+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: yet another cleric build question

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Jingizu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    10

    Default yet another cleric build question

    hello everyone,
    My wife and I are coming from Aion and while I know what class I'm looking forward to playing my wife does not, she really enjoyed playing a chanter in aion so were wondering if it's possible to combine a cpl souls to make a like class here in Rift comparable to the chanter in Aion? If so please be so kind as to draw up a good build with link for us to kinda grasp ahold of and run with it thnx for any and all replies.

    P.S. if this has been asked about b4 or theres a thread about this alrdy we sincerly apologize for not seeing it.
    Last edited by Jingizu; 02-02-2011 at 11:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Crysis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    365

    Default

    the closest class i can think of to being a "chanter" in Rift is a Bard
    Last edited by Crysis; 02-02-2011 at 10:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    As far as I know, the only class remotely close to a chanter is the Bard, just going by the melee damage aspect and the amount of group buffs they get. Bards use 2 1h weapons, which is unlike a chanter, but the only staff/2h mace users that are melee are in the Cleric tree. Going by using a 2h weapon, the closest would be Shaman/Druid. A Shaman/Druid build is quite nice though. Their damage is okay, roughly mid range, higher with the right gear, but they have great survivability with various heals, shields, aoe spells, and self buffs.

    While there is no exact match, my best idea would be Bard for the group buff aspect, Shaman for the melee aspect. But who knows, you can switch it up a bit with this game to fit how you want to play.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker Jingizu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    10

    Default

    thnx for the replies .... yeah I was thinking that bard would be pretty close to a chanter from Aion too but wife really doesnt wanna play a bard class again (she played one in eq2 for years and got bored with it after while) as for the shaman and druid build thats what we were discussing about her rolling ...until yesterday hearing that shaman is really going to get changed this beta so were not sure about that soul now. how would justicar warden work out, to my understanding that melee and heling combined if im not mistaking?

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    80

    Default

    You have not played beta and even those of us that HAVE are still having a bit of a hard time adjusting to one thing...


    You are NOT tied to one roll, if your wife picks the Cleric line she will be set based off what you have described (Aion).

    She will not be bound to one "class" but will be bound to an Archtype i.e. cleric, but in the cleric line you have dps, tanking, healing, ranged dps, cc, buffs etc... mix and match as much as you like as often as you like.

    Now, I am a MAIN healer in all MMOs, should you want any healing builds of various sorts Im glad to be of help and link some!

    But try to keep in mind your wife is not STUCK with her choice, with the click of a button (as of last beta) you can swap roles/souls


    To delegate tasks large and small a Guilds servant first of all

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Tuskon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triton900 View Post
    You have not played beta and even those of us that HAVE are still having a bit of a hard time adjusting to one thing...


    You are NOT tied to one roll, if your wife picks the Cleric line she will be set based off what you have described (Aion).

    She will not be bound to one "class" but will be bound to an Archtype i.e. cleric, but in the cleric line you have dps, tanking, healing, ranged dps, cc, buffs etc... mix and match as much as you like as often as you like.

    Now, I am a MAIN healer in all MMOs, should you want any healing builds of various sorts Im glad to be of help and link some!

    But try to keep in mind your wife is not STUCK with her choice, with the click of a button (as of last beta) you can swap roles/souls
    ^ This pretty much.
    My advice is have her play a bit of each type and see what she likes best, if she doesn't like one thing it'll only cost her a few gold to reset and try something else.

    Best of Luck and Cheers!

  7. #7
    Soulwalker Jingizu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triton900 View Post
    You have not played beta and even those of us that HAVE are still having a bit of a hard time adjusting to one thing...


    You are NOT tied to one roll, if your wife picks the Cleric line she will be set based off what you have described (Aion).

    She will not be bound to one "class" but will be bound to an Archtype i.e. cleric, but in the cleric line you have dps, tanking, healing, ranged dps, cc, buffs etc... mix and match as much as you like as often as you like.

    Now, I am a MAIN healer in all MMOs, should you want any healing builds of various sorts Im glad to be of help and link some!

    But try to keep in mind your wife is not STUCK with her choice, with the click of a button (as of last beta) you can swap roles/souls

    Ok, that we did not know about switching out souls and that sounds awesome, also your correct in that this friday is our first beta so If you dont mind setting us up with a cleric build based on a cpl different combos here that would be great ...I dont know whether she will wanna go with range or melee but I do know she will want to be a above avg healer with one of those combos mixed in, for soloing purposes. thank you so much for clearing some of this up.
    Last edited by Jingizu; 02-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Tuskon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jingizu View Post
    Ok, that we did not know about switching out souls and that sounds awesome, also your correct in that this friday is our first beta so If you dont mind setting us up with a cleric build based on a cpl different combos here that would be great ...I dont know whether she will wanna go with range or melee but I do know she will want to be a above avg healer with one of those combos mixed in, for soloing purposes. thank you so much for clearing some of this up.
    There are many threads open currently with lots of builds in them (even a few "Official" <insert class here> threads)

    The main healing classes are Warden (HoTs), Sentinel (AoE / Single target bursty) and Purifier (Shields / Bursty)
    Ranged is Cabalist or Inquisitor (Both have DoTs and bursty spells)
    Melee is Druid, Shaman or Justicar although Justicar is built more towards being Tankish.

    You can also play around with the talent builder to see what sounds appealing

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00___

  9. #9
    Soulwalker Jingizu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuskon View Post
    There are many threads open currently with lots of builds in them (even a few "Official" <insert class here> threads)

    The main healing classes are Warden (HoTs), Sentinel (AoE / Single target bursty) and Purifier (Shields / Bursty)
    Ranged is Cabalist or Inquisitor (Both have DoTs and bursty spells)
    Melee is Druid, Shaman or Justicar although Justicar is built more towards being Tankish.

    You can also play around with the talent builder to see what sounds appealing

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00___
    thanks Tuskon that does help a lot (the talent builder) I have been reading some of the threads too and I will point her in the right direction tommorow morning, the one thing I am reading that I think might slip her up is the changes that come with beta 6, but we will see.
    thnx again everyone for all the answers and the advice it's much appreciated.
    Last edited by Jingizu; 02-02-2011 at 11:54 PM.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Oricular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    102

    Default

    I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do too - and I played a bunch of different characters last beta.

    All of them are fun to me.

    There's not any archtype, or soul combo that I chose that I wasn't able to do well with.
    Last edited by Oricular; 02-03-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    The thunder cracks in the distance.
    Alerted, a quick glance to the right ushers forth a fast burning streak of lightning.
    He has come.


  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I also played a Chanter in Aion. The closest i think you could make on Rift would be down the cleric line. Something along the lines of a Justicar / Sentinal / ______. This gives a good mix of the melee and healing abilities the chanter had. I haven't read up on all the classes enough yet to recommend a third but something with buffs of course to fit that final role a Chanter filled.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts