+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breakthrough, making a healer fun to play...

Soulwalker

Cool Breakthrough, making a healer fun to play...

In every MMORPG I've ever played a healer in it has been a chore to balance the healing, buffing, debuffing, DPS, and cures that a healer needs to do. The difference between a DPS class and even to some degree a tank is that you are always on offense targeting an enemy of some kind (NPC, PvP). Healers on the other hand have to switch back and forth between offensive targets (enemies) and friendly targets with different systems. Often in groups/raids and even non-grouping groups you use either an assist method or tab targeting to get an enemy to DPS or debuff, but healing and buffing is either a manual click through on the screen or through an on screen group/raid window. It is usually frustrating to have to switch back and forth on these methods in groups/raids, but especially so when you are not in a group and accomplishing something (Rifts for instance). In those circumstances you don't have the group/raid window.

I am sure that other MMO's have implemented this before, but I would suggest a tab targeting system for healing/buffing of friendly players regardless of group affiliation. You could use something like the tilde key which is right above the tab. I would also suggest that when you invoke the switch of healing targets that there is an algorithm that selects the friend within healing range that has the lowest HP first and then down the line from there.

I don't propose to remove or change the group/raiding function at all, just allow cycling through friendly targets for healing regardless of whether they are in the group or not.

Please give feedback. Am I missing something? Are there plans to do this already? Or maybe healers don't want or need this functionality?

Thanks.

You have ways to address this through keybinding. I'd look there first before worrying too much about this. Also, target-of-target helps remedy some of this as well.

How does target of target work? Can you keybind that?

We didn't really have that in DAOC. We had an assist command that we could use, but it changed our main target. As a healer it would be nice to keep your tank targetted for heals, yet somehow target his target for damage without switching. Does it work that way?
    Currently playing RiftQueue.

Pretty sure the F1-F5 keys are already bound to target the people in your party.
    You could also make mouseover macros for party / raid buffs / heals

Soulwalker

So, there really isn't a way to do what I am proposing right now? I understand that you can hit F-keys to target group members, but you can't do that if you aren't in a group. What about a raid?

I'm more talking about a cycling through friendly targets within range.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcalybur View Post
    In every MMORPG I've ever played a healer in it has been a chore to balance the healing, buffing, debuffing, DPS, and cures that a healer needs to do. The difference between a DPS class and even to some degree a tank is that you are always on offense targeting an enemy of some kind (NPC, PvP). Healers on the other hand have to switch back and forth between offensive targets (enemies) and friendly targets with different systems. Often in groups/raids and even non-grouping groups you use either an assist method or tab targeting to get an enemy to DPS or debuff, but healing and buffing is either a manual click through on the screen or through an on screen group/raid window. It is usually frustrating to have to switch back and forth on these methods in groups/raids, but especially so when you are not in a group and accomplishing something (Rifts for instance). In those circumstances you don't have the group/raid window.

I am sure that other MMO's have implemented this before, but I would suggest a tab targeting system for healing/buffing of friendly players regardless of group affiliation. You could use something like the tilde key which is right above the tab. I would also suggest that when you invoke the switch of healing targets that there is an algorithm that selects the friend within healing range that has the lowest HP first and then down the line from there.

I don't propose to remove or change the group/raiding function at all, just allow cycling through friendly targets for healing regardless of whether they are in the group or not.

Please give feedback. Am I missing something? Are there plans to do this already? Or maybe healers don't want or need this functionality?

Thanks.
    in game macro:
    #show Healing Flame
    cast @mouseover Healing Flame

try it out. the spell casts on who ever your mouse is over (assuming friendly player, of course), either their character or their party/raid frame. you can do the same with any spell/ability, so it isn't restricted to casters.

with this I always keep the tank targeted, and watch the party/raid frames for other people who need healing. if someone does need healing then I mouse over their party/raid frame and hit my key that I've bound to that macro.
    Last edited by Ylei; 02-02-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound -- if I can remember any of the damn things.
    - Dorothy Parker

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Honze View Post
    How does target of target work? Can you keybind that? ?
    Target of target is a feature I first saw in EQ2, and am very happy to see in this game. You can go into your interface settings and turn it on. Then you target the tank, and if you throw a heal, the tank gets healed, and if you throw a dps spell, it hits hit target. This means the entire group can target the tank and only be hitting his target, and in theory not get aggro from some mob that tank has switched away from while you didn't. It's awesome. There's a few other options in the interface settings I would recommend everyone turn on, but I'm weird, and can't load the game to explain what they are and why I like them.

Rift Master

I seem to recall something in the last patch notes (beta 5) about a keybind that cycled through friendly targets. Didn't try it out or test it since I was busy levelling up but I think it's there.

Shadowlander

I'm fairly certain you can cycle through friendly targets via Ctrl+TAB (or something similar, like Shift+TAB, etc.).

Also, with pass-through targeting, a heal cast on an enemy will transfer to that enemy's current target (without deselecting the enemy) and an attack cast on a friendly will transfer to their target. In a nutshell, you can attack/heal without ever having to change targets.

Additionally, you can bind a key to return you to your last target... so if you need to swap targets for a moment, it only takes one button click to return to your former target.

And last but not least, you can also assign a target (hostile or friendly) as your focus. For example, you could define your team's primary tank as your focus... then whenever you need to heal him, press a button and he/she will immediately be restored as your target. Personally, I've bound Shift+E to set my focus, then E to return to my focus. This way I can easily define who/what I want as my focused target (even in the heat of combat) and swap back to them as needed with little-to-no fuss.

As far as using a conditional algorithm to select the friendly with the lowest health, something tells me that would be frowned upon as a bit too much automation (though I'd love it).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ylei View Post
    in game macro:
    #show Healing Flame
    cast @mouseover Healing Flame

try it out. the spell casts on who ever your mouse is over (assuming friendly player, of course), either their character or their party/raid frame. you can do the same with any spell/ability, so it isn't restricted to casters.

with this I always keep the tank targeted, and watch the party/raid frames for other people who need healing. if someone does need healing then I mouse over their party/raid frame and hit my key that I've bound to that macro.
    This is extremely cool, TY for posting that. I'm going to assign my single target heals to buttons on my gaming mouse and use this macro.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshotfirst View Post
    I'm fairly certain you can cycle through friendly targets via Ctrl+TAB (or something similar, like Shift+TAB, etc.).
    This. Pretty sure from beta 5 there was a keybind setting that cycles through nearest friendlies. Default was modifer+tab, not sure exactly which one.
    Detailed Cleric Guide by v!3L, your friendly, neighborhood Cleric.

Goodness. After reading some of the stuff in this game I feel like throwing up my fist and saying "you kids have it so easy, I had to walk up hill to school both ways!" hehe.
    Currently playing RiftQueue.

+ Reply to Thread