers:
    Our goal with Legendary Powers is to change up how your character plays, based upon the powers purchased. For instance, an ability that is normally a 6 second channel that doesn’t allow movement might become a 3 second channel with double the ticks, allowing movement, and also applies all of a certain type of buff to you instead of needing to individually cast each one.
    Last edited by Dizbo; 08-29-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dizbo View Post
    Looks like the developers are focusing on across the board major changes to class and role flexibility.

Seems they are putting the power to customize in the player's hands, instead of going back and reworking roles. Looking forward to more info.

Our goal with Legendary Powers is to change up how your character plays, based upon the powers purchased. For instance, an ability that is normally a 6 second channel that doesn’t allow movement might become a 3 second channel with double the ticks, allowing movement, and also applies all of a certain type of buff to you instead of needing to individually cast each one.

Anyway... by attaching a hammer to a shovel you can only have a functioning super shovel (hamvel or shovmer)* if the shovel wasn't broken in the first place.

*technical term
    Last edited by Trauumhaft; 08-29-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Ascendant

Didn't know cleric is so bad in its current state.
    Thanks for the update!
    Last edited by FateStayNight; 08-29-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Legendary skills shouldn't be used to bring viability on par with other classes. It should be used to enhance already comparable in viability specs so they are not left forever crippled in the process. Unfortunately, when people speak highly of shaman and inq .. I feel they just got swindled into the industries process of making things worse to make already arguably crippled specs look better. It is probably a good time to reroll another class as the glacial changes phenomenon really means that clerics are going to be stuck in the ice age. Here is to hoping for the next summer soulstice to brighten and warm up your frigid days.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 09-09-2016 at 03:17 AM.

I'm sort of disliking the way this game is heading. I've played it on and off since original release.

One I hate the focus on adding more buttons for the sake of more buttons. Rift's most appealing feature was its simple macro system and flexible classes. Flexible classes were mostly phased out and now it seems the soul designers are wanting to just add more buttons to give players carpel tunnel syndrome.

With every new class redesign there's a bunch of buff stacks that are a pain to monitor, and a ton of de-buffs to maintain.

To be honest, it's a style I can't stand to play.

I much preferred the old druid play-style since it was straight forward and always felt that if anything, it should have been made more of a support soul (Pet offering flexibility with AoE healing or dps) along with some party buffs similar to beast master.

Defiler could have used some changes but I didn't mind the old style. It had a learning curve but the premise behind how to play it was straight forward and easy to understand. I honestly loved the idea of a hybrid dps/healer. Clerics definitely should have always had one available. (Oh how i loved Inquisicar) If I were to have changed anything I would have cut down the links to 1 or 2, removed "Stick" (the rooted semi pet thing) and incorporated some more chloro mechanics.

Finally since I play Rogue and how flat and carpel tunnel inducing the Sab changes were...I implore the class designers to quit it with the "HEY LETS ADD MORE BUFFS, DEBUFFS, AND DoT's" ideas behind classes and please simplify things.

Lets get back to short CD's on abilities so we don't need 20 abilities on our button bars, less needing to monitor stacking self buffs. If there isn't a combo point or Righteous Mandate type special icon that's easy to spot, it's likely a bad idea to go with.

Finally, lets keep the number of debuffs that need to be maintained on bosses down to 3-4 for support, 1-2 for DPS.
    Last edited by Skiye; 09-15-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Default Legendary Explosive Rage/Legendary Fervent Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmemory View Post
    Legendary skills shouldn't be used to bring viability on par with other classes. It should be used to enhance already comparable in viability specs so they are not left forever crippled in the process. Unfortunately, when people speak highly of shaman and inq .. I feel they just got swindled into the industries process of making things worse to make already arguably crippled specs look better. It is probably a good time to reroll another class as the glacial changes phenomenon really means that clerics are going to be stuck in the ice age. Here is to hoping for the next summer soulstice to brighten and warm up your frigid days.
    ----
    From Ocho's 9-15-2016 post
    Starfall Prophecy Preview: Legendary Powers

Snapshot: So what are some abilities we might get?

Cleric: Legendary Explosive Rage
    Now also applies a stack of Greed to you for every Rage consumed by this ability.
    This offers you a powerful damage combo that strongly increases your burst potential, and allows you to fill more global cooldowns with your most powerful abilities.

Clerics who make even a minimal investment in Druid can obtain the Legendary Fervent Strike ability.

Keep an eye out over the coming weeks as we reveal more details on Legendary Powers for each Calling!
    -----
    Yes Flashmemory, these don't appear to be finalized, but winter is certainly coming.

----
    From Ocho's 9-15-2016 post
    Starfall Prophecy Preview: Legendary Powers

Snapshot: So what are some abilities we might get?

Cleric: Legendary Explosive Rage
    Now also applies a stack of Greed to you for every Rage consumed by this ability.
    This offers you a powerful damage combo that strongly increases your burst potential, and allows you to fill more global cooldowns with your most powerful abilities.

Clerics who make even a minimal investment in Druid can obtain the Legendary Fervent Strike ability.

Keep an eye out over the coming weeks as we reveal more details on Legendary Powers for each Calling!
    -----
    Yes Flashmemory, these don't appear to be finalized, but winter is certainly coming.
    Seems like all that would do is force you to use your greed stacks before they mature to 5 possibly adding an rng cast time into your already rng rotation.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 09-17-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiye View Post

One I hate the focus on adding more buttons for the sake of more buttons. Rift's most appealing feature was its simple macro system and flexible classes. Flexible classes were mostly phased out and now it seems the soul designers are wanting to just add more buttons to give players carpel tunnel syndrome.
    more buttons for the sake of adding more buttons seems to be a recent trend, yeah.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/ability/-5...aging-Elements

read over this tooltip a few times and try to make sense of this "ability".

30 second cooldown. off gcd. 30 second duration.

my feedback: why does this exist? what is it's purpose? it's completely redundant.
    the response: ignored.
    Last edited by ecru; 09-17-2016 at 05:56 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast